Hey guys,

I've been saving for ages, and I've got around £1000 to spend on new pickups/amp... I realise the amp is the most important thing, so I'm willing to sacrifice pickups if the amp is a little more expensive... Ok, so here's then deal; pickups to go in a Schecter C-1 Blackjack, to play a sort of hybrid of hard/rock/80s metal and hard punk.

Guitar influences:

- Early Metallica ('Justice for All' and 'Ride the Lightning' era.)
- Iron Maiden
- Story of the Year (just the guitarist though, the singer annoys me!)
- Dave Baksh (ex-Sum 41)
- Avenged Sevenfold ('Waking the Fallen' era... I hate the new album...)
- Thrice

That kind of chugging, fast, galloping riffs. I suppose the songs I write for my band are most comparable to Sum41, but I'd like to think my lyrics and vocals are a tad more mature and less poppy, more influenced by the Alkaline Trio, Morrissey, Brand New, etc. However, the overall structure of the songs and style is more post-hardcore/heavy-punk , like Thrice, Alexisonfire, etc.

Sound I'm looking for:

- Very clean, clear, defined and well articulated distortion.
- Good bass and low-mid response.
- Not too inherently gainy or saturated, more a sort of pushed, cranked, cutting sort of gain.

At the moment I'm thinking this:

Pickups: Bareknuckle Miracle Man (bridge), Bareknuckle Cold Sweat (neck)?
Amp: Marshall JCM-800.?
Cab: Mesa Boogie Recto Cab (better bass response... prob, too pricey though?)
OD Pedal: Ibanez Tubescreamer (everyone agree?)

I think the trick to the sound I'm looking for is to boost a lower-gain amp, and try and get all the gain I want before the pre-amp, so it doesn't sound too modern, saturated and gainy, and instead sounds natural but driven and heavy. That's why I chose the Bareknuckles, the JCM-800 and the Tubescreamer. I thought maybe something like a Recto cab would give better bass-response and fatter sound, because JCM-800's are quite middy... But they are prob too expensive for my budget, so I might need more cab suggestions...

Agree/disagree? Thoughts? Thanks guys.
Last edited by cam_rock at Jan 12, 2007,
I like fat chugging rhythms, only I like 'em with a bit of gain, like Sum 41 and The Darkness. If you push an amp hard, I think you can achieve that.

Marshalls are famous for their midrange 'roar'. I would suggest that. Probably a DSL50, or a JCM800 if you don't mind murdering your neighbours with the sheer volume. I would suggest a power attenuator aswell.

As for cabs, there's this brand called Basson, which are reasonably priced and have a unique tone: they're built super strong and the cab is inflexible, so they get a very tight and focused sound, so you get this crisp attack with every chord (hence the term "balls", as said in Guitar World)

As for pedals, I don't use any. I prefer to drive amps naturally. A Blackjack into a marshall would get some pretty good distortion.
I guess jcm 800, or one of the other amps aimed at that tone- peavey windsor (if you can find a jcm800, though, it's probably better), splawn quick rod (over budget, but perhaps worth a look), something like that.

The recto cab will put you way over budget, it's like £800, and will likely sound too modern.

I guess, is that £1000 flexible at all?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not really... To be honest, I was being generous there hehe. That's really my ceiling.
The ibanez tube screamer yes. Is it the vintage reissue? cause that's what i got, and it sounds great. But get the reissue TS-7 if anything.
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
^ the ts7 is the shittier one.

I'd go second hand jcm800, probably a marshall cab, maybe a maxon od808, and the bareknuckles.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a Marshall 1960 cab, you can find it used for as low as 200 quid and they're quite good. For amp-driven distorion, being in the UK and all that, you should really look into Laney's - the GH or TT series; probably the GH if you're looking for heavier sound. They're great amps and the price on them is not too great.

A power attenuator is probably a must for you as well, if you're looking for the 'natural' overdrive as opposed to pre-amp gain. If you were going my way, you could get a new GH head for about 400ish, the cab for another 400 - or 250 if you're getting a used one; that'd still leave you plenty cash for a good attenuator and whatever pickups you might be looking at.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Definitely look at a JCM800. It fits around your influences more than anything.
Sent from my iPad.