I use an Ibanez RG350DX, and i wanna make a handle on it by digging the wood off. the position and the shape of the handle will just like the Steve Vai's sig.

is it possible?
very possible with some simple tools. but without any woodworking experience and might turn out uglier than myself on a sunday morning. which is pretty ugly.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I would HIGHLY advise against it. It will **** with your tone and you will NOT be happy. Your friends will call you a fool too. If you want a guitar with a handle that badly, buy a steve vai ibanez off of ebay or something. Trust me dude, baaaad idea.
ahhahahaahhaha

i tried the exact same thing

except...mine turned into shit

I wouldnt do it if it's your main guitar

mine was not so whatever

now instead of it being "that guitar that I never play" it's "that guitar with the hole in it"
I wouldnt do it.
But if you do descide to do it, make sure to have someone who knows what there doing do it...
Nope. That's pretty bad for your guitar. Your guitar will lose a lot of tone, and you structural integrity will surely suffer.
So if it breaks..

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH
wtf, it will probably end up looking really ackward and will sound like crap. and i hate the stupid monkey handles on JEMs, i think it ruins the rest of it. plz dont do it, unless you want to ruin a perfectly good guitar.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
You guys keep saying that it will lose a lot of tone and all, but how come Steve Vai has one on his guitars and I really don't think his tone is bad at all.. -_-
Quote by HeadacheBR
You guys keep saying that it will lose a lot of tone and all, but how come Steve Vai has one on his guitars and I really don't think his tone is bad at all.. -_-

That's because the guitar is designed to have a handle. Adding a handle to your guitar which wasn't designed to have one will alter your tone.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Yeah JEM's can have this stuff, because they are shaped to work like that and im sure they have a different wood balance formula of some sort.

It wont help much, either.
Quote by Ferrets!
That's because the guitar is designed to have a handle. Adding a handle to your guitar which wasn't designed to have one will alter your tone.

Actually, it wasn't designed to do that. he just kinda cut it himself.

to threadstarter:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/handle.htm
That should do it.

I don't believe it should affect your tone in a negative manner.
The most important part of the body wood are where the neck connect to the body, and where the bridge is attached. Otherwise, wouldn't Strats sound terrible because of their control cavity? Or wouldn't semi-hollow body guitars or hollow guitars without F-holes sound terrible because of the missing wood?
Quote by HeadacheBR

Because he as 500000000 dollar amps and rack system and pedals.

Either way, your sustain will still be affected unless you have the above gear.
Quote by Doodleface
very possible with some simple tools. but without any woodworking experience and might turn out uglier than myself on a sunday morning. which is pretty ugly.

Seeing your name and avatar, I'm not surprised.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
with the proper tools and woodworking skills ...... from forsaknazrael's link

It's possible, it's been done before, it wont mess with your tone.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
As Chris said, it wouldn't really mess with your tone, unless you have perfect hearing. Just do it, should be a fun project .
High as tits
well if ur gonna do that then go ahead but take it to a pro and let them do it... u never what might happen if u do it
Quote by forsaknazrael
Actually, it wasn't designed to do that. he just kinda cut it himself.

to threadstarter:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/handle.htm
That should do it.

I don't believe it should affect your tone in a negative manner.
The most important part of the body wood are where the neck connect to the body, and where the bridge is attached. Otherwise, wouldn't Strats sound terrible because of their control cavity? Or wouldn't semi-hollow body guitars or hollow guitars without F-holes sound terrible because of the missing wood?

Thank you!
People don't seem to think before they say anything.. -_-
I don't really get why you'd want to anyway.

But IMO if you want to go for it. It might make it sound a bit odd though.
R E G G A E
If you're going to use words like "dig" and "hole", I'd not bother, to be honest, you'll probably destroy your guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what purpose does a grip do, i thought a guitar strap held it up fine?
If you want to do it, for the love of god, please do it on a scrap piece of wood several times before you actually start on the guitar.