Page 1 of 3
okay, for dead people. Frank Zappa owns it all. the man was a genius in every right. there is no denying that.

for living. i think Jorden Ruddess current Keyboardist of Dream Theater is the best. his stuff is fantastic. and if you've ever heard him live, he can completly chage what he's doing into some random crap that sounds fantastic.

so what do you think?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
definately jay-z... haha just kidding rap sucks. when it comes to theory the guys tht know it all are the jazz and classical musicians. there is not arguing that, its sad they dont get the respect they deserve.
Last edited by FLrhcpEA at Jan 12, 2007,
Yeah, Satch popped into my head when I read the thread title.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
You all fail

Maybe if this thread specified rock guitarists. But jazz guitar wins it all. You have to know an insane amount of theory in jazz. Of course you can wank, but that's not jazz .

Rock, not so much. Learn the powerchord and the pentatonic scale, you're set.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Ya Satch came into my head. That guy knows everything. Umm, who else, well I would rank up there as well.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by modestmouse9191
You all fail

Maybe if this thread specified rock guitarists. But jazz guitar wins it all. You have to know an insane amount of theory in jazz. Of course you can wank, but that's not jazz .

Alrighty sir, please show me a song where Zappa, Satch, Vai, or Ruddess uses just powerchords and pentatonic. Hell, the thread didn't even call for just guitarists, hence Ruddess.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
Quote by modestmouse9191
You all fail

Thats a very ignorant statement
Quote by Floyd1122
Alrighty sir, please show me a song where Zappa, Satch, Vai, or Ruddess uses just powerchords and pentatonic. Hell, the thread didn't even call for just guitarists, hence Ruddess.

I didn't say ALL rock

Hell, i Listen to Satch, Dreamtheater, a little Vai, Zappa, and TONS more, im just saying that Jazz takes more theory than rock.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Satriani or Marty Friedman.

Both of them have this insane ability to write beautiful melodies. Listen to the song "Valley of Eternity" by Marty to get what I'm saying, some of the best guitar melodies I have ever had vibrate my eardrum.
Quote by FLrhcpEA
definately jay-z... haha just kidding rap sucks. when it comes to theory the guys tht know it all are the jazz and classical musicians. there is not arguing that, its sad they dont get the respect they deserve.

Maybe not from Nirvana fans, but they do from serious musicians, and thats what counts right?
Do you mean actual theory or ability to play cool stuff? Because most of the posts in this thread have given little regard to the actual music theory known by the musician.
I think Joe Pass would have to know quite a bit.. I could name the usually Satch or Vai but I'll say Pass.. I really haven't that much of a clue, it could be a Jazz guitarist
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

I hear John Petrucci is very knowledgable in theory.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
^+2

Yngwie Malmsteen
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
no not Yngwie. hes played maybe 4 or 5 scales in his entire career. great player, not that great in thoery.

i know these jazz guys are all crazy and whatnot with their thoery. (im currently studying jazz) but i still think Zappa beats them. and please no one ever say Zappa was a rock musician. you could not label that mans music. over his entire career he probably played every genre possible.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

joe pass probably pwns everybody else in theoretical knowledge...have you ever seen his lessons? in the beginning it starts off with Cmaj7, A7#9, Dmin7 , and G7, and somehow, by the end of his 20 minute talk about inversions, ended up with chords that i didn't even know existed...so yeah, he knows his theory - i highly doubt malmsteen could do that
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
joe pass probably pwns everybody else in theoretical knowledge...have you ever seen his lessons? in the beginning it starts off with Cmaj7, A7#9, Dmin7 , and G7, and somehow, by the end of his 20 minute talk about inversions, ended up with chords that i didn't even know existed...so yeah, he knows his theory - i highly doubt malmsteen could do that

I'd think there are so many people who know so much theory that it's not exactly correct to name one. Sure, he's amongst the contenders, but so are a hell of a lot of other jazz guitarists, Lenny Breau, Jim Hall, Jimmy Bruno, Ted Greene, Kenny Burrell, Emily Remler, Mimi Fox, Pat Metheny, Philip Catherine, Scott Henderson, and the list goes on... Not to mention plenty of composers that have abundant theory knowledge too, enough to challenge the jazz masters I'm sure.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Mr. Joe Satriani, i think is the most talented in theory. I saw a lesson on this site saying that he is not recognized for the mastery and skill he has. I agree, i just recently(a few months ago) heard some stuff. For those of you who don't know he created the theme song for Top Gun the movie. He has taught amazing guitarists such as Steve Vai.
But also you have to mention Jimi Hendrix. He totally ownde back in the sixties where a lot of new things were made and found on the guitar. MAybe he didn't know all of the chords, but he know scales and rhythm
Last edited by rocking4god at Jan 13, 2007,
Quote by rocking4god
Mr. Joe Satriani, i think is the most talented in theory. I saw a lesson on this site saying that he is not recognized for the mastery and skill he has. I agree, i just recently(a few months ago) heard some stuff. For those of you who don't know he created the theme song for Top Gun the movie. He has taught amazing guitarists such as Steve Vai.
But also you have to mention Jimi Hendrix. He totally ownde back in the sixties where a lot of new things were made and found on the guitar. MAybe he didn't know all of the chords, but he know scales and rhythm

The Top Gun theme song is not his, contrary to popular belief. And your mentioning Jimi Hendrix in this thread is downright laughable. Especially in the sixties, the heyday of so many great jazz guitarists.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Doodleface
no not Yngwie. hes played maybe 4 or 5 scales in his entire career. great player, not that great in thoery.

So what? Vai uses Lydian almost exclusively, that says nothing about his theory knowledge. Malmsteen is certain not the most knowledgeable, but he knows plenty of theory.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Resiliance

Steve Stevens!

It's odd that a guitarist influenced by Steve Howe, Robert Fripp and Steve Hackett would play for Billy Idol, but whatever pays the bills.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Last edited by psychodelia at Jan 13, 2007,
who cares
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Um, no?

Stupid thread anyway, since even if there was a definitive answer, it's likely no one on these forums would ever have heard of him/her.
Quote by rocking4god
But also you have to mention Jimi Hendrix. He totally ownde back in the sixties where a lot of new things were made and found on the guitar.

im sorry, but everything hendrix did to the guitar, was already done by either Jeff Beck or Steve Hackett. Hendrix just did these things on a mainstream level. thats all. same with EVH and 2 handed tapping, he wasnt the first, but he was the first person in mainstream to do it.

before i get flammed. i love both Hendrix and EVH. do not think i dont
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

i suggest picking up the cd called "an evening with john petrucci and jordan rudess"....it really shows the theory that both of them know....and its mostly classical and jazzy throughout....even though it doesnt sound much like dream theater, you can really see the jazz influence, especially in rudess's playing
i dont know, probably satch

but petrucci gets high regards from me too
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
mah guitar teacher. Or satch
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by FLrhcpEA

not, rap doesn't suck

dead: john coltrane or wes montgomery

alive: i'll go with vai or satch
Page 1 of 3