hey guys. so I have pickup questions for two seperate guitars.
A: Schecter C-1 Blackjack:

I use this guitar in drop-d tuning for hard rock, metal, etc. Some bands I play often on this guitar are Lamb of God, Deftones, Tool, Lostprophets, Coheed & Cambria, Children of Bodom, Alice in Chains, Rage Against The Machine, etc.

pickup config is H-H

Although I like the overall tone of the guitar, there is very little difference between the two pickups aside from what sounds like a bad impersonation of a single-coil tone in the bridge pickup. My original plan was to upgrade to an Ibanez RG1570, however switching out the pickups would be cheaper and (not sure on this) give me mostly the same tone boost.

I'm looking for a sharp, bright, sustaining tone for a soloing/riffing pickup and a full-bodied but not muddy tone for a chords/clean pickup.
Suggestions? Prices? or should I save for the RG?

B: Fender HSS MIM Strat

I use this guitar in standard tuning to play blues, alt rock, jazz, etc. Some bands are Chili Peppers, Sublime, Incubus, Cake, Stone Temple Pilots, Strokes, John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Joe Pass (I wish!).

Pickup config is is S-S-H

I really like the tone I get from my bridge humbucker for rythm playing. I think that considering how much the guitar cost me and what the standards are for that guitar, the humbucker's tone really excells. That pickup is the last one I would upgrade, the only thing I would like out of it would be a tad more body.

My main issue are the single-coils. I know single-coils are twangy-toned pickups, but the middle pickup sounds like it is trying badly to be a humbucker; it seems like it was designed for mid-neck riffing, but it is too muddy for lead work and too wimpy for rythm playing.

The neck pickup has a very noticable and at times unwanted volume boost; obviously its the solo pickup, however if I can find a well-toned replacement without the volume boost I would be much happier. this pickup has very little character in my opinion and sounds flat and screechy. I would like a crisper and warmer tone for a soloing single coil.
As with the schecter, can I find good pickups that would really help this guitar out? or should I consider upgrading to an American strat or a les paul studio or something of the sort?

I know next to nothing about pickups, company reliability, good brand names, etc. which is why I'm begging for the help of this knowledgable community! help!

thanks soo much in advance
bump. any help out there?
need:
good rythm/lead H-H setup for drop-d hard rock on my schecter

good single coil tone for standard tuning blues and alt rock on my MIMStrat
I love doing these. Probably would've got more responses in the Gear Building and Customizing forum - I might've not seen this if I wasn't so bored and awake tonight.

Okay, here are my thoughts...All Seymour duncan, by the way. Shouldn't be more than maybe 60 for each pickup.
For the Schecter:

Neck: SH-1 '59 - PAF style humbucker - Great for rhythm...great for rock.
Bridge: SH-12 George Lynch Screamin’ Demon - It's either this or the SH-5 Duncan Custom. Good for heavy rock. Will get ya some nice leads.
The Duncan Custom is higher output, and might be better suited for dropped tuning. It's pretty punchy, with a nice midrange for leads to come through the mix. I love mine.

for the Fender:

Neck - APS-2 Alnico II Pro Flat - Warm neck pickup, that'll do the blues, but also work well for alt-rock.
Middle - SSL52-1 Five-Two - More balanced middle pickup - Definitely will suit ya better than your current one.
Bridge - SHPG-1 Pearly Gates - Rude Hb toen, that's great for the blues and bluesy rock. Think like ZZ Top.

This setup should be more volume balanced...Since the bridge pickup is the highest output. I'd say your original setup didn't intend the neckup as the solo pickup, it's just that they're all the same output, but since the neck pickup is closer to the neck...the strings vibrate more freely there. The Bridge pickup should always be hotter than the neck.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 13, 2007,
Totally depends on what amp you've got. Changing pickups won't change your tone the amount you want unless you've got a decent amp. I'll second the choices that forsaknazrael gave. A Bareknuckle Nailbomb for the bridge on the Schecter would kick ass, believe me.
erm if u only play dirty then emgs 85 81. try the 85 in the bridge cos its go more output n shizzle sounds great. and emgs again for the strat the SAV set
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
some dodgy russian acoustic (accord or something)
marshall valvestate 8080 w/foot switch
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
Quote by aliwilson27
Totally depends on what amp you've got. Changing pickups won't change your tone the amount you want unless you've got a decent amp.

True. But some guitars really have terrible stock pickups with uninspiring tone. Changing em is a good step to take towards good tone.

Quote by aliwilson27
A Bareknuckle Nailbomb for the bridge on the Schecter would kick ass, believe me.

Oh yeah. Probably break his wallet, too.

Quote by ledcaveman
erm if u only play dirty then emgs 85 81. try the 85 in the bridge cos its go more output n shizzle sounds great. and emgs again for the strat the SAV set

I see a lot of people recommend EMGs around here. They're not really gonna do everything this guy wants. They're not gonna do Coheed and Cambria, or Rage Against the Machine.
And when I think blues, I definitely don't think EMG. If i WERE to get EMG, I wouldn't get their passives. There are much better options out there for single coils.
I'm looking for a sharp, bright, sustaining tone for a soloing/riffing pickup and a full-bodied but not muddy tone for a chords/clean pickup.
Suggestions? Prices? or should I save for the RG?

Dimarzio D-Sonic/Breed combo will sort you out...the RG's pickups aren't exactly awe-inspiring either.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
forsak, thank you very much for your incredibly helpful suggestions. thanks to everyone else too. I'll follow up on these, although i gotta admit i'm a bit exited to hear how them duncans sound.

oh and the amp is a 1957 Silvertone Tube head on a 2x12 cab. ^.^ my baby
Maybe it's worth checking out the Dimarzio D-Activators for your schecter. They're supposedly modelled on actives but with much fewer downsides. They sound pretty much perfect for your description.
For the strat-I can't recommend Kinman pickups enough-they have all the vintage tone but they're noiseless! They don't do humbuckers though... Maybe a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or a Dimarzio PAF Pro would be a good choice?
Anyone thought about Swineshead's? Warlock Bridge and Venom Neck on the schechter, and Condor/Dragonfly/Dragonfly on the strat? would be my option, plus them singles are £35 each, so a lot cheaper than big name brands
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.