In our band we are unsure what legal action we need to take because we are releasing our E.P which we are distributing ourselfs but we are getting a licence to do this. Anyway, we are told as a copyright to TAB out all our songs and get the lyrics in a envolpe and posting it to ourselves. A few freinds and a band member thinks this is a waste of time, as we can just post a copy of the E.P to ourselves and thats proof. However we also have some of our music on the internet, whats to stop someone taking this music and using it, classing it as there own , we take them to court... what proof do we have? (if we havn't tabbed the songs out, or if we have is this proof?)

Just so you know, this is for England so if you know the laws are different where you are, please don't give any information thats not relevant :p

Thanks.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
What makes you think you are good enough for people to want to steal from you?

I would do the posting to yourself thing (lyrics and TAB) if you really care that much.
UG's CHAV?

Providing Epilepsy to the masses.

Quote by Jakeylee111
^ I thought you'd been permabanned or given an ASBO or something...

Quote by xtheblackoutx
you're a sick person.

Dude. Me (and my band) were in the same situation, more or less. I actually looked at this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/copyright_your_music.html

Im not sure if its legit, but ive done it. Ive heard about posting it to yourself, but that proves nothing in my opinion... Also getting a record deal helps. They copyright your music for you then.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
I may regret this philosophy, but to me music should be open to everyone, and if somebody is so greedy as to steal my music and claim it as his own then that's his loss, no matter what the monetary gain.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
*Steals Murphin's songs*

*Makes t3h money*

*Gets the laydeez*

*Pisses on Murphins grave*
Quote by Muphin
I may regret this philosophy, but to me music should be open to everyone, and if somebody is so greedy as to steal my music and claim it as his own then that's his loss, no matter what the monetary gain.

when he talks about copyright, he doesn't talk about something that wouldn't let anyone do a cover of the song. but it'd not allow taking the song, and saying that you wrote it
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
when he talks about copyright, he doesn't talk about something that wouldn't let anyone do a cover of the song. but it'd not allow taking the song, and saying that you wrote it

Yeah, thats what I meant. If some guy took my music and recorded it, then released it, he would be the one lying to the world when he says he wrote it, which makes him an asshole. That's punishment enough.

*Steals Murphin's songs*

*Makes t3h money*

*Gets the laydeez*

*Pisses on Murphins grave*

Jokes on you fool, all my songs suck ass.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Yeah, thats what I meant. If some guy took my music and recorded it, then released it, he would be the one lying to the world when he says he wrote it, which makes him an asshole. That's punishment enough.

I think being sued up the ass would be worse.