When I strum the first string (e) on the first or second fret it sounds like the metal string hitting the metal fret.

the guitar is tuned properly but still makes a metal rattle noise.

is it time to change the string???
yeah, i have the same problem on my guitar with the g string, hopefully someone can answer this haha cause i keep forgetting to ask
I think you will find that the strings action is too low, and when you fret at the first fret, it is also touching the fret below it (the 2nd fret), and when you fret it at the 2nd fret, it touches the 3rd fret. You need to raise the action a tad.

Next time you play, fret the string that is playing up, and hold the guitar so you can view the string horizontally so you can see if it is touching the fret below it.

Raising the action involves adjusting the truss rod, which I could explain what to do, but it would be safer if a professional at your guitar shop does it for you. (you should get it re-strung while you are at it, it doesn't cost much).
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 13, 2007,
Could be a truss rod issue too. I'll post more in the morning.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by DJaye
I think you will find that the strings action is too low, and when you fret at the first fret, it is also touching the fret below it (the 2nd fret), and when you fret it at the 2nd fret, it touches the 3rd fret. You need to raise the action a tad.

Next time you play, fret the string that is playing up, and hold the guitar so you can view the string horizontally so you can see if it is touching the fret below it.

Raising the action involves adjusting the truss rod, which I could explain what to do, but it would be safer if a professional at your guitar shop does it for you. (you should get it re-strung while you are at it, it doesn't cost much).

that is what it's doing when i play first fret it touches the next fret right down to the 4th fret then lifts off.
Right down to the fourth fret? Wow, you action is way too low. I could explain how to raise it, but you really should take it to a pro and have it setup properly again.

EDIT

There are two ways of raising the action.

1. Put a shim under the saddle, which raises the action, but you need to remove all your strings in order to do that, or

2. Adjust the Truss Rod, and raise the action that way, all that involves is turning the allen head nut that can be seen by looking in the sound hole, where the neck joins the body.

Ideally, there should be a 1mm distance between the string and the forth fret (get a 1mm guitar pick, or a credit card, and use that to gauge the distance)

Ease your string tension back before doing that, and only turn the truss rod a little at a time (about an eight of a turn), that way you can't get into trouble.

Fold a small square of paper and put it between the strings and the first fret, if it becomes harder to pull out, you are lowering the action, or if it is easier to pull out, you are raising the action.

When in doubt, get a pro to do it. (The most preferable method)
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 13, 2007,
Check out www.frets.com . They'll explain the issues...DO NOT use the truss rod to adjust action...thats not what it is for.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Yeah, it's not truss rod if it's in that range. The slots in the nut are probably too deep for the gauge of strings that you're using, you could try shimming it like DJaye said, or just take it in to any shop for a basic setup and let them fix it.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless