Granted I’ve only been playing for about 10 months, but I find it really hard to sing and play... in fact, the only song other then twinkle twinkle that i can sing and play at the same time is Oasis - Wonderwall... but other songs that have off beat strumming and such are really hard to sing and play... any advice?
early beatles stuff.
possibly john lennon songs
he strums chords and sings and its not that hard.
i like Eric Clapton stuff too. check it out man
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Try "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, very easy song, very easy singing. I've only been playing 4 or 5 months, but that song is easy for me.
learn the guitar part of the song so you can play it without thinking much about what you're doing. Then it will be easier to sing along. Its helps to know the lyrics very well also. Listen to the song a lot. Don't even bother to try and sing along with a song you've only been listening to for like a week. Thats my suggestion
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Quote by Gigatiran
Try "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, very easy song, very easy singing. I've only been playing 4 or 5 months, but that song is easy for me.

You are correct... i forgot that i can sing and play that one as well....
Quote by zorched
learn the guitar part of the song so you can play it without thinking much about what you're doing. Then it will be easier to sing along. Its helps to know the lyrics very well also. Listen to the song a lot. Don't even bother to try and sing along with a song you've only been listening to for like a week. Thats my suggestion

yeah it helps to kind of automate what your hands are doing and focus on singing more

wait a sec... zorched you have my exact setup with your gear!! c-1 blackjack with the same amp!! i have the EX blackjack though... so not exactly the same, but i also have a garbage squier strat that I cant even stand to play anymore since I got the schecter. lol
a lot of it has to do with timing, why some songs are easier to sing than others is mostly about how they time it. when its the guitarist singing too its usually timed a little easier I find. a lot of stuff like rhcp is difficult when he starts singing in the middle of a riff, obviously not an issue when there is a seperate singer thats focused just on what hes doing. a lot of the time I sing stuff slightly differently timed than the original because its easier and still sounds good.
Quote by Alucard II

thats impressive maintaining the arpeggio or whatever doing during the verse, but I wouldnt call it singing lol
ECistheBest mentioned early Beatles songs. Try learning You've Got To Hid Your Love Away. Its a fairly easy progression, but it has a pretty good tempo and has frequent chord changes, as opposed to Hurt or Wonderwall's slower progression.

Quote by tasty licks

wait a sec... zorched you have my exact setup with your gear!! c-1 blackjack with the same amp!! i have the EX blackjack though... so not exactly the same, but i also have a garbage squier strat that I cant even stand to play anymore since I got the schecter. lol

haha. Ya the Ad30vt is fairly common, but not so much the C-1, especially the Blackjack. Actually I got the squire after my schecter. Before anyone crucifies me let me say that I got it for free from my cousin who didn't play it. Actually seeing all of these strat projects on UG has got me to thinking about stripping it and repainting and maybe some other mods. Just for fun, as I really don't like playing it. Perhaps I can coax some decent sounds out of it.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
when I play my squier now I feel like I'm playing an chelo or something with how high the action is in comparison (maybe overdoing it a little... but its pretty bad) and the sustain is how you say... poopoo? yes I believe thats the best word for it. I want another strat but I doubt I will get anything but an american and maybe switch pickups too.
Quote by tasty licks
thats impressive maintaining the arpeggio or whatever doing during the verse, but I wouldnt call it singing lol

still impressive.
anywho, enough of my interfering. i cant sing and play very well, so i cant really help :/
i think that the main thing about it is you have to reach a point in your playign where hitting the G chord (be honest, it was NOT that simple of a chord when you first started) is second nature. Its that point where you've played all of these chords so much that the letter A immediately makes you think 222 and C makes you think 3201 instead of the just a letter. Then while your singing and staring at a chord chart, you dont' have to interrupt your singing thought process for the guitar chord change.
If you're thinking 222 while playing an A, you're doing it wrong.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
hahahahaha. yeah, make sure you're instinctually playing the right chords. but truthfully, instinct has A LOT to do with it. when you're fingers become robotic in the sense that play without you really thinking about it, you'd be amazed at what you can sing and play. i used to have problems with this as well. MAKE SURE you're playing a song by someone who actually plays and sings simultaneously. i started on a lot of bush and then moved ot white stripes. folk stuff is always good too. simon and garfunkel, stuff like that. the more you play those songs the more comfortable you will get, and then you can start doing some amazing things with your hands comepletely independent from your mouth.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
try getting the song down to a science
once u have done that try humming the vocals
then try singing along

also i would recomend using a metronome while playing and singing