Hey guys, I'm planning on changing the tubes in my DSL401 soon and I was wondering what the best ones that I can put in it are. I read the tubes thread and according to that, the JJ tubes are considered the best, but I was just looking for a second opinion.

Additionally, are the Tung-Sol 12AX7's really the best pre-amp tubes on the market?

As for the genres I play, mainly blues/blues-rock, country and metal. Not insane high-gain metal, but BLS/Ozzy stuff.
Cleans are VERY important to me, though.

So, as you see, I need pretty versatile tubes.

Can anybody give me some final recommendations and where's the cheapest place I can order them from?
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
if you wanted to, you could figure out which preamp 12AX7 was for the clean channel and stick a 5751 in instead- you would like the effect you got.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Oh really? Like, 1 12AX7 is for the clean and the other 3 are for overdrive?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Most likely one is for clean, one is a phase inverter, and the other two are for overdrive. You can tell by looking at the schematic.

I can't give you a second opinion on the tubes since I wrote the reviews on the tubes thread, but if you describe the sound you're looking for I can mix and match tubes in my own EL84 amp and see which tube combinations get the sound you want.
I was just looking at this last night 'cause I'm thinking about spending a couple dollars and changing the tubes in my Valve Junior. The Tung-sol is my plan for the pre-amp.

Click here for a few EL84 reviews from the Tube Store.

I'll probably wind up buying from Doug's Tubes, though, because he sells a wider variety as singles.

I retubed my big amp with a complete set of JJ's, and I'm very happy with the results, but I wanted to try some different things with the little guy.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Roc8995
Most likely one is for clean, one is a phase inverter, and the other two are for overdrive. You can tell by looking at the schematic.

I can't give you a second opinion on the tubes since I wrote the reviews on the tubes thread, but if you describe the sound you're looking for I can mix and match tubes in my own EL84 amp and see which tube combinations get the sound you want.

As I said, I'm looking for a pretty versatile sound, mainly Ozzy/BLS type stuff, but I play a lot of blues as well.

Here in Israel I can get Sovtek 12AX7WA for pre-amp tubes, how are those?

About power tubes, I could only find Electro Harmonics EL84's locally, so I think I'll have to order from abroad. The question is, what specifically should I order?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
I think the JJ's would give it a darker sound, more low end. I also like the cleans from JJ... but I dunno if that is the sound you're looking for.

Roc8995 knows his sh*t.. he'll give better insight.

GL
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Actually, I am looking for a darker sound...when I use my OD pedal a lot of treble is added, so maybe this will sound better.

Roc8995, any other opinions?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Last edited by Pleiadian at Jan 12, 2007,
I'm at school right now, but I'll pick up some Sovtek 12AX7WAs on the way home and try some combinations. I'm guessing the Electro-Harmonix EL84s will be good for your style of playing, but it depends on what kind of OD you're using. I'm not familiar with the Wylde overdrive- could you describe the sound for me?

My prediction at the moment is EH EL84s, a 5751 in the clean channel, and Tung-Sols or maybe the Sovteks in the dirty/phase inverter.

Edit: Do you have the noise gate in the effects loop? That would give you a lot more options w/ preamp tubes, because you can ignore the noise they make and decide more based on tone.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Jan 12, 2007,
First off, what do you want to know about the Wylde overdrive? I mean it's based off of the Boss Super Overdrive which is what Zakk used to use, and it's very noisy and hissy. That's why I got the noise gate in the first place.

About the noise gate being in the effects loop, for some reason it didn't work properly when I tried putting it in, I tried all the possible ways but nothing worked.
If you say that it's crucial I can try getting it to work again...

*EDIT*
Oh, and I don't have the noise gate on all the time, only when my amp is on OD/2 and the OD pedal is on. For OD/1 and clean I don't use it, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible...

*EDIT #2*
Ok I've done some testing, and I've gotten to the conclusion that the noise gate is totally useless when in the effects loop.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Last edited by Pleiadian at Jan 12, 2007,
That's all I needed to know about the OD.

The Sovteks sounded crap, harsh and kinda brittle. I'd stick with the Tung-Sols in the preamp, and a 5751 in the clean channel preamp if you have one.

As far as power tubes for what you're playing, the EHs were quite good. They're darker than the JJs and were much smoother, I tried to recreate the ZW OD as well I could with my boosts& ODs and got a very liquid sustain that tightens up quite well for chords if you back off the volume a bit. The bass is also increased over the JJs, and can best be described as 'thunderous.' You'll probably have to turn your bass knob down....but maybe not.

Hope this helps.
For the clean channel you can also try a 12ay7 or 12at7.

I like the EH and JJ preamp tubes.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
All right guys, thanks for your help! That means I can buy the EH power tubes here in Israel and the pre-amp tubes I'll have to buy abroad. Can anybody recommend a site that does good international shipping?

*EDIT*
Roc8995, I just noticed that we have EH 12AX7 GOLD tubes here in Israel. According to your thread, they're a close second to the Tung-Sols. Would it be wiser to just get those instead of ordering the Tung-Sols from abroad?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Last edited by Pleiadian at Jan 13, 2007,
Bump for Roc :\
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pleiadian
I just noticed that we have EH 12AX7 GOLD tubes here in Israel. According to your thread, they're a close second to the Tung-Sols. Would it be wiser to just get those instead of ordering the Tung-Sols from abroad?

I know you're bumping for the expert, but...

I'd find some sites that'll ship the Tung-Sol's to Israel (tough enough task), then decide if the difference in cost is worth it. I'd guess, "no."
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^I agree. The EH golds are good enough that it won't be worth importing the tung-sols. They're a tad darker than the Tung-sols anyway, so that's a good thing for you.
All right!
So to sum up, I'm getting Electro-Harmonix both for pre-amp and power-amp.
That leaves the tube that handles the clean channel. 5751 you say? I can't those in Israel, what do I do?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Bump :\
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
If you can't get a 5751, you can use either a 12AT7 or just the standard 12AX7. The Electro-Harmonix version of either will be fine.
The EH 12AT7 is almost half the price of the 12AX7...is there a reason for that?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
All right man, thanks for all your help
I'm gonna keep lookin' around to see if I can find JJ and Tung-Sol tubes here, but if not I'll get all EH.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
read the tubes sticky...
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
If you would've read the thread from the beginning you would've noticed that I had already read the sticky.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by n0e
read the tubes sticky...

The tubes sticky is good as a general idea of what certain tubes sound like. If people want more specific help for their individual needs, I'm glad to help.