Ok, basically I am not sure at the moment which of these amps are better for my style. The JCM900 or the Carvin Legacy. Both cost the same for a 100-watt head. My styles range quite a bit - everything from crystal cleans to biting hard rock (Disturbed is the hardest I go). I do find myself generally in the hard rock area a lot though and I do a bit of shredding. Basically the lead tone on the Carvin is amazing, and very unique, but I am not sure if it has enough gain to do any hard rock rythm. Also it cleans are better than the JCM900. I do not want fizzy metal gain from either - just enough to do some heavy hard rock. Either way I will get an ibanez/maxon tubescreamer to help these things out. Thanks!
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I'd suggest the Carvin, just because it is indeed, as you've noticed, unique. Everyone and their dog have a Marshall, with the Legacy you'd at least sound different. (Not necessarily better though, haha )
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Yes, that is one of the reasons I really like it, but will it give me enough juice for heavy stuff? And how will it perform if I scoop the mids a bit. And no, I cannot unfortunately try either and I am buying off ebay. Thanks
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Well as far as I'm aware, the Legacy actually has quite a lot of gain, it's just that it sounds a bit different from more common amps like Marshalls or whatever. If it doesn't sound quite right for you, you could always get a pedal and keep it on the clean settings, it's got great cleans so it'd make a good base for any tone.

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Ok, great, well I am a tone freak - I get that from being a studio producer - so I will NOT be sticking an MT-2 on my clean channel to get a heavy tone!!!! A tubescreamer on the distorted channel should work if I need it though - correct? Thanks so much
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Yeah basically you could always use an EQ or a drive/boost/distortion/whatever pedal to shape the tone on your Legacy - as long as you do like its base tone and just want to make some adjustements to it. If you like Vai's sound at all, get it. If you think it sucks - don't, simple as that really

Yes I do like Vai's tone, but I would like to get it heavier than that. Would sticking 6l6's in there instead of the EL34's help, or should I just go with the Marshall if I need more gain?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Not many (actually, none) Marshall amps have more gain than the Legacy - they just have a different tone. Different tubes would of course give your sound a different shape, though they might make it worse just as they can make it better, it's kind of hard to tell until you try it... I guess if you're really more into hard rock and more modern metal/nu metal stuff than shred/lead playing, you're better off with something other than Carvin; Hell, if you were thinking about other brands than the Marshall/Carvin "duel" I'd give you a lot of suggestions instantly; I've only been trying to coerce you into the Legacy 'cause I dislike Marshalls

A JCM900 would probably do you more good than the Legacy I guess; why not consider other brands though?

Sure - well what other brands do you have in that price range for a US buyer? Oh, and I do not really want a Peavey 5150. It is a great amp, but the tone is not for me, and the cleans suck. So yeah. Also, cannot find any well-priced Engls over here - this isn't Europe. Mesa's are cool, but everyone has a Mesa and they sound too processed to me. Once again, I haven't ever heard a Mesa produce a variety of tones. I don't know about Laney's - but I have not found any for very that price that were any good. Don't really like Fallen Angels either. So yeah, lol have fun recommending with that in mind. I'm darn PICKY!!!!!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

I hate Peavey 5150's myself so Don't really know what Laneys cost over there, but you really shouldn't have mentioned this name in a thread with me, since I'm going to preach now. Seriously though, for the types of music you've listed you should be looking at the Laney TT, the head alone would cost you about 1100$ I imagine, and the combo I guess about $1500 - $1700. If your budget goes that far, definitely worth thinking about. It's a three-channel monster with a beautiful clean and great reverb, and two very nice drive channels. It's not anywhere near a dual rectifier gain-wise, but still plenty enough for hard rock and most metal. Very easy to configure one of the gain channels for rhythm and the other one for lead, convenient and cool. It's got an effects loop, a midi connection, and comes with a footswitch. Two separate volume controls (+the channel volumes) and a couple extra switches on your gain channels to shape the sound further. I'm playing it through a 1960A cab and I must say I find it tons better than the JCM's - much more versatile and it's got a great tone of it's own; unlike the Marshall 'crunch' which had been overused by anyone and everyone. I'd send you a few soundbytes but my TT is currently parked in my bedroom and I don't really have a proper mic anyway - though I'm getting one by the end of the week so if you're in no rush I can try getting some samples; prolly wouldn't have a chance to turn it up past 2 or so in volume though so that won't do it much justice. If you have a store you could try one out at, definitely do so - I think you'd love it as I love mine.

Definitely check the Peavey JSX then, just like you I didnt want the 6505, as the cleans are ridiculously bad. I tried out the JSX and the cleans were crystal clear and sparkly, also the crunch channel can sound a lot like the JCM 900 so you have your rythm channel there, and it also is excellent for lead as it is Joe Satrianni's signature head.
Thats my two cents, I've never been happier with mine so read into it abit.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Yeah, I am sold on the JSX except for one thing. My restrictive budget. Currently I have a guy who is selling me the Carvin head for $450 used. The closest I can find a JSX for is around $800 - almost twice the cost. And i still have to go get a cab - planning on an Avatar closed back loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. Basically I was hoping a Maxon OD-9 could with the Carvin could get me the heavier tones. Oh, well maybe not. So yeah, any suggestions on things under $600?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Go for the Carvin.
Its the best deal,
and IMO JCM900's are mediocre...
I played an original JCM900 (not the new reisues) a few days ago, and it was pretty weak all around..
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join