Poll: Art or Entertainment?
Poll Options
View poll results: Art or Entertainment?
Art
35 74%
Entertainment
12 26%
Voters: 47.
I had an interesting thought quite a while ago, and thought I'd make a discussion about it: Do you see music as a form of art or of entertainment?
Carpe diem; Seize the day.

Just be.

Scales are notes, not shapes, boxes, or patterns.
Artistic Entertainment.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Why would "art" and "entertainment" be mutually exclusive?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Yeah, the choices should be artistic entertainment and entertaining art.. I vote art, though, if you had to choose one.
Music is the life of all objects and things that can be expressed through sounds and recieved and translated by our ears, It can be used to express ones soul or describe the feeling one gets from an object or place, Truly great music anyways, I see it as an art far more than just simple entertainment.
And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes
my fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times
I have died, and will die.
It's all right. I don't mind.
some is art, some is entertainment, some is both.

there isnt really one way to view music. thats what is great about it.
isnt art suppose to be entertaining

people arent going to make a masterpeice without being entertained by it
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by aixelsydevahi
Artistic Entertainment.

+1

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
both. one can't be without the other. actually come to think of it, its art to those who make it and entertainment to those who listen.
Last edited by hemi-san at Jan 12, 2007,
I see it as both, but more on the Art side.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
it never felt like art @ 2am when it was me and the bassist on the stage and 10 drunk rednecks(including bartender and waitress) in the bar. WORST GIG EVER!
Not all music is art. So entertainment is definately a bigger part of it.
When I listen to music, I recognise it as an art, and I listen for entertainment.

Art is entertainment, as someone said. Why do people go to museums, or concerts, or plays, or films? It's art, but they also do it to have a good time.

If I were a teacher, I'd come up with the word Artytainment and sell it as an education program.
Definitely art, and as with most arts, it is also entertaining.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
It depends whether the music is there to amuse people or to convey some kind of message.
i is cool