when writing solos do you have to follow the numbers or notes in the scale like say E major 12345671 going up and down the next should i always be in that same sequence or can i mix it up???anybody know??
right on thats what i thought because if you did it the way the scales go it would be way to predictable. also what notes sound good when you land on the?? the root 3 and 5?? 1-3 and 5? or what?? i know there is strict rules to this because some notes in a scale cant be sat on for long even if its in the same key so does anybody know for sure what i can land on??
well im learning theory now and thats why im asking someone that might already know where i can land.you dont know do you.
When I write, I always write around the rhythm guitar. Especially with shred, like, I'll play 8 mixed notes and then play the same note for the 8th as I do for the root note of the chord for rhythm, and it sounds really good. I rarely write solos in chromatic, even if the chord progression is, because I can find a scale using the root notes.

But basically, play whatever the fuck you want, as long as it sounds good.

--Masochist Lust
If i improvise it's usually one of 3 things, either:

- a melody that comes out unpurposely
- a melody that came up in my head
- an improvation on an imitation of the style, so if we play jazz i try and pull the same tricks and sounds etc.

the good stuff i remember and sometimes use in a song
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by SaTaNsSuN36
also what notes sound good when you land on the?? the root 3 and 5?? 1-3 and 5? or what?? i know there is strict rules to this because some notes in a scale cant be sat on for long even if its in the same key so does anybody know for sure what i can land on??

I my self cant that much theory but
If its a Major or minor chord it sounds best if you land on 1-3-5 in the chords scale.
dont know about 7. chords and that shit.
theres no hard and fast rule when writing solos.You can have your notes from all over,from around a scale,or from just about anywhere.It's gotta sound good,thats all that matters.

When I write solos,I usually start from the note the last chord was,and then go on from there;Our band has another guitarist,so things are a heck of a lot easier.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
Quote by SaTaNsSuN36
right on thats what i thought because if you did it the way the scales go it would be way to predictable. also what notes sound good when you land on the?? the root 3 and 5?? 1-3 and 5? or what?? i know there is strict rules to this because some notes in a scale cant be sat on for long even if its in the same key so does anybody know for sure what i can land on??

you must land on the chord tones....
landing on the 3rd.... it will mean that your solo has not finish yet in most cases...
Dominant and tonic are the best to land, best being the tonic.... They are really stable....
I apply the same theory as cadence...

I read somewhere that notes semitones lower than chord tones are not stable....
However I do like the sound of the tritone...

Personally I don't spend much time on 7th except in blues...

As previously posted, there are no written rule except to land on chord tones...

Stay tuned
Quote by edg
You'll get the stongest melodic movement when you end one chord on the 7th
and resolve it to the 3rd of the next chord. It's not something you HAVE to do.
It's one of those things it's good to know in case you WANT to.

yeah i know its best for the rythem to end on a 7th chord so that makes sense and ill just have to try going to the 3rd next thanks and thanks to everyone else.
Quote by yan_kong
you must land on the chord tones....
landing on the 3rd.... it will mean that your solo has not finish yet in most cases...
Dominant and tonic are the best to land, best being the tonic.... They are really stable....
I apply the same theory as cadence...

I read somewhere that notes semitones lower than chord tones are not stable....
However I do like the sound of the tritone...

Personally I don't spend much time on 7th except in blues...

As previously posted, there are no written rule except to land on chord tones...

Stay tuned

sorry to post again but what are the dominant and tonic??use a for an example and by the way i am asking this more for the reason of a question in a sol not the answer cause i know when you dont land on the root it seems uncomplete so you then complet it by landing on the root.
Quote by SaTaNsSuN36
well im learning theory now and thats why im asking someone that might already know where i can land.you dont know do you.

Shut up haha I know a lot more about soloing then you do.

Theres not a rule that you have to land on any specific note, but generally the root would sound the strongest.
It has to do with the chord you are playing over and the specific situation.
Quote by edg
You'll get the stongest melodic movement when you end one chord on the 7th
and resolve it to the 3rd of the next chord. It's not something you HAVE to do.
It's one of those things it's good to know in case you WANT to.

I love these little tips, keep it up edg
yeah i always land on the root when changing to the next key say from 1-4 ill land on the root note of the 4 chord then the same with 5 and 1 but. do you know what question and answer soloing is?? when you ask a question your not completeing it meaning your not landing on a root note but when you answer it you land on the root note so what i need to know is what can i land on in a question that doesnt sound completey out of place anyhelp???whats the dominant?? the tonic,semi tonic and tri tones??? anybody??
thats stupid. ur supposed to play with emotion and just play w/e fu**in note sounds good. you dont just go ok im gonna play this scale up and down and then this one. ur a f***in idiot. play with passion man otherwise no ones ever gonna dig ur music.
dude no need to be a F--- about it which is what you are, i play with more passion than you do when when you play with your A--hol-
there is right and wrong notes to land on you just dont know anything so dont give your advice go back to your pop music.which you arent even good at.so just give up and keep playing with you know what.
If you want to write good solos, improvise them and keep the licks you like. You'll most likely have to play it a billion times if you're a beginner but it's worth the effort. I personally find improv to be more enjoyable but whatever floats your boat.