So i'm doing my occasional tune-ups on my standard strat, and i have cleaned everything up, but im fiddling with the height of the pickups, and im wonderin'? A) How does the height effect sound as well as strength and sustain? B) Why are most of the pickups tilter higher toward the higer strings and C) Why is the bridge pickup angled towad the bridge by the higher strings, and further by the lower ones.
Oh also intonation is when the open and the twelfth fretted note of the same string are both tuned, right? if so how close to both being in tune do ya'll get when you intonate (??) the bridge?
One last thing, im not sure when i noticed this, but only upper tone knob seems too affect the sound, the lower one doesnt change anything, is this normal? But the upper knob works on all pickup selects so it doesn't bother me too much.
Last edited by Typheyed at Jan 13, 2007,
A - Think of the pickup in relation to its magnetic field. Don't put them too close, this can result in some nasty overtones.

B - To get a little more hotness outta the lighter strings.

C - To give the lighter strings a more trebly sound.

For intonation, I used the twelfth fretted and the natural harmonic at the 12th.
Intonation helps out a lot...It'll make your notes sound more in tune across the fretboard.
Quote by forsaknazrael
A - Think of the pickup in relation to its magnetic field. Don't put them too close, this can result in some nasty overtones.

B - To get a little more hotness outta the lighter strings.

C - To give the lighter strings a more trebly sound.

For intonation, I used the twelfth fretted and the natural harmonic at the 12th.
Intonation helps out a lot...It'll make your notes sound more in tune across the fretboard.

What he said... that pretty much nails it.
Here's a more in-depth look at it
A) Pickups are generally magnets, so if you would put it too close to the strings, it'd just pull the strings instead of sensing its good vibration. If you put it too low, then there wouldnt be much vibration to sensor. So, too high = muddy sound + too high pitched on the high frets, too low = bassy + lower volume and string response

B) Because default/factory setups/most ppl set their action angled so that the bass strings would be higher than the treble strings. Reasons are simple, it is to differentiate different string height so that when you pick you wont get stuck. It is also because you want to achieve low action with minimal fret buzz (you can get lower with the high strings but not the low). There are more certain reasons but that should be enough for now

C) Gives less twangy sound for the bass strings and normal/more twang on the treble strings. Try picking far away at the back and as close as possible to the bridge (acoustic guitar works too). You'll hear it more twangy then you'd pick normally close to the fretboard. Pickups tend to pick the vibration back there, thus TWANG!

- Intonatation of the strings should be perfectly the same for the open note/12th fret harmonics and the 12th fretted notes. Even if you miss a cent, it'll affect more on higher frets.

- Both are subject to your pickup position. If im not mistaken, typically the middle knob is the tone control for the neck pickup whilst the bottom knob controls the tone on the middle pickup (the bridge pickup does not have a tone control).
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Jan 13, 2007,
LAright, Thanks that pretty mus=ch usms up what i was wonderin'. Thanks, and i don't think i want to fiddle with the electronics just yet even though i would rathe have one of the knobs control the bridge (or at least i think i would.)