Ive got a Marshall dsl401 and i love its tone except that it cant get enough distortion for my needs. Ive got a line 6 pod xt live but im not a big fan of the distortions on it.

Is there a good pedal that will get me a really heavy, chunky yet smooth punk tone but still keeps the marshally goodness?
Member of the Muse > any other band club
Don't check out the Ibanez Tube Screamer 808 reissues.
Maxon's versions are better. They're the team that designed the TS series, and more Ibanez pedals.

I'd recommend checking fuzz pedals. They're pretty awesome.
IMO, fuzz > distortion.
Some good models...
The Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi...
There are fuzz pedals out there, tons of Fuzz Face clones, but most of em aren't that great...Maybe the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Classic Fuzz Pedal...I haven't tried it...
ProCo Rat (Eh, Distortion...But it IS pretty nasty distortion. )
Get a few pedals.

I'd get a tube screamer (contradiction to above!! RAWR).

Tube screamer is your best bet imo.
Try using different tubes. By the way, you, sir rock, for having the same amp as me
Oh yeah, and you can do a lot just by how Channel Volume and Master Volume are set in relation to each other. Example: If Ch Volume is lower than Master you'll get a really rocky marshall sound, whereas if Channel Volume is higher than Master youll get a sort of more Lead-y sound.
Quote by Invictious
Get a few pedals.

I'd get a tube screamer (contradiction to above!! RAWR).

He wasn't contradicting the Tube Screamer, he was contradicting ibanez tubescreamers. Maxton make Ts's as well, that are known to be better and more expensive.
I like straberry pie

don't you?

Proud founder of the PedoBear fan club. PM me to join

10000+ Free webcam girls at:
camgirls.uk
ive got a dsl401 and had the same problem......... instantly sorted with a visual sound sound jekyl and hyde
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Maxon tube screamer, or i've heard the original ibanez ones are best
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
Quote by angus69
He wasn't contradicting the Tube Screamer, he was contradicting ibanez tubescreamers.

Exactly.

Quote by angus69
Maxon make Ts's as well, that are known to be better and more expensive.

Actually, they're cheaper.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Maxon-OD808-Overdrive?sku=155025
Maxon TS-808 - $135 US.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TS808-Vintage-Tube-Screamer-Reissue?sku=150343
Ibanez TS-808 Reissue - $170 US.
And the originals go for 500 bucks on eBay.

Quote by Dimebag_abbott
Maxon tube screamer, or i've heard the original ibanez ones are best

You heard wrong. Maxon FTW.

Quote by trigs
ive got a dsl401 and had the same problem......... instantly sorted with a visual sound sound jekyl and hyde

The Jekyll and Hyde is based on the TS series.
budget? there are many options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Either crank the amp, or get an OD, or an attenuator, or clean boost etc.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
You are always going to lose some of the niceness (espesh the dynamics and bite) if you put an OD pedal in front of a tube amp, but your best bet would be to go to a shop that has DSL401's in stock and a good selection of OD pedals and ask them if you can try a few of them out with that amp, preferably with whatever guitar you've got (or something similar)
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Jan 13, 2007,
Thanks guys. I have a tube screemer on my pod xt live but it sound poo. Does anyone know if the zfex box of rock is good?

Ummm budget wise its prolly $350 Australian max.
Member of the Muse > any other band club
Last edited by Spaz10 at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by Spaz10
Ive got a Marshall dsl401 and i love its tone except that it cant get enough distortion for my needs. Ive got a line 6 pod xt live but im not a big fan of the distortions on it.

Is there a good pedal that will get me a really heavy, chunky yet smooth punk tone but still keeps the marshally goodness?

as mentioned, try a tubescreamer, try maxing out the volume on the OD pedal but keeping the distortion at zero
I have a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver that I put in front of my DSL401, gives it a nice extra kick, maybe try one out too as well as a TS.
tubescreamer or a Blues driver, bring up the level, and adjust the tone to a point where you dont hear a tonal change from the amp to the pedal, then adjust gain according to how much you want to add. itll sound great.

i used to use a line 6 pod too, but even in my amps effects loop it really kills the tone and makes it sound super sucky! PODs sound better straight to a soundboard, or for recording riffs and stuff.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
I suggest a clean boost. IMO a TS808 sounds best driving an amp right on the edge of distortion into distortion, and not getting more distortion from an already distorted setup. It makes it sound muddy.
Maybe something along the lines of an MXR Microamp. I also have some in my signature.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I say clean boost. If you like your amps sound and you just need a little more balls, the clean boost will get you there. Most OD's will color the sound, but the clean boost is just like turning your guitar up to 11.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2