I've been playing guitar for exatacly one year.. and I think I suck. I just don't know where to go from here... I need someone to guide me, like an E tutor. I know all the open pos chords, barr chords, a few 7th chords. I know simple songs.. like House of the Rising Sun, some spanish songs, jingle bell rock, and other easy stuff. I know how to find notes using the dot octave system. I know the major scale.. WWHWWWH. Penatonic scale.. just know the basic pos.. like the one on cyber fret. I use alternate picking.. and economy picking. It whould seem that I should be good.. But I'm not playing the stuff I want to.. because I'm afriad it won't sound right and I will suck. I want to play Blues/Rock.. Hendrix, John Mayer, SRV, solo's from my fav spanish rock bands ect... Some 1 please guide me where to go from here so I can play the music I want! I think I need more theoy study.
dont worry bout the sound not being right..just try it out..may sound bad at first but im sure it will sound right after some practice..use guitar pro to help
Blues is essentially fairly simple - it works around the I-IV-V chord progression, as in the 1st, 4th and 5th notes of the scale. The simplest key is A as you can play on the open strings, A is your root (I), D is the IVth and E is the IVth. Basic 12-bar blues in ?A follows this chord pattern...you play a bar of each chord.

A D A A
D D A A
E D A A

This doesn't usually sound particularly interesting, but there's a simple moving chord shape that's used in blues and rock and roll to progress the music.

--2---2---4---4---5---5---4---4-
--0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-

If you play that you'll recognise it - also remember it's just a very basic pattern and the phrasing can be altered. Play that figure twice for every bar and you're playing a blues rhythm...if it's slow, play it fast and it's rock n roll - obviously you can play it anywhere, if you barre it you'll just have a bit more of a stretch for your pinky.

If you want to get good quickly, one of the best things you can do is download a blues backing and use your basic pentatonic pattern to solo over it...you'll be surprised at how good you can sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 13, 2007,
Not me personally, but this is going over exactly the same thing. He's playing a simpler variation of the pattern. that's all - should be a big help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZFndeSNyY8
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
1. Download some jam and backing tracks for www.btguitar.com (all FREE!)
2. learn where as many chords are on the neck as you can find. Remember, the chords ARE the scale! More chords mean more of the scale you've remembered. Think arpeggios!
3. Remember that ANY chord ANYWHERE on the neck can be moved up or down the scale. IE: play a regular old "C" chord (cowboy chord). Now, move it up 1 step (2 frets) guess what, all the notes your still "touchin" with your fingers are in the key of "D" Now, if you can "barre" the 2nd fret and still hit those three notes with your other fingers you have "D" CHORD. Now just keep moving it up the neck, E, F,F#,G, etc. Same thing works with say a "D" chord. Play a D, move it up 1 step (2 frets), you guessed it E.

Bottom line, learn CHORDS! As many as possible, they ARE THE SCALES!

Wish someone would have told me this many, many years ago!
Quote by james442
1. Download some jam and backing tracks for www.btguitar.com (all FREE!)
2. learn where as many chords are on the neck as you can find. Remember, the chords ARE the scale! More chords mean more of the scale you've remembered. Think arpeggios!
3. Remember that ANY chord ANYWHERE on the neck can be moved up or down the scale. IE: play a regular old "C" chord (cowboy chord). Now, move it up 1 step (2 frets) guess what, all the notes your still "touchin" with your fingers are in the key of "D" Now, if you can "barre" the 2nd fret and still hit those three notes with your other fingers you have "D" CHORD. Now just keep moving it up the neck, E, F,F#,G, etc. Same thing works with say a "D" chord. Play a D, move it up 1 step (2 frets), you guessed it E.

Bottom line, learn CHORDS! As many as possible, they ARE THE SCALES!

Wish someone would have told me this many, many years ago!

uumm isn't that barr chords? if you move a A shape up the neck it won't be a B or W/E this only works for barr chords where the E and Am shape is moveable up the neck! and I thought I was a noob..
Quote by soda18
uumm isn't that barr chords? if you move a A shape up the neck it won't be a B or W/E this only works for barr chords where the E and Am shape is moveable up the neck! and I thought I was a noob..

Actually, Em and A can be moved up the neck like that as well. Then you have your major sevenths and others that can work like this as well.
anybody know a site where I can learn useable guitar theory? bump this
the C, A, G, E, and D major/minor chords can ALL be moved up and down the neck using a barre! And not JUST the major or minor, but ALL chord forms can be done like that, though some don't need the barre as you are using only 4 strings and are fretting each of them.

And in an abstract manor, ALL of your scalls can be moved up and down the neck too.

Take your basic E major Diatonic or Pentatonic scale and just move the "box" up and down... simple really.

(So who's the noob now :p )

As for a site, check out www.billedwards.com out, order the Fretboard Logic SE book, and if you have the dough, get all 3 books and the dvds (or vhs if all you have is a vhs player).. a bit pricy all together, but NOT when you consider the DECADES of learning you would have to do otherwize... this book can teach you everything you need to know about guitar mechanics (read, basic ideas of how the guitar and the musical parts the guitar can produce).
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Jan 13, 2007,
1.) You're not playing what you want;
2.) You're afraid of succeeding;
3.) You're playing all those other guy's stuff.
It sounds like you know some theory, so play some stuff you like, play it for you, and let the other guys listen to you.
Quote by Outside Octaves
the C, A, G, E, and D major/minor chords can ALL be moved up and down the neck using a barre! And not JUST the major or minor, but ALL chord forms can be done like that, though some don't need the barre as you are using only 4 strings and are fretting each of them.

And in an abstract manor, ALL of your scalls can be moved up and down the neck too.

Take your basic E major Diatonic or Pentatonic scale and just move the "box" up and down... simple really.

(So who's the noob now :p )

As for a site, check out www.billedwards.com out, order the Fretboard Logic SE book, and if you have the dough, get all 3 books and the dvds (or vhs if all you have is a vhs player).. a bit pricy all together, but NOT when you consider the DECADES of learning you would have to do otherwize... this book can teach you everything you need to know about guitar mechanics (read, basic ideas of how the guitar and the musical parts the guitar can produce).

Now we know why he's having problems, if he had actually READ my response I said all that. It's ONLY THE STRINGS YOU ARE TOUCHING......WITH YOUR FINGERS......DURRRR
You sound like you've been doing too much homework, making guitar more like school than fun like it should be. Lay off the chords, scales and all that for a little while, its good that you learned it but its time to have a little fun. Try learning some songs, Purple Haze is a pretty simple song by Jimi Hendrix to learn, just have some fun.
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.