So Im starting a band with a friend, and when we started talking about what kind of stuff we're gonna play and it got me thinking...
Today's mainstream music sounds generic and boring and unoriginal... there are bands like Against Me! that sound original but they hardly get the attention and recognition they deserve. So what do you think is missings in todays music? What would you like to see more bands doing(or not doing at all)
lowering the emo-factor. less punk, less techno, less hip hop.

more talent, more passion for music, more good songs.
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
More horns. Bands like Streetlight Manifesto and Big D and the Kids Table are some of the best modern bands out there.
the fact that every band today is on some kind of depresant to keep up thier "image"
when the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace

Starsceam of the Decepticon Transformers G1 Club
PM irishmatt1992 To Join!
I think great guitar solo's are missing. there are never any good solo's by emo bands at all. i mean, i went to youtube and searched for a fall out boy solo, i found a video of a drunk cat, omg. yea, and full chords are good too. too many guitar players only know power chords.
Quote by jonnyrotten45
the fact that every band today is on some kind of depresant to keep up thier "image"

There's a song about that, it's called "I'm Gay" by "Bowling for Soup" they're also the oppisite of depressing.
Quote by DownbëloW
I think great guitar solo's are missing. there are never any good solo's by emo bands at all. i mean, i went to youtube and searched for a fall out boy solo, i found a video of a drunk cat, omg. yea, and full chords are good too. too many guitar players only know power chords.
There are solos. Turn off MTV and you'll find them.
I think music these days lacks inspiration..

Actually, i'd say it's driven by the wrong inspiration. People are only in it to win it, and make "hits" and shit. I say **** that shit and lets make music with some goddamned feeling.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
There are solos. Turn off MTV and you'll find them.

Well yeah, but this discussion is about mainstream music...
We need to slowly get mainstream over to GOOD Music. Whats in now? Rap, and emo. Somebody make a rap record with guitar solos in it.... Where are The Stone Roses?
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Passion is definately missing, for example, during live shows some bands go all out, use every ounce of energy, by the end of the show they're soaked in sweat, and they'll do the same thing the next night, and the night after that, just to entertain their fans. Some bands I've seen do little more than stand in one spot, and bearly break a sweat.
I have no problem with today's music, well i have a humungous problem with today's mainstream music, I like it much better having all the good music undeground. I would never want metal in the mainstream ever. I would like more mainstream bands playing more than just power chords, like ****, your in a band how can u play guitar and only strum power chords every song. BORING!!! Straighten up and use some originality and possibly a bit of chromatics. Thats my problem with mainstream music.
Quote by Jakester
lowering the emo-factor. less punk, less techno, less hip hop.

more talent, more passion for music, more good songs.

How is adding electronic sounds talentless and passionless?

Listen to Radiohead and see just how musical computers can be.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Who cares? Just ignore it. The scene will die out soon, anyway, and then the mainstream will move onto the next fad.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
i think guitar solos and soloing in general. when i used to listen to the mainstreem station, they played weezer. i noticed that lotsa there more recent songs(and not so recent) had guitar solos, and people just loved it, and then it drifted away like most mainstreem does, but i never understood why more bands didn't bring back soloing.
today there's too much whining in my opinion(in music obviously.) it's just, man , my girlfriend dumped me so i'm gonna write an emo song. and i don't mean to be an elitist bastard, i know that isn't completely true but it's true with lots of the populaur songs, and i never got that. of course there will always be bands that think like most of you and me think. but for some reason people don't buy it.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
I could care less. Let them make crappy music. I'm going to make the music that brings in a new musical era.
We're only strays.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Mainstream does exist outside MTV

There's a good chance the threadstarter's impression of mainstream music is MTV, which would make sense. Plus, when you say to turn off MTV, you mean check out stuff other than mainstream, not literally just stop watching MTV.
i'd like to see more classic rock. not this new shit. $20 says that if you walked into a school like mine and had a survey of how many people have heard of Led Zeppelin, Queen, and AC/DC and how many have heard of Fergie, 50 Cent, Green Day, and Hinder, over 95% would vote for the new stuff. theyre so close-minded that they cant accept that theres other music out there besides the new stuff. i'm ridiculed at school for knowing of 80's rock. i can accept new music to a certain point then it gets stupid. and i have nothing else to do while posting this. i'm trying to stay in the MOD contest but my friend isnt helping by sending some of her "pics"
When all else fails, ask the pit.
Quote by DownbëloW

the cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bae6jl5H1U

the fall out boy solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2kGZ2JroZ4

i think the problem with music is that most people in music see it as a bussines and not entertainment or art
More positive music. Emo alone spreads too many unhappy themes. Real punk is fine; that's just rebellious, not depressing and sad. Make more "HELL YEAH" music.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by Riddler
More positive music. Emo alone spreads too many unhappy themes. Real punk is fine; that's just rebellious, not depressing and sad. Make more "HELL YEAH" music.

i think vinne paul has that covered
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.