So I just have a couple questions concerning some amps im looking at. My first is, what is the difference between the deville 410 and 212 sound wise. the only thing i can guess is the 212 would have a more solid sound, but im just wondering which one would be the better choice, and what the differences in the sound would be like.

also on a different note, I was also looking at the fender deluxe, the 40 watt, and I was wondering how it compares to the deville, as in quality, tone, pretty much everything.... and if i should save some bucks and just get the deluxe, or splurge on the deville.

so if you guys had any input or knowledge to share i would def. be appreciative. thanks.

\\\
The preamp section is the same in all three. If you're going cheap, get the deluxe. If you play mostly modern rock get the 2x12. If you're doing blues and classic rock get the 4x10. Sorry, I'm feeling too lazy for long explanations.
4x10 will give you a more twang based sound, mostly around its cleans and slight over drive. So that is suited to blues and the alike.

2x12 is your normal speaker set up. So that would have more balls if you get me.
^ I wouldn't use those rules of thumb. From a blues point of view I thought the 4x10 sounds a bit thin, I'd always go for a 2x12. But it's all preference, you need to try em both.

EDIT: I mean to the post two above me, not the one right above me.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^Well yeah of couse, but thats how the 4x10 sounded to me in the shop (not eq'ed enuf I guess) Yeah its all opinion, try em out man!
Sure, it's all opinion. Everyone's ears are different and so are everyone's tastes. My comment about the 4x10 is derived from the idea that the Deville 4x10 is a modern knock off of the Fender Bassman 4X10 which is considered one of the best blues amps ever. If you don't like it, though, don't get it.
BTW, when I said thin I meant compared to a 2x12, not thin in a bad way.

Most of the people around here have the 4x10, including most pro guitarists. So it's either more popular, or people tend to buy what's in the store cause no one usually has the 2x12 in stock.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I owned a 212 for many years. A great sounding amp at volume 6 or so... However, no large auditoriums would allow me to play any louder than 3. It is a very loud amp that has terrible stock gain for anything other than blues and such. If I ever got another one I would definitely change out the tubes and the cheap speaker. Though I doubt I will. In reference to the initial post, I have never played a 4x10 myself, but a friend of mine that has been playing for over 40 years that owned a modified 4x10 told me that my 2x12 had a lot more balls to it (so I imagine the 12s make quite a difference in low-end).
I have the 212. I went with that because it has more of a warm sound than the 4x10 since smaller speakers are generally more trebley. And its got better lows. All around a better choice.
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster
Don't forget that the 4x10 is a bastard for carrying around! That thing weighs way more than the 212!
*shameless plug* if you're in the UK you might want to think about buying my deville 212...
As has been mentioned, they are very loud amps. The 4x10 can fill up a large auditorium without distorting. So if poweramp breakup is your thing, then you might even wanna look into the Deluxe since it's 20w less. It's still loud though.

I'd personally go for the Deluxe. If you want the 2x12 sound you can always hook up a cab, but it will end up being more expensive.
Quote by Gabel
Id go for a Deluxe with new tubes and new a speaker.

Check this one out:
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/modshop/modshop.htm

If you are limiting yourself to a Fender hotrod style amp.... then I would also suggest considering nothing more than the deluxe if you will be playing live (re-tubes and speaker changes can be researched after the fact). If it is just for recording, practice, or small venues I would even suggest the 15w Blues Jr. which is also pretty loud, but will breakup earlier and give a great tube tone without your pant legs blowing off.
Last edited by 4regt4 at Jan 14, 2007,
say is this thing an all tube amplifier? cause i'm reading the site at the moment and it says they got a solid state rectifier. what's with that?
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Nolly
Don't forget that the 4x10 is a bastard for carrying around! That thing weighs way more than the 212!
*shameless plug* if you're in the UK you might want to think about buying my deville 212...

According to musiciansfriend the 410 is 50 lbs and the 212 is 54 lbs.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...