No matter how I strum, it always ends up turning to the side or what not. I've tried holding it a variety of ways and no luck. I just bought those star picks with the holes in the middle for better grip and those don't seem to help either. Does anybody have any suggestions? Should I try rubber picks? Or maybe I should just play exclusively with my hand?
I do the same thing, its no big deal, its just the way your fingers bend. as long as the pick isnt scratching against teh strings it shouldnt be a problem.
try using thicker picks, i don't know if u strum really hard or what, but yeah thick picks have good grip, not too thick just try some thicker ones, i don't which ones u use but i recommend Dunlop Tortex pics, they are pretty good
just go back to your fave picks

if you mean your slanting it just slow down
but if your just using thumb and index finger to hold the pick, use your middle fingerjust to support the side of it and it should stop turning
so you get extra control etc
uhh...make a fist, raise your index finger a bit up and put the pic on the nearest joint and hold tightly.
Get thicker picks, I actually wear the point off the picks in a matter of hours. So, I just use the same pick all the time now. It's about a 1/4 inch smaller than normal picks and I cut a little hole in the middle. It's yellow. I'm gonna use it for the rest of my life, become famous, die, and it will sell for like 25,000, like Eric Clapton's Blackie. Anyway.
Quote by The Ted
I just use a quarter, they don't make thick enough gauge for me.

You must destroy your strings, that might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.
Quote by The Ted
I just use a quarter, they don't make thick enough gauge for me.

yeah dude, that will ruin your strings big time
Thanks for the quick replies everybody. I don't strum particularly hard or fast, i guess it's just the way I hold it that causes it to move on me. I do have some thicker picks and it does seem to happen less with them. I actually started with the thicker picks and then only switched to medium because I heard it'd be better on the strings, and was more of the standard. I'll have to go back to using the thicker ones though because they seem to fit me best.
I use to have the same problem than i bought these Dunlop Tortex picks and they stick to my fingers after i play for a while
Quote by screamsoftly
You must destroy your strings, that might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Brian May from Queen used a sixpence (English coin) as a pick
Quote by clash_rocker
Brian May from Queen used a sixpence (English coin) as a pick

He started out using a sixpence. But he now has custom picks made to be like sixpence. So technically he doesnt.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.