This is wierd, I've been playing guitar for years and years, but I was messing about before and I noticed that a lot of rhythm guitar parts are actually easier to play if you kind of rotate the pick 90 degrees clockwise and play them with the side of it, I'm amazed that I've never noticed that before, does anyone else do this? or do you have any other unconventional picking techniques?
Quote by Mr Songwriter
This is wierd, I've been playing guitar for years and years, but I was messing about before and I noticed that a lot of rhythm guitar parts are actually easier to play if you kind of rotate the pick 90 degrees clockwise and play them with the side of it, I'm amazed that I've never noticed that before, does anyone else do this? or do you have any other unconventional picking techniques?

Sometimes, when I'm alternate picking really fast, I impulsively pick at a bit of an angle. By the time my pick's worn out, there's also considerable wear on the sides!

In addition to picking at an angle, I also tend to pick around the neck pickup for really fast stuff, as the string's a bit looser there.
Quote by Holy Katana
I also tend to pick around the neck pickup for really fast stuff, as the string's a bit looser there.

I think I do that as well, your pick doesn't catch on the strings as much if you pick the strings there. Mind you I think you must pick a lot harder than me, because I don't think I've ever actually worn out a pick in my life, though I might have broken a few.
Quote by Mr Songwriter
I think I do that as well, your pick doesn't catch on the strings as much if you pick the strings there. Mind you I think you must pick a lot harder than me, because I don't think I've ever actually worn out a pick in my life, though I might have broken a few.

What kinda pick do you use? I use Dunlop Jazz IIIs, although every other pick I've used has worn out around the edges after a month or two.
No matter how you pick you're gonna wear it somehow, if you don't hit the strings completely flat then it will wear on the edges, if you do hit completely flat then it will wear that surface but the wear is spread over a larger area so it will take longer for it to become noticable.
Member #1 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club
PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo

Ibanez RG1570
Tone Zone
Paf Pro
Aria STG-003DX
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Boss DD-20
MXR ZW-44
Boss TU-2
I use either the JD 60mm ones or those thick Plectro ones, I don't really thrash the shit out of my strings when I'm picking, but the picks do get a bit of wear, I would think I normally lose them before I get anywhere near wearing them out.