Which do you feel can be a better note? simpler solo definitions or petrucci- shred licks in a million notes?
Were humans.... all of us have different tastes. Dont expect to get a final answer because that is ridiculus. But if your just asking for a million opinions then id have to say a combo of the two.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
It really does depend entirely on the song. If you're jamming a "simple" 12-bar blues number, then less-complex solo will sound and, more importantly, feel better. At the same time, a 220bpm metal song pretty much requires a faster, shredding-type solo. Some songs don't even call for a solo, and it would be a sin to force one in there just to satisfy the ego of a lead guitar player.

I prefer to let the song dictate what the solo will be. If it doesn't fit in the song, then it just doesn't belong.

Best solos in my opinion start out slow and melodical, and then peak in speed and volume towards the end - it's all about dynamics. But then, that may not quite fit the song intended for it, so it varies.

When 'showing off' guitar skills to the uneducated (guitar-wise) masses, it's far more impressive to go speed. But expression is essential in any musician-based or musical arena.
Quote by IronfistGuy
Best solos in my opinion start out slow and melodical, and then peak in speed and volume towards the end - it's all about dynamics. But then, that may not quite fit the song intended for it, so it varies.

When 'showing off' guitar skills to the uneducated (guitar-wise) masses, it's far more impressive to go speed. But expression is essential in any musician-based or musical arena.

Agreed
I have seen some other threads from different forums but so far, only yours gets my two thumbs up. great job. keep it up.
Quote by IronfistGuy

Not necessarily. I don't know about the average person you talk to, but out of everybody I know, I'm pretty sure Clapton or Hendrix would be more easily recognized for their guitar-playing skills than Vai or Petrucci, even though Clapton and Hendrix can't play as fast as the other two. Sure, it is really impressive to see someone completely shred, but it would seem to me that a very carefully-written solo that lingers on certain notes. If you blaze through a Clapton solo, the audience wouldn't be able to appreciate the musicality of it; they would just hear something really fast.

As for the actual topic of this, I would have to say some combination of the two. I think it's fine to have a solo guitar playing throughout an entire song, as long as (1) it fits the tempo of everything else (no 32nd note sweeping if the vocals are going in 8th and quarter notes), (2) the volume of the guitar works (not way too loud so that it drowns out everything else, but still loud enough to be heard a bit), and (3) the notes you play serve specific purposes over the backing chords (just playing arpeggios of the chord that is being played is boring, add in some flavor, but not too much).
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by Freunleven
It really does depend entirely on the song. If you're jamming a "simple" 12-bar blues number, then less-complex solo will sound and, more importantly, feel better. At the same time, a 220bpm metal song pretty much requires a faster, shredding-type solo. Some songs don't even call for a solo, and it would be a sin to force one in there just to satisfy the ego of a lead guitar player.

I prefer to let the song dictate what the solo will be. If it doesn't fit in the song, then it just doesn't belong.

perfectly stated.
Quote by The Iron Man
But if your just asking for a million opinions then id have to say a combo of the two.

I agree. Mix it up a little ^_^