hey, i have thought about this a while now and well, want a answer xD

If i play a solo in a song that goes like this for example:

C G D A

should i then switch scale from Cmajor to Gmajor to Dmajor to Amajor and so on...? =/
Or witch scale should i play for that comp?
Må Den Svarta Älgen Ta Er!
instead of asking you should just try it out and see what it sounds like really.

I tend to just use the scale that fits the key of the song if I'm improvising but if I am writing a solo then I look at what you described.

Use whatever sounds good to you because there is no right and wrong with what your asking!

EDIT

NAother thing to look at also if you are going to do that is if the scale should be major or minor. Even if the song is major some notes can be deminished or minor and what not. I'd give an example but i'm not really into music theory.
i see, thx m8, but if a song starts with a g it doesent matter witch scales i use in the rest of the song?
well, that last chord should theoretically be an A minor since your chord progression is in G Major. So solo in G major and when you have more minor chords for a different part of the song, you can switch to Em Pentatonic.

Chords you can use in G major:

G Am Bm C D Em F#dim
Quote by cheames
neither is great. The Fender is bad though, unlike the Behringer which sounds so bad that it makes you want to stab out your own eardrums with a blunt pencil . hope that was helpful.

Guitar
Expert
No...definatly Not You Should Stay In The Key Of C As Its Your 'root Chord' So To Speak, What You Can Do However Is Play At Different Octaves To Give Your Solo Some Character! But Having Said That There Are Various Music Style That Do Switch From Key To key, Jazz Being a good example of this!
Last edited by savier at Jan 13, 2007,
Quote by savier
No...definatly Not You Should Stay In The Key Of C As Its Your 'root Chord' So To Speak, What You Can Do However Is Play At Different Octaves To Give Your Solo Some Character! But Having Said That There Are Various Music Style That Do Switch From Key To Jazz Be One Of Them!

chords for key of C:

C Dm Em F G Am Bdim

if he was in the key of C, the D chord and A chord would have to become minors. the first chords he mentioned are the 1-4-5 of G so it would be much easier to stay in G major
Quote by cheames
neither is great. The Fender is bad though, unlike the Behringer which sounds so bad that it makes you want to stab out your own eardrums with a blunt pencil . hope that was helpful.

Guitar
Expert
put it simply. it is the note that can be played throughout the song without it sounding wrong.

Obviously it is more complicated than that but thats the basics of it
the song goes in D not G or C or whatever you others have said?

the progression doesen't have to be wrong because he haven't wrote Am instead of A.
I think it's in the key of D
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Good point i just looked at the starting chord of c to be honest! but yes our man below is right G would be an easier key! although i would personally use a g minor(or Amajor which ever you know it as!) scale over those chords!
Quote by backtothe70s

the progression doesen't have to be wrong because he haven't wrote Am instead of A.

bra C isn't even in the key D.

Technically it would have to be (with an A-->Am change) C Mixolydian.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
i think everyones missing the point. He gave that progression as an example to try and explain what he wanted to know.
Quote by backtothe70s

this mans gone mad! lol
I´m sorry
I've been like this all day

didn't think long enough
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
hehe well, i'm a bit confused but sure it'll do, the exampel i gave is actually the jimmy hendrix song hey joe, but it was a long time ago i played it so it may be a Am in the end, im not sure.
threadstarter: next time you should probably give an example that doesn't get all of us off-topic :snyper: . Stay in the same key.

For example:

If an extremely boring song's entire chord progression was A E Fm D for the whole song (and doesn't change keys), then you would pretty much play the whole song in A. If it suddenly went to D A G (just an Example), you would go to D. Then, if somehow the song changed keys to A B E , you would play in A Lydian, or E with an A root (check out the lessons on this website about modes).
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Quote by backtothe70s

ah, it could be in D, too, didn't see that. but that would mean that the C would have to be minor.
Quote by cheames

Guitar
Expert
okay thanks, i've just start playing scales so a have pretty much to learn.
thx all.
That's what modes are for, basically if the songs in "C" for example your root note is C when your playing the C chord, when your playing the F chord, the root note is F, and so on. IE: try an old rock & roll ditty in the key of A (A,D,E) and every time you change chords make sure that note is the last note in your current lick, or the first note in your next lick. It actually SOUNDS like your changing keys! TIP: download the trial of Chord Wizard from www.chordwizard.com Awesome software!