Hey there all you ladies (or gentlemen pretending to be ladies, if you really want to you can join in, I can't tell from here anyway.)

I'm researching into my target audience for a brief I'm doing and that audience is

FEMALE VIDEO GAMERS!

Already many of my preconceptions have been shattered by what I have found but I've only tipped the iceberg. I would like you all very much to help me understand the opposite sex and their gaming habits so that I can use your research for my degree. I'm genuinly interested in what you have to say as well so please take you time and fill as much or as little as you want in and then just repost it. Simple!

Thank you very much for your time ^_^

1. How long have you been a video game player?

2. What kind of games do you like playing? Why and examples?

3. What kind of games do you DISLIKE playing? Why and examples?

4. Which consoles do you own and why? Why not the others?

5. do you agree, that the video game industry uses exploitation unneccessairly in both games AND advertising in order to get an easy and wide market? and if so how does that make you feel?

6. how do you feel about nintendo and sony using the colour pink on their consoles to attract a female audience?

7. if you could change the ways that games were marketed to women, or perhaps in a more unisexed manner like the wii/DS, what would you change about it and why?

Now some aesthetic (what appeals to you) based questions. Try and give as many examples as you can

8. What do you like to look at? (imagery, certain films, colour schemes, tv programs, cartoons, anything else) Give examples generously

9. What do you NOT LIKE to look at? (Same as above but opposite if you catch my drift)

10. Which cultures visually appeal to you? Could be a countries culture and its colours , a kind of sub culture like the metal scene.. anything you want and as many examples that suit you.

11. and finally, who are some of your favourite artists/illustrators/idols or just some people who's image you like?

Thank you so much if you've managed to get this far through the questionnaire, I'm forever indebted to you and as a small thanks, feel free to claim you now own a small portion of my soul. How cool is that? Use it for whatever purposes you see fit. (bragging rights, creepy shrine of other young mens souls.. bargaining chip..)
Taste the whip! Castlevania away!

Quote by trouble37
My best friend wrote my girlfriend a note that i found in her purse, it said sorry for popping your cherry, what does that mean?????

Quote by METAL HED 89
u cant evne spel metlaica ure not a realy fan

Last edited by tenchi at Jan 13, 2007,
couple of years. maybe four.
japanese anime style ones. kingdom hearts, final fantasy
girly games. anything with the words "pink" "girlz" or "barbie" in the name frightens me
Playstation 2 , nintendo DS
5. do you agree, that the video game industry uses exploitation unneccessairly in both games AND advertising in order to get an easy and wide market? and if so how does that make you feel?
i dunno. but they do.. it doesnt bother me, theyre not exploiting me in particular.
6. how do you feel about nintendo and sony using the colour pink on their consoles to attract a female audience?
i think thats pretty cool, like that theyre thinking about audiences other thatn male ones.
7. if you could change the ways that games were marketed to women, or perhaps in a more unisexed manner like the wii/DS, what would you change about it and why?
um, i like playing guy games. with shooting and gore.

8. What do you like to look at? (imagery, certain films, colour schemes, tv programs, cartoons, anything else) Give examples generously
anything anime, manga (ex final fantasy, trinity blood), futurama, mtv, my computer, photos of friends, photots of warm places
9. What do you NOT LIKE to look at? (Same as above but opposite if you catch my drift)
outdoors when its snowing, ugly people, cheap movies, anythin with lots of people, my self
10. Which cultures visually appeal to you? Could be a countries culture and its colours , a kind of sub culture like the metal scene.. anything you want and as many examples that suit you.
i love japanese culture. everything there is soo hi-tech and cool
11. and finally, who are some of your favourite artists/illustrators/idols or just some people who's image you like?
i like the image of taking back sunday, theyre a really cool band. also again, i love japanese culture, and just everythiung about japan.

i hope i answered your questions satisfactorily.
The only truly consistent people are dead people.

Dude, try gamefaqs.com there's tons of female gamers there...
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
Dude, try gamefaqs.com there's tons of female gamers there...

Thanks for the tip, i'll pop over there.

Quote by trouble37
My best friend wrote my girlfriend a note that i found in her purse, it said sorry for popping your cherry, what does that mean?????

Quote by METAL HED 89

I promise I'll post later! =D
-- UG's One and Only Chocolate Chip Cookie --

All the bands come out to see all the other bands. We're all friends, so there's really no need for competition. Everyone has their own sound and their own style.
-- Layne Staley

I think between 10 and 12 years.
RPGs, real time simulators/strategy and games in the vein of Grand Theft Auto. RPGs because I love to read and a good rpg is like a an interactive book. (Any of the Final Fantasy games, Xenosaga, Persona 2) Real time simulators because I like the level of strategy that needs to be used to succefully play one. I also like being given control over my surroundings and the outcome of it all. (Romance of The Three Kingdoms 8, Monster Rancher, Harvest Moon, any good war game) The last one because it's fun to be able to run rampet in a simulated world and see how my actions effect the game and unlock weird little secrets. (Bully)
Badly made action games, games that are too short and games with bad stories. Bad action games tend to rely on gore and the amount of enemies you face to try and hide the horrible controls, bad story, boring combat and vapid characters. (Rygar for PS2) Games that are too short are just not worth the money, especially when they have a low replay value. (Kessen, Soul Reaver 2) Games with bad stories just piss me off and make me lose intrest in the game. None come to mind at present.

PS2, gameboy color, super ninteno because they were gifts, I only really play the PS2 anymore. I can't afford others right now.
YES. It annoys me.

I think it's rediculous. The only girls who would be swayed into gaming because of the color of the console are ditzy idiots who have a big list of gender stereotypes where their personality should be. And I think we can all agree that the last thing gamers need is more negative stereotypes.

I would show more women playing action games and dark rpgs because the vast majority of advertising only shows guys playing these games. I'd stop all of this pink console bullshit because it's pointless, insulting and condescending. I'd make games that had female main characters who had just as much depth and strength as male main characters as opposed to being damsels in distress, airheads or bitchy sex objects with one or two good one-liners because there is a huge lack of badass female characters in video games.

Now some aesthetic (what appeals to you) based questions. Try and give as many examples as you can

Color schemes that use alot of black and red or are just dark in general, blue, red, gray, green, things that give a creepy or gothic vibe like old churches, castles, dark streets, borthels, caves and forests. Natural beauty like rainforests, fields, mountains, oceans, lakes, etc. Movies with graphic fist fights or violence of that nature like A Clockwork Orange. Scenes of torture like the pictures of the tortures used in the Spanish Inquisition, depictions of mythical creatures without the cheesy D&D sheen, city streets, bars, animals.

Bright color schemes with alot of pink and yellow, cutesy cartoons like the Teletubbies or Dora The Explorer, sitcoms, family-oriented movies, any picture that has a baby or young child in it.

Feudal Asia and medival Europe(weaponry and architexture for both) the punk scene(Dyed hair, cool hair styles, DIY cloths, leather, boots, tattoos, piercings, tight pants, band shirts.) the goth scene,(corsets, high heeled boots, dyed hair, cool hair styles, piercings, tattoos) tribal cultures,(war paints, ceremonial garb and rituals) The S&M scene ( leather, whips, chains, collars, etc.)

11. and finally, who are some of your favourite artists/illustrators/idols or just some people who's image you like? The Casualties, I HATE their music but I like the way they look, The World/Inferno Friendship Society, the way they look reminds me of the 20's and they make good music, Siouxsie Sue because I find her look to be very feminine and attractive, creative use of eye makeup and for writing good songs.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Last edited by CowsWithGuns at Jan 13, 2007,
im no chick but all the ones i do know that like games definetely like RPG's ie FF series world of warcraft stuff like that. they like the social aspect, where you can meet people and do stuff with friends. i dont think most of them would like lone gunning it with a shotgun and some zombies.
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
Quote by Phantom-x
im no chick but all the ones i do know that like games definetely like RPG's ie FF series world of warcraft stuff like that. they like the social aspect, where you can meet people and do stuff with friends. i dont think most of them would like lone gunning it with a shotgun and some zombies.

heh you would be suprised, alot of the responses i get a from girls who love gears of war and stuff but yeah i had the preconception that not alot of girls would be into that. mind opening stuff this.

Quote by trouble37

Quote by METAL HED 89

Quote by tenchi
heh you would be suprised, alot of the responses i get a from girls who love gears of war and stuff but yeah i had the preconception that not alot of girls would be into that. mind opening stuff this.

I know alot of asian girls like playing online games...(and no wonder, japan and south korea have way better internet connections and they basically invent all the mMORPGs)
Thank you very much for your time ^_^

urrr forever? ha

prince of persia (hottie :P), halo, destroy all humans, simpsons hit and run, oblivion

footballlll, basketballlllll, army games

xbox, because they have best games

5. do you agree, that the video game industry uses exploitation unneccessairly in both games AND advertising in order to get an easy and wide market? and if so how does that make you feel? pround to be a ladie haha i dunno, doesn't really bug me... we use men to advertise fat unemployed dudes in commercials....

6. how do you feel about nintendo and sony using the colour pink on their consoles to attract a female audience? good try..

7. if you could change the ways that games were marketed to women, or perhaps in a more unisexed manner like the wii/DS, what would you change about it and why? its pretty much fine...

oblivion has killer graphics, nice color schemes. i like to watch south of nowhere and mxc and colbert report on tv.... uhhh... i like lots of deep/ thoughtful movies, not slash em up, blow em ups

9. What do you NOT LIKE to look at? (Same as above but opposite if you catch my drift) smash em up, blow em up..

asia

dunno
Thank you so much if you've managed to get this far through the questionnaire, I'm forever indebted to you and as a small thanks, feel free to claim you now own a small portion of my soul. How cool is that? Use it for whatever purposes you see fit. (bragging rights, creepy shrine of other young mens souls.. bargaining chip..)
since I could remember

I like strategy games and RPGs. Like Civilization and Fable for example. Oh, I absolutely love Postal 2. It gives me a chance to be completely insane and gross.

Most first person shooters. Though it's fun shooting everything in sight I'd rather have a challenge. I can pwn at Halo and CS though.

I own all but the PS3. I'm waiting until they come out with more PS3s to get one.

I honestly dont care. It's about having fun with the game.

Hey, whatever's clever. I dont care what color my console is, as long as i'm having fun with the game.

I wouldn't change a thing.

8. What do you like to look at? (imagery, certain films, colour schemes, tv programs, cartoons, anything else) Give examples generously.
I prefer to have things be easy to look at. Light color schemes and round edges. I like things to flow I guess.

9. What do you NOT LIKE to look at? (Same as above but opposite if you catch my drift) Jagged edges...and strobe lights

Visually? hmm, i'd say Italy, when I was there I was in the country part and i remember the hills and all that.

as long as it's cartoons, I love it. Especially Calvin and Hobbes.

And i'll keep your little bit of soul in a nice jar I decorated. I even put a leave in there!

not very long,...more like off and on. I just started back up again

I dont like violent games really..sometimes i do, so Halo & metal of honor are the only violent games. I like fun adventure games like monkey ball and skilled games.Grand Theft auto is good though...

I dont really dislike anything, just whatever is good, but I guess a game i dont like is Perfet Dark Zero, it just doesnt interest me.

I play mostly on the computer, but i have a few old consoles like gamecube,saga saturn and nintendo 64

I dont really care, I dont pay attention to commericals, the Halo commericals amaze me but I dont really focus on anything else.

I think thats GREAT! I have a pink gameboy advance i barely play it anymore but I like that fact its pink and I like how nintendo is including everyone!

I didnt know this was going on as i said before I dont pay attention to stuff like that.

I like to look at things that attract my attention, colors and rainbows. Something cute and fun, I dont like boring things. I love abstract art so movies like A Clockwork Orange really appel to me. maybe that will give you some examples.

Boring stuff, bland nutral colors bore me

Jamaca because of the tropial waters and all the fruit (not becasue of weed), anything with dancing like Spain or New Zealand becasue its just beautiful. A beautiful sceneary goes a long way

I love many people I love the 40s look and I try really hard to look like it. It very classy and beautiful. So Christa Aguilera (not a fan of her music) and Rene Zellweger.