If you do a sweep like this:
-------12-------
-----13--13-----
---12------12---
-10----------10-
----------------
----------------

Do you barre your ringfinger?
Couse i find it a little uncomfortable to do that.
And i find it a little wierd to move it, and it slows me down.
Depends on the type of sweep. Tyically i barre on 3,5 and 6 string sweeps but this is only a recent development. I find using a barre really makes them sound a lot cleaner.
sweep has nothing to do with barre if you don't are extrem at damping with your picking hand

or?
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Jan 12, 2007,
Quote by backtothe70s
sweep has nothing to do with barre if you don't are extrem at damping with your picking hand

or?

I don't really understand what you mean. Using a barre for sweeps is an extremely common and (in some situations) very useful technique.

IMO muting with the picking hand isn't that great a technique for sweeping, at least not for me. I say this because even with slight pressure on the strings the sweep sounds fairly muddy and not as clean as a fret hand muted sweep.
yeah i mute it with the fretting hand, but when i play sweeps at the lower strings it becomes very muddy. I mute it completly with my picking when i come up to the high strings, but it dont sound no good.

|---------------8-10-8----------------------------10-12-10-------------|
|------------10--------10----------------------12----------12----------|
|---------10--------------10----------------12----------------12-------|
|------10--------------------10----------12----------------------12----|
|-8-12--------------------------12-10-14----------------------------14-|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|

In sweeps like this one (taken from Kissing the Shadows) would the three string section over the D G and B strings be barred with your ring finger, or what? Because I was told to sweep without using barres because it would be like playing a chord?
High as tits
No, that's not strictly true about not doing barre's bit. If you roll your barring finger along with the sweep then you will fret one note while muting the others. Practice just barring all the strings at any given fret and then just effectively 'rocking' the finger backwards and forwards.

I'm not really sure how i'd play that one Brick, try viewing a few videos to see how other people do it
Thanks for the rolling technique cody, that will really help! I have always had troubles with barre'd sweeps like that .

And yeah those two seem a little complicated, but if I figure it out ill record it and put it on here .
High as tits
That's okay

The rolling barre technique seems to me to be very economical and makes it an awful lot easier to quickly and easily slip into some otherwise tough sweeps quickly.

Thanks for posting in my old EC1000 thread btw, but you were about a year and a half too late I've since tried both the LTD and ESP versions and have one or the other on my GAS list.
it all sounds pretty good. just make sure the notes aren't ringing together. just practice slowly and build it up
you shouldn't barre anything when sweeping, since barre'n leads to notes ringing out. It's alright to roll your finger as well, but you shouldn't be using your right hand to mute anything. Doing so only supports bad technique
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
^ For those i may have confused, by barre i'm actually referring to putting your index (or some other finger?) down as a barre and then rolling it, not just leaving it there, as i mentioned earlier.
i knew what you were talking about boss, but its definitely a good idea to clarrify for people that dont understand
Quote by KurrptSenate
you shouldn't barre anything when sweeping, since barre'n leads to notes ringing out. It's alright to roll your finger as well, but you shouldn't be using your right hand to mute anything. Doing so only supports bad technique

he's not talking about barreing in a strict sense, that would just be a chord, he's talking about rolling your finger which is a perfectly legitimate and sometime necessary part of sweeping
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
well, if you would have actually read my post, you'd notice all of this way previously addressed, making your post extremely unnecessary
I don't, but maybe that's just me. The only time I "barre" (as in rolling your finger) is for consecutive strings on the same fret.
Hold on,

by rolling, do you mean placing your finger over the strings you need to play consecutively over a line and then just rock it from top to bottom like the bottom of a rocking chair? Can anyone find a video of this technique?
High as tits