I was wonderin if someone could post a step by step guide to repainting our guitar, starting from sanding right to drying.

Some questions i have our whether we have to hang the guitar while painting it or can we keep it on the floor and paint it and then hang it to dry? How long should i let it dry and what kind of paint to use.

Also ideally how many coats of paint should we apply

I do have somewhat of an idea on how to paint the guitar but these our some of the questions i have and also if someone makes that step by step guide it will positively reduce the no of threads

Cheers,
Murt112
www.reranch.com

they have good tutorials.

About the the hanging: I would get a metal coat hanger and make it so its straight, from this try and make a hook which your guitar can hook onto and you can also hook over something like a wooden beam so that you can spray it while it's hanging.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
i had a related question, and i didnt feel like starting a new thread, so i have sanded my guitar, and all i really want is to clear coat it b/c i really like the maple look, but i have been looking for tutorials and have yet to find one
do i just do like four coats and then sand it then do another four coats, because that is what some i met at a local store told me?
it seems to simple....
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by RHCPfan01
i had a related question, and i didnt feel like starting a new thread, so i have sanded my guitar, and all i really want is to clear coat it b/c i really like the maple look, but i have been looking for tutorials and have yet to find one
do i just do like four coats and then sand it then do another four coats, because that is what some i met at a local store told me?
it seems to simple....

If you don't want to stain it, yea, you could just apply the clearcoat. Depending on your budget and availability of tools, there are many ways to finish it.

The most expensive and desireable route is to go with Nitrocellulose, which is used on most high-end or custom shop guitars. There's an inexpensive brand popular with guitar finishers and it's from Lawrence - McFadden

If your budget is tight, the clearcoat from Duplicolor (yes the car spraycan variety) or Krylon have been popular with amateur modders here.

ReRanch 101's Rule of Threes:

"For the first wet coat (after wiping with the tack cloth) make three passes and stop. The surface will probably not appear very shiny as it dries to touch. (If it does the coats may be too heavy). Now let this first coat dry at least three hours. Tack cloth the finish and make three more passes. As you proceed, wetter passes become safer to make so you may want to slow down the guns movement as you spray. These passes will appear wetter as the finish gets deeper. Let this coat dry at least three hours. For the last coat of the day, tack cloth, spray three passes and let dry until morning.

Before spraying the next coat, wet sand the finish to remove any runs or particles that may have settled onto the finish. Start lightly with #400, #600 and end with #800. Let the surface dry and repeat yesterdays schedule. I.e., three passes, let dry three hours then repeat and then repeat. Let to the finish dry overnight and sand as you did the first day.

The third days spraying is a "re-repeat". Summing up this spray technique, spray three passes to make a coat, allow each coat to dry at least three hours and spray no more than three coats a day for at least three days. Hence, "The Rule of Threes". "

I've gotten away with not waiting as long as recommended above. It also depends on the temperature. Good Luck!

:snyper:
Last edited by Ippon at Jan 13, 2007,