EL84 + THD YellowJackets
6 55%
THD Hotplate
4 36%
Other (post the suggestion)
1 9%
Voters: 11.
hey. firstly cheers for reading.

I'm wanting to turn my Laney GH50L (2x12 cab) up past 2 on the volume to somewhere around the 6 or 7 mark (or wherever the "sweet spot/natural overdrive" is) without it being so damn loud! theres a huge volume jump from 0 to 1. At the moment it has 6l6s in it. I've done a few searches on here and google and i think i have 2 options, but you might have better suggestions though, so im keen to listen.

1st Option:
buy THD yellow jackets (the EL34 plugs) and then buy a set of matched pair of JJ EL84's. THD claims the wattage will be reduced down to about 20 watts from 50.
From what I've read EL84's are more vintage than Hi-Gain, so I decided to listen to some of Joel_Grieve's DSL401 clips, and the EL84s appear to do hi-gain well enough for my liking. will add an overdrive pedal... boss od-3?

Estimation in AU$:
matched pair JJ EL84s: $35 (ebay)
THD Yellow Jackets: about $150 (ebay)
OD pedal $140 (ebay) total: $325

2nd Option:
Treat my amp to matched pair of JJ EL34's(they sound far better than 6l6's in the GH50L according to the people on Paul Gilberts forum) and buy a THD Hotplate. Not to keen to buy a hot plate though, unless one for a good price is on ebay (australia). I read they can suck tone (but the THD one does it the least).. but thats opinion, and I've had no experience with one.

Estimation AU$
matched pair JJ EL34s $50 (ebay)
THD Hotplate RRP AU$599 total: $649 (will be less than that)

I'm shifting more towards the first option, due to the price factor and me wanting to buy an rg7321 as soon as i can.

sounds like: think Paul Gilbert, Megadeth, Dream Theater & Black Label Society. I won't be going heavier than that i'd think.

im not looking for suggestions of a new amp, but if thats the only option please do tell me.

thanks for reading.. all opinions welcome!
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Last edited by 1570-Shred at Jan 13, 2007,
if I had to choose, I'd use EL84's w/ Yellowjackets because I'm not a big fan of attentuators. Maybe combining this with an OD pedal would help as well
yeh not a bad idea.
I have been thinking about an ibanez ts808 reissue/maybe boss od-3 (but im I'm open to suggestions.)
I'll also just research how much each option is going to cost me and edit my first post.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Last edited by 1570-Shred at Jan 13, 2007,
Yeah the EL84's in the Yellow Jackets are very good. Ive got Yellow Jackets in my Plexi and id reccomend them to!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I think you'd be better off with an attenuator. Even if you halved the current wattage, it'd probably still be quite much roaring; besides the attenuator would give you more flexibility in terms of volume as well. And I don't think they hinder the tone as bad as people claim they do, anyway.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
^He doesn't halve it, i have Yellow Jackets and i have a Plexi which is louder than a GH50. He drops output alot!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

thanks for your help.

It looks like im going for the yellow jackets and EL84's.

i'm also going to search the threads for good quality Overdrive pedal. I'm not sure if this will be needed until i've put the EL84's in, but I'll research anyway.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
It will be alot quicker to break up but a 20w amp will still be loud at 6 or 7. With a band it could be fine, but at home it would be too loud.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
yeh those numbers were just a guess at where it might break up..

at home i don't play too loud... I mainly just do exercises with a metronome and then songs that i need to learn.

With a band i've never been able to turn it up anywhere near where it will break up.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
^ Yea, well the sweet spot on alot of amps regardless of wattage seems to be a bit above half to me. A 20w amp at that spot should be alright in a band.

Try out something like an AC30CC1 on the 22w mode to see about where it will break up, it might give you a rough idea of the volume you're looking at. If you're in Melbourne Manny's music and Allans music stock Vox.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Well even if it says its gonna be 20 watts, its basically 15- 20 watts. Try something like a Laney VC15 and you get what it sounds like. Oh and they break up quite quick actully, at 5 mine reaches the sweet spot!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^yes theyre good, but Yellow Jackets won't take away the tone. Plus if its to loud you can get a Weber in the long run. I have both a Weber and Yellow Jackets and with the Yellow Jackets you only need to use very slight attenuation so it won't colour the tone
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ Sounds good, a mix of lower wattage and slight attenuation would sound better than just heavily attenuating the thing.
Quote by Gabel
Well even if it says its gonna be 20 watts, its basically 15- 20 watts. Try something like a Laney VC15 and you get what it sounds like. Oh and they break up quite quick actully, at 5 mine reaches the sweet spot!

Firstly threadster great choice of amp, i love my GH50, extremely loud though, i dont have any problems as i live out of suburbia.....

Yeah my VC15 soounds great from about 5.5 onwards..... Great little amp
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by TGM
^ Sounds good, a mix of lower wattage and slight attenuation would sound better than just heavily attenuating the thing.

Yeah. The Weber uses a speaker motor to, which means you get all the thing as on running the amp on high volume (feedback:headbang. Plus the Weber is fairly cheap to and very good with only slight attenuation. I haven't notticed any difference in tone at all between attenuating and using the amp without the Weber
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

ok well im going with the yellow jackets (dads paying for them ) and then if i'm in need of an attenuator i'll pick one up. Most likely the Weber.
you've all been a great help too.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
^

The Weber are great, better than the Hot Plate IMO. The Yellow Jackets are a great choice. I find it kind of intersting that once i got Yellow Jackets alot of other persons are...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Wouldn't the EL84s change your tone ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
do any of these other people have clips? keen to hear them.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
^Well i have clips of my Plexi with Yellow Jackets, just click the link in my sig

bluespunkmetal: Yes, but the tone is very similar to EL34's and not as much as an attenuator can ruin your tone.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

yeh i checked your clips earlier.. helped me make my mind up.

Do you know of anyone else with el84 clips?
clips of more metalish/hard rock tones would be great.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Just FYI, here's a short bit written about swapping tubes to EL84's. It's written about Hot Rod Deluxe's, but the stuff should still apply.

Using an EL84 Adapter
There are a few adapters on the market that allow us to swap our 8-pin power tubes for lower gain British EL84s, which have 9 pins. The most commercially popular adapters are THD Yellow Jackets, Jester Black Jacks, and Ruby Tubes' Tone Bones (respectively). All convert your amp from Class AB to "Class A," and because they incorporate cathode bias, you do NOT need to rebias. (Note: I do not know if the amp is converted to true Class A, but I seriously doubt it.) Installation takes only a few minutes, and involves pulling the old tubes and replacing them with the adapter. Most companies include a set of EL84s with purchase of their adapter.

What about the sound? At home most guitarists think their amp sounds just as loud as it did with 6L6s. The fact is you probably won't find that drastic of a difference until you're in a band situation, like practice or a gig. So expect a 3dB deviation. (Be sure to take this into consideration, because this might be the opposite of what some people are looking for.) Consider the 6L6's low end thump swapped for the EL84's richer, crunchier, and more compressed overdrive—less roundness for more bite. The compressed feeling will only become more pronounced as the amp is turned louder, and the amp will just "feel" different. The change in volume doesn't seem to take place until the clean channel is turned passed 4 or 5 on the dial. At 3 or 4 the HRDx sounds pretty loud and clean, but any further and the tubes will begin to overdrive. Many guitarists admit the change sounds good, but some confess that it "gets old after a while." Gone is the big clean bottom of the 6L6s, often times the reason they bought the amp.

If you'd like to experiment with a different flavor of sound, but don't want to buy a whole new amp, an EL84 adapter just might be what you're looking for. Expect to pay around US$100, just be sure to get the adapter that's designed for 6L6 replacement.

From: http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/tooloud.html
Quote by sheumack111
Firstly threadster great choice of amp, i love my GH50, extremely loud though, i dont have any problems as i live out of suburbia.....

Yeah my VC15 soounds great from about 5.5 onwards..... Great little amp

You can't whine. I have a GH100L!