So today, I decided to take the plunge and put my amp on 12, with my guitar all the way up as well.

It wasn't much louder than when I keep my amp on six.

I mean, I took off my earplugs for a moment, and It was damn loud, but it seemed like if I were in a semi large gig hall it wouldn't fill it up at all...

Yes, I realize that's what PA systems are for. But this bothered me. Should my amp be a lot louder on 12 than on 6? Do I need new tubes?

thanks
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Not sure, but heres what mine does.

My fender frontman 15g practise amp (solid state) doesn't get much louder past 5 or 6, out of 10.
yeah...

but this is a tube amp, so I'm sure it's much different...

I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm not kind to my amp, I don't think I let it warm up/cool off long enough. And I play loud...

Does anyone know if I may need new tubes? I bought it used, it was made in 96 and I've never replaced them...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
You probably should replace the tubes if theyre that old, but I'm not sure thats why the volume is funky.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
Well... I have a Fender DeVille and it's so loud that I have never gotten it past 3 out of 12 without hurting myself.. Hahaha. That's so sick.
Quote by hamish5178
yeah...

but this is a tube amp, so I'm sure it's much different...

I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm not kind to my amp, I don't think I let it warm up/cool off long enough. And I play loud...

Does anyone know if I may need new tubes? I bought it used, it was made in 96 and I've never replaced them...

What amp? How long since the tubes were replaced? Made in 96', how long have you had it with the same tubes?
its because most fender tube amps use thes volume pots ,, i forget the term for it , or them but they pretty much reach their max volume around 6 or 7 and the rest just adds overdrive
you win , im stupid
erm...well after a while, it wouldnt seem to be getting any louder becuase your ears can only detect an increase in volume past a certain point or something.. this is probably bullshit.
What the guy above said, though it's not just Fender. On a lot of tube amps you'll only be getting more drive, not more volume at the higher volume settings, that's just how they work (at least as far as I'm aware)
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by cheames
erm...well after a while, it wouldnt seem to be getting any louder becuase your ears can only detect an increase in volume past a certain point or something.. this is probably bullshit.

No, no, you're kinda there.
Like...I believe to detect a "doubling" of volume, there has to be a +6 dB increase.
And that doesn't happen for a 5 watt until you hit the 50 watt range.

Now, I'm not familiar with the DeVille...but 60 watts of tube will definitely fill a hall, dude. It's enough to cause hearing loss.
Your tubes are fine.
I don't think you should worry too much; I read some reviews on this on MF a while back and a lot of people mentioned lack of volume increase after a certain point. I wouldn't worry about it, but if your tubes are 10 years old, you could easily have tons of other problems.
Well Fender doesn''t use Audio taper pots and then they will affect volume alot up to 5 and after 5 they do very little.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009