Page 1 of 3
For a while now I've been thinking about joining some branch of the military when I turn 18 but I'm curious to how hard it actually is to be in it. I know you need to be tough but how tough? Anyone here know what happens in bootcamp or who has been through it? I have a while to think about if I really want to do it so it's not like I'm depending on what you say but help would still be nice.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
depends on branch of service gennerally its prety tough though in order oftoughness (gennerally) marines>army>navy>coast guard>air force.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Slightly irrelevant here, but some soldier (i think he was a sergeant major) came and gave us a talk about war at college. He basically told us how much fun it was to be in combat, which was unexpected. I reckon they train you to how tough you need to be, otherwise they won't let you be in the army.
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
depends on which unit you want to be in. you can be in the army a pc rat that sits 7 hours a day in front of a pc and they goes home.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by mikb
Slightly irrelevant here, but some soldier (i think he was a sergeant major) came and gave us a talk about war at college. He basically told us how much fun it was to be in combat, which was unexpected. I reckon they train you to how tough you need to be, otherwise they won't let you be in the army.

Well they're not going to send a guy who hates the army.
My brothers friends older brother is a marine. According to him its grueling. He said he had to jump out of buildings (we were doing it on a video game and hes like you know its not really that fun) and than he said he did some stuff you wouldn't even believe he did. But he didn't tell us what. Also, you have to be really low maintenance, but that might be a given.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
I've been wondering the same thing. I've been thinking about the army.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by mikb

Alas, another poor soul fell for the lies of recruiters. The military may be fun at times, but having bullets fly by one's head and knowing each second alive is a precious thing is not what a sober and normal human would call fun. Exciting, yes. Suspenseful, maybe. Fun, no. Know that the recruiters don't tell the truth, because if they did, nobody would join the military and we would all be forced to serve regardless of a draft.
Ibanez Custom RG 120
Epiphone Custom SG Special
Line-6 Spider III 150 Combo
Marshall MG

Quote by Paul Gilbert
"Who cares what your fingers are doing? As long as it sounds cool!"

My Website

Jon Blake Music
i was in the army for 10 years, deployments and all that, the one thing i learned is my limits. you think you know yours. by comparison to what you could become to what you are, you learn more about yourself and that is what will get you through your life
I can't say anything from experience, but from my knowledge of the subject, which is conciderable, you'd have to be a pansy to find it too difficult. They aren't going to beat you in boot camp, and they aren't going to make you go through inordinately ridiculous amounts of physical exercise. It's good for your character, and your body. You should sign up
On my expierciences (air force & army) its hard lots of training. Up at 6am every morning or earlier to do running and carring heavy guns, training is the worst.
Quote by spittle8
I can't say anything from experience, but from my knowledge of the subject, which is conciderable, you'd have to be a pansy to find it too difficult. They aren't going to beat you in boot camp, and they aren't going to make you go through inordinately ridiculous amounts of physical exercise. It's good for your character, and your body. You should sign up

lol. Except in the Navy SEALS, bud.
Ibanez Custom RG 120
Epiphone Custom SG Special
Line-6 Spider III 150 Combo
Marshall MG

Quote by Paul Gilbert
"Who cares what your fingers are doing? As long as it sounds cool!"

My Website

Jon Blake Music
^ I saw a documentary on Navy SEALs BUDS training. That was INSANE. But only pyschotics would even attempt to become SEALs, so what you said has no relevence
Isn't dreadnought in the army or something?

Or does he just pose like he is in his pics?
Need.New.Sig.
It's hard to believe people still freely join the army with all this shit going on about extended tours, reduced breaks, and all of the popular media 'documentaries' about how every soldier hates his life.
Quote by redSG
Alas, another poor soul fell for the lies of recruiters. The military may be fun at times, but having bullets fly by one's head and knowing each second alive is a precious thing is not what a sober and normal human would call fun. Exciting, yes. Suspenseful, maybe. Fun, no. Know that the recruiters don't tell the truth, because if they did, nobody would join the military and we would all be forced to serve regardless of a draft.

If by "nobody," you mean "just me, because I'm a coward," then maybe. You know people actually have the balls to stand up and risk their life for their country?
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Last edited by Gman400 at Jan 13, 2007,
Quote by MarkPlaysStuff
It's hard to believe people still freely join the army with all this shit going on about extended tours, reduced breaks, and all of the popular media 'documentaries' about how every soldier hates his life.

You're right, why the hell would someone love their country enough to serve and protect it?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Gman400
If by "nobody," you mean "just me, because I'm a coward," then maybe. You know people actually have the balls to stand up and risk their life for their country.

Yeah! Like in Iraq!

'Cause Iraq was going to fire a missle! So we came in....and KICKED THEIR ASSES!

YEAH! GO AMERICA! GO ENGLAND!

Thank God that we protected our country. Who cares about the 100,000 innocent dead? We got more oil!

FUCK YEAH!
Quote by slash_620
Isn't dreadnought in the army or something?

Or does he just pose like he is in his pics?

It's called ROTC, bud.
My God, it's full of stars!
Wow, you're a little dweeb, Mayday. First of all I didn't say anything about Iraq, second I didn't even say anything about a draft, and third I don't care about the "innocent" civilians or what you think the war is about, but if you want to keep staring at your little colorbox feeding you liberal bullcrap about the war then that's fine with me.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Gman400
Wow, you're a little dweeb.

Are you form Germany?
I am in the Irish reserves and still thinking of at least trying to join the real army but I prob wont get in cos I am colour blind (they barely let me in to the Reserves) but anyway they give us a hard time even though it is really for a laugh.

What you really need is mental endurance you dont wanna go Full Metal Jacket (Vince Donofrio's Character) do you. If you can put up with their sh1t then I advise it because you will become more self aware and other things like that.

If anything join the Rangers they trained the Irish Rangers in the First place during the 80s and the Irish ARW is seen as the best in the world so the American Rangers cant be that bad.

also be prepared to die if you join the American Military. No offence to any soldiers but many of the american higher officers have no Idea what they are doing and get the grunts into more sh1t than they need to.
Quote by Gman400
Wow, you're a little dweeb, Mayday. First of all I didn't say anything about Iraq, second I didn't even say anything a bout a draft, and third I don't care about the "innocent" civilians or what you think the war is about, but if you want to keep staring at your little colorbox feeding you liberal bullcrap about the war then that's fine with me.

Yeah, so imagine this. Terrorist's bomb the building you're staying in, and manage to kill their target (let's say it's an important advisor to the president) and your family (along with everybody else) gets killed. They were innocent. Would you care about them?

Obviously you would.

And what's all this about liberal bullcrap?
Last edited by _Mayday_ at Jan 13, 2007,
Quote by Gman400
...but if you want to keep staring at your little colorbox feeding you liberal bullcrap about the war then that's fine with me.

Oh, yeah! Because every single news station that is reporting about the War in Iraq is run by liberal sh*ts and they're ALL lying to us! It's one huge coverup! Iraq is really a nice happy place right now! More than 3,000 American Troops HAVEN'T died, more than 100,000 Innocent civilians HAVEN'T died, and there definitely AREN'T better battles that we could be focusing more on now, such as the Genocide in Sudan, and the fact that North Korea can probably hit our West Coast with their nuclear missiles.

Now that that's out of the way: I have NEVER talked to a soldier who enjoys/enjoyed the military. Training is like a walk in the park compared to what you have to deal with once you get sent into battle. Even if you go to a Military School such as Norwich in Vermont, and you are sent to protect the oil fields in Kuwait, you steal have to deal with the enemy. I may love my country, but I refuse to die for it. Life is too precious, and with all honesty, I don't feel like losing it.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Quote by mikb

That reminds me of a story. I was in a mall a few years ago getting applications to stores, and filling them out to try and get a short term job while I was in college. I was just walking around when these guys came up to me dressed in police/ security guard uniforms. They asked me if I was having any luck finding a job. I basically told them "i guess, I don't know yet" (while thinking what's it to you?) They said "they were hiring". At this time I was still under the impression they were mall security guards because they looked exactly like that. So I was interested because being a mall security guard for a couple months might be pretty cool. So one of them gave me a business card. I read it only to discover they were cleverly disguised marines. I quickly deflected my interests and basically just said thanks and walked away.
Who is going to make a spur of the moment life-changing decision from a chance encounter at a shopping mall.
Those guys are funny, they basically just lie to you about how awesome it is to be in the military.

Reminds me of this or even this
Quote by Dreadnought
It's called ROTC, bud.

I'm an idiot!

DREDIT: Edited for truth.
Need.New.Sig.

Thank God that we protected our country. Who cares about the 100,000 innocent dead? We got more oil!QUOTE]

550,000, and rising. Although that's as a result of the war, not just Allied action.
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
Quote by slash_620
I'm an idiot!

DREDIT: Edited for truth.

It was joke, i meant no offense.
Need.New.Sig.
Quote by _Mayday_

Thank God that we protected our country. Who cares about the 100,000 innocent dead? We got more oil!QUOTE]

550,000, and rising. Although that's as a result of the war, not just Allied action.

No no, see, every one of those deaths is a direct result of an American!

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by MarkPlaysStuff

i like how you put documentaries in quotes.

what that says to me is "they may call them documentaries but they're bullshitting assholes who are passing thier opinions as truth so America is brainwashed by the end result."

remember kids, michael moore is a lying bastard!
John Entwistle is my God. RIP.

listening to you, I get the music, gazing at you, I feel the heat, following you, I climb the mountain, I get excitement at your feet.
<3 tommy.
If you plan on going into the Marines, it's the mental part that's hard, not the physical part. They will break you down. Otherwise, my brother is in the Marines, and he said that the only thing boot camp did for him was make him really fat. He told me that the physical training was easy, but of course he was in damn good shape before he left.
I'm a person.
Quote by spittle8

Are you like a recruiting agent or something?

And it doesn't look like much fun to me. I'm pretty sure it's not easy.

A couple of people in my year want to join the army. Neither are the type of people you'd think would join.

And everybody shut up about Iraq and whether it was justified. The only thing that's relevant is whether it's difficult there serving there. The answer to which is probably yes. But by the time the threadstarter signs up and passes training the war will probably be over.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Are you like a recruiting agent or something?

And it doesn't look like much fun to me. I'm pretty sure it's not easy.

A couple of people in my year want to join the army. Neither are the type of people you'd think would join.

And everybody shut up about Iraq and whether it was justified. The only thing that's relevant is whether it's difficult there serving there. The answer to which is probably yes. But by the time the threadstarter signs up and passes training the war will probably be over.

yea gotta agree with that.

I wouldn't join the army though. The pay isn't all that great, (although they do help with college)

Plus, no matter what anybody says, having bullets ripping past your head is not good fun (unless you really are insane)

But don't just listen to what i say, as i have never been in the army.
Quote by spittle8
^ I saw a documentary on Navy SEALs BUDS training. That was INSANE. But only pyschotics would even attempt to become SEALs, so what you said has no relevence

one of my friends older brothers is a seal. its scary he sleeps with his eyes open.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Alright guy, you want some info on the Mil. OK here it is in the Nutshell, BOOTCAMP the toughest bootcamp will be Marines, then Army, then Navy, then Airforce. The army is so short handed that they are at this point giving thousands of dollars to people who join for "signing bonus's" Not too sure about how much the Marines are offering if any. As for the Navy and Airforice, being presently in the Navy, I have NEVER recieved a bonus of any kind nor will I probably ever if I decide to stay in. They Navy is downsizing its manning, Physical training isnt as tough after bootcamp, its basically up to you to stay in shape or you'll get booted out. Being in the Army/Marines you're pretty much GUARANTEED a tour in Iraq, Navy/airforce its probable but not likely. Your Tours in Iraq can go from 6-8 months, your deployments on a naval ship go for about 2-6 months pending on the mission and you hit alot of different ports, South America, Greece, Italy, Spain, etc etc, all Pending on where your mission is to take you. As of now they have a blue to green program that allows Sailors to cross over to army, they keep their rank and are offered up to 40,000 dollars on signing bonus'. But seeing as you'll Most Def, go to Iraq, when the hell would you enjoy it? The choice is really yours. Dont let money weigh your decision though. Any more questions just ask.
My friend is in the national guard, I know that's pretty easy stuff from what he tells me. As long as you're not a pussy you'll make it through boot camp, then after that it's only like 2 weekends of drill per month or something.

Marines are hardcore though (obviously) don't try that unless you wanna get your ass kicked, same with Navy seals.

The other branches are tough but not brutal like marines/navy seals.
Page 1 of 3