My HDD is making strange noises. When it's being read (like when I open and application) it makes the same type of noises as a floppy disk drive. Why is this?

Only happens sometimes. Like if I restart now it wont make the noises but it just happens some days.
It's normal.. well, it shouldn't be audible inside a shell with the fans on and stuff.

Defragging might help decrease the load on the drive, which will make it quieter.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
defragging kinda sorts out all the files into more orderly places, so the harddrive doesnt need to look in so many places, (i think)

are the strange sounds... clicking sounds?
Quote by Xn00bX
defragging kinda sorts out all the files into more orderly places, so the harddrive doesnt need to look in so many places, (i think)

are the strange sounds... clicking sounds?

Yeah sort of.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Yeah sort of.

That's the head moving on and off the platter. On notebooks it's especially audible. There's nothing you can do about it, short of buying a HDD silencer.
Will defragging delete any files or change the hdd for me in any way? Also how long will it take for a 320gb hdd with about 180gb free space.
guys, i have a problem too, it just started like 5min ago when i turned on th computer- i hav no sound!!! and it's not muted by the way...
DANK MEMES
If your hard disk is making more audible clicking noises then it's a good sign that the drive is on it's way out. If I were you, i'd back up everything you have pronto and replace the drive.

Hard drives tend to have a pretty short lifespan
Quote by anewhope
If your hard disk is making more audible clicking noises then it's a good sign that the drive is on it's way out. If I were you, i'd back up everything you have pronto and replace the drive.

Hard drives tend to have a pretty short lifespan

I've had it for about 3 months.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I've had it for about 3 months.

Recently has it changed the noise it makes? Cos unless you have no case on your computer, you should barely be able to hear the drive
Clicking sounds with a constant interval are BAD!

Do what anewhope said and maybe go back to the store.
yeah defragging it won't help you at all the windows file systems are pieces of shit and defragging basically temporarily fixes them to the best they can be speed-wise.

Get a new HD. Is the one you're using SATA or IDE?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
yeah defragging it won't help you at all the windows file systems are pieces of shit and defragging basically temporarily fixes them to the best they can be speed-wise.

Get a new HD. Is the one you're using SATA or IDE?

It's SATA and I really cannot be bothered to get a new one. Unless I can ask ebuyer for a replacement to back everything up before I send it back.
Do not defrag drives that show signs that they might be defective. Defrag will put lots of strain on a HDD (move files from on physical location to another and some of those locations might be corrupt and then other files are being put there resulting in their corruption). It might actually make things worse. For now simple Scandisk might do. I'd ask the shop/person you've bought it from to replace it (if the warranty is still valid).
This is not a signature.