in the song kashmir by led zeppelin are they playing violins? or is the guy just playing his guitar with a violin bow???
I'm pretty sure it's an orchestra. Could be synthesized, but I think synth technology was a bit too primitive in those days to sound that real.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Isn't Jimmy Page known for using a bow?
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
on physical graffiti it was an orchestra, but live, jimmy plays it with a bow and sometimes with an orchestra
I think its orchestra. Not just violins. And it cant be a guitar. There IS a guitar in it but you can barely hear it. Its clean
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
Jimmy never played it live with a bow. John Paul Jones played the orchestral parts on a keyboard.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
theres a full(real) orchestral string section on the album. live, jimmy never used a bow(for kashmir) - the riff's in DADGAD tuning, which helps with that droney sound.
Isn't there a sitar in there?
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Jimmy Page used his DADGAD tuning, and John Paul Jones played the orchestral part on his organ...if i'm not mistaken...

Edit:No sitar it's the special guitar tuning, the rest is just Pagey and Jones's work.

And next time post this in the Led Zeppelin thread in bands and artists. You'll find lots of info there.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows