Hi one of my friends whose a guitarist is playing bass for my band are there any exercises he can do that will make his fingers better for playing coz currently he can only use a pick
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
When I started playing bass for my band, one of the things that I did a lot was just practice on one string, and then two, and so on and so forth. If it's a matter of just getting the right hand working (assuming he's right handed), then give him some easy bass lines to work with, like the one for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. Then go to some not necessarily harder bass lines, but more complicated ones, like "Longview" by Green Day.
Dont be offended by this, but get yourself a real bassist.
Otherwise the Bass in all of your songs will probably suck..
All of the guitarist-turning-into-a-bassist-'cause-noone-else-wants-to think is horrible, the guitarist keep treating his bass like a weird guitar, and cant hadnle it properly that way.
Get him using his right hand's index and middle fingers. Tell him to practice playing this way at various tempos and on all the strings. Show him how he can do different combinations of using his index and middle fingers.

Key - i = index and m = middle
---------------------------------------
i m i m i m i m
i m m i m m i m m i
m i m i m i m i
m i i m i i m i i m i

See what I mean? Make sure he's also getting a consistent sound when playing with both fingers without a compressor.

For his left hand he should do scales in all 12 keys, arpeggios in all 12 keys, and chromatic scales. If his left hand is sorta small and it's hard for him to reach from the first fret to the fourth fret, then tell him it's ok to use just fingers 1, 2, and 4. He'll only be able to span a major second but...it's better then him ruining his hand. Once he gets up past about the 6th fret though then he can play with all fingers on the left hand.

Here's an example of a simple chromatic like exercise that he can do and that everyone should know.

-------------------------------------6-7-8-9--9-8-7-6--------------------------------------
--------------------------6-7-8-9------------------------9-8-7-6---------------------------
---------------6-7-8-9-----------------------------------------------9-8-7-6---------------
----6-7-8-9---------------------------------------------------------------------9-8-7-6----

Instead of doing that at the 6th fret, he could of course start anywhere, but with small hands frets 6-9 are easiest to start with. Then he can gradually go down the neck over time.

If you want any more exercises I'd be glad to post some more!
Quote by BassistGal
Dont be offended by this, but get yourself a real bassist.
Otherwise the Bass in all of your songs will probably suck..
All of the guitarist-turning-into-a-bassist-'cause-noone-else-wants-to think is horrible, the guitarist keep treating his bass like a weird guitar, and cant hadnle it properly that way.

That's not true at all. It might take about a month or so to get the flowing with the bass, but a guitarist that turns bassist can do a lot of things that a regular bassist can't because guitarists think differently. And unless the musician sucks, then it won't be a bad thing.

And furthermore, it's not so easy to just go out and find a bassist. Not a lot of people can play bass. Everyone goes for guitar or drums.

And honestly, I'm not sure how I could not be offended when you're saying it's horrible. But whatever.
^This somehow reminds me of the comment Roger Waters made in an early Floyd interview, that he went from lead to rhythm guitar and then finally became the groups bassist, and was fearful that one morning he would wake up and find himself as the drummer.

Many people, including yours truly go from guitar to bass. Its not unusual and it isn't a given that your ability to play another instrument will be hampered by starting out on another.