Page 1 of 2
Hi, about an hour ago I bought a Marshall 9001 (3-channel tubepreamp).
And something is wrong...! The lead channel volume is really low. If you turn up the master volume to full, the sound isnt louder than a pair of headphones.

Its equiped with 3 12AX7/ECC83 tubes.

Its an old preamp... Made year 89-93 (dont know exactly).

I assume the Electrolytics are old... and maybe should be changed.

Maybe the tubes also have to be changed. Dont know how old they are.

Can you tell me what the problem is? Plz
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Last edited by Thewolf_and_man at Jan 13, 2007,
the first thing you should do is change the tubes. 90% of the time that's the problem.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Ok, thanks... what tubes do YOU recomend? I play mostly rock, hardrock,metal and powermetal.
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
EH... ok.. but isnt that kinda low-price tubes?? Should I go for JJ or is thoose the dark sounding?

Gabel... Föresten... snackar du svenska?? :P
// Angus Young

+1
Jo jag pratar svenska, jag bor ju i Sverige! Kul med en svenks här

(the thing above just said i talk swedish).

JJ's are dark sounding from what i hear, EH might be kidna cheap but theyre very good!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Fan.. grymt.. en svensk... Ålder??

EH it is then :P Anything elso to recommend (if Im unable to get EH`s in sweden)??
// Angus Young

+1
Well Thewolf__and_man, snälla adda min MSN, den står i profilen!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Hi, about an hour ago I bought a Marshall 9001 (3-channel tubepreamp).
And something is wrong...! The lead channels volume is really low. If you turn up the master volume to full, the sound isnt louder than a pair of headphones.

Dumb question I know, but I'm assuming you're running it into a power amp?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah.. a kustom 16 watt :S
// Angus Young

+1
Um...that's not exactly a power amp , to make the most of your preamb it should be going through something like this.

http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=2623

Your Kustom is nowhere near powerful or good enough - also it's got it's own pre-amp so you've already got a line level output going into the input. You may have fried something in your Kustom which could be the root of your problem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 13, 2007,
Dude... can u tell me why the other channel is loud enough then?
// Angus Young

+1
Last edited by Thewolf_and_man at Jan 13, 2007,
EH are the industry standard.
theyre cheap and good.
just get some of thos in the same model your amp takes. it makes a big diff.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
Dude... can u tell me why the other channel is loud enough then?

That had me thinking, I don't know all the ins and outs of how a tube amp works so this is a genuine question. Does the preamp use different tubes for each channel? I thought they used the same tubes and in that case then you're looking in the wrong place if they work on one channel but not the other (just like the power amp suggestion).

Of course if it uses different tubes for different channels then yeah new tubes may just fix it.
I'd say, if it's solely a preamp, you need a proper, dedicated power amp to run it.
If your amp has an effects loop you can bypass the amps preamp and use its power amp and cab. Still, won't sound amazing. The tube poweramp really provides the balls to your sound.
Quote by treagar
That had me thinking, I don't know all the ins and outs of how a tube amp works so this is a genuine question. Does the preamp use different tubes for each channel? I thought they used the same tubes and in that case then you're looking in the wrong place if they work on one channel but not the other (just like the power amp suggestion).

Of course if it uses different tubes for different channels then yeah new tubes may just fix it.

It depends on the amp. For example, my Boogie has 5 preamp tubes. The first one is called the "input tube." The second one is for gain for the Rh 1 and Rh 2 channels. The third and fourth are the gain for the Lead channel as well as the reverb. The fifth tube is for phase inversion.
Hi, I'm Peter
If your amp has an effects loop you can bypass the amps preamp and use its power amp and cab. Still, won't sound amazing. The tube poweramp really provides the balls to your sound

Somehow I don't thing a 16 watt SS practice amp will have an FX loop...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Somehow I don't thing a 16 watt SS practice amp will have an FX loop...

my crate gx10 had an EFX loop.

On the effects loop suggestion, how would you do that? just pug it in directly? no looping, right?
You don't want to use a preamp on top of another preamp, so here's how to bypass the amps preamp and just use it's power amp and cab.

Guitar -> Preamp input -> Preamp output -> Effects loop return

It's not going to make a huge difference in sound, your sound will still be lacking and sound pretty weak due to the crappy power amp. Worth a try though.
Unless it was an absolute steal it would have been better to just buy a distortion pedal...it's not really going to be any use unless you're looking to build a rackmount rig.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Listen...

My setup: Guitar--Effectpedals--Marshall9001preamp--Kustom16watt.

I know that the Preamp have Send and Return jacks for the pedals.. but somehow, i cant get it working, So the pedals goes before the preamp in my setup.

No, my amp dont have an effectloop. Its not digital.

There is 3 channels, and 3 tubes... I dont know if its one tube per channel, but I assume its not, couse thats a waste of tubes and Jim Marshall wouldnt do have such a dumb idea!
What I mean with waste of tube is: U can use the same tube for all the channels.
Thanks for tryin to help me
// Angus Young

+1
Anyone?? And BTW... How hard is it too change preamp tubes?? ´(im Not too stupid)...
// Angus Young

+1
You probably need a tube preamp, without it, you'll be missing half of the tube sound. Those are pretty expensive too.
Yeah... Im probarly gettin an second hand Marshall 20/20 EL34 im birthday-present...
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by Charso
You probably need a tube preamp, without it, you'll be missing half of the tube sound. Those are pretty expensive too.

The 9001 is a tube preamp.

Changing the tubes is simple. To change the tubes in my MP1 I just have to take the top plate off, pop the tubes out and put in a new set, easy as that.
Last edited by Guitarmiester at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by Guitarmiester
The 9001 is a tube preamp.

Changing the tubes is simple. To change the tubes in my MP1 I just have to take the top plate off, pop the tubes out and put in a new set, easy as that.

oh darn, I meant poweramp, sorry.
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
No, my amp dont have an effectloop. Its not digital.

Uhh dude, all an effects loop is is a break between the preamp and poweramp sections of an amp where you can place effects. There's nothing digital to do with it.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Oh, sorry, didnt read carefully :P

Quote by Charso
oh darn, I meant poweramp, sorry.

The 9001 is a preamp. I bet my life! Im sittíng next to it and it says : Marshall 9000 series guitar tube preamp 9001
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by Thewolf_and_man
Oh, sorry, didnt read carefully :P

The 9001 is a preamp. I bet my life! Im sittíng next to it and it says : Marshall 9000 series guitar tube preamp 9001

Yeah, I know, I freaking know, I'm saying that you'll probably need a tube POWERAMP to power it, not a solid state poweramp.
He doesn't need a tube power amp in order for it to work, it'll work fine with a SS power amp, but a tube power amp will sound much better. With a SS, it'll most likely sound somewhat thin and weak, not much definition to his sound.

need a tube POWERAMP to power it

The power amp doesn't provide the actual source of power for the preamp, they each have their own separate power supplies.
So, now... I have opened it, and I checked the power-caps and the tubes.

The tubes is: 3 identical Ruby tubes 7025 High Grade, The thing is: One of the tubes is white in the top, the two others are black. Anything strange?? the white one broke??

The caps were all ok. All power caps are 33uF 450volts uncharges all the same speed.

Why is the Lead channel so quiet?? :P
// Angus Young

+1
Pics? When I got my Mod4 MkII ADA MP1 the chorus/flanger wasn't working, but was an easy fix, I just had to adjust the chorus trim pot. I'm not too familiar with the 9001's schematics or anything, maybe a pic of the insides will help. Is there a trim pot for the OD(s)? My MP1 has an OD1 and OD2 trim pot that can be adjusted. But, in your case, it may just be the tubes, not positive.
Quote by Guitarmiester
With a SS, it'll most likely sound somewhat thin and weak, not much definition to his sound.

I don't think that qualifies as working. Who wants they're amp to sound thin and weak, with less definition? I know that they each have their separate power supplies, I know that poweramps don't provide power to the preamp, I'm saying that a tube poweramp will give it the sound it was meant to produce, give it enough juice to reach the volume it was meant to.
Yeah... There is a trim pot. 220k BTW. its controls the "crispness". I can fix pictures, probarly later today.

And the tubes wont come out of its sockets :S
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by Charso
I don't think that qualifies as working.

Why the hell wouldn't that "qualify as working?!" That makes no sense at all. You can use a SS preamp with a tube or SS power amp, modelling preamp with a tube or SS power amp, and a tube preamp with a tube or SS power amp. A tube power amp will obviously sound better, but just because he'd be using a SS power amp does not mean it doesn't 'work'.

Quote by Thewolf_and_man
Yeah... There is a trim pot. 220k BTW. its controls the "crispness". I can fix pictures, probarly later today.

And the tubes wont come out of its sockets :S

They come out, they don't pop right out though. Try lightly pulling and wiggling the tubes side to side at the same time.
Ive tried for like 20 minutes pulling them out.. Its like somebody have glued them on with locktite...:P
// Angus Young

+1
Page 1 of 2