Poll: ever been in a guitar battle?
Poll Options
View poll results: ever been in a guitar battle?
yes
40 20%
no
165 80%
Voters: 205.
Page 1 of 2
Yeah, we got all of the best guitarists from all the high schools around my town and stuff and we put together a little show called 'shredfest 06'. It was pretty nuts, we jammed on a bunch of songs in the fashion of G3's jams. We did a cover of 'La Grange' where we changed the key at every turnaround, "Voodoo Child', and a Chick Corea song. It was badass.
When I Was 13 I Was Better Than Some Twenty Year Old....so I Decided To Have A Battle To Prove It...and Of Course I Won...so They Got Piss And Scratched My Dad's Car...good Times :d
Quote by pabloismad
When I Was 13 I Was Better Than Some Twenty Year Old....so I Decided To Have A Battle To Prove It...and Of Course I Won...so They Got Piss And Scratched My Dad's Car...good Times :d

Did they also disable your left pinky into pressing the shift key every word?

I have never been in a guitar battle, I don't know if I was really recognised as a guitarist at my old school
Quote by Mathamology
Did they also disable your left pinky into pressing the shift key every word?

No, that's what happens now if you have caps lock on.

I've never really been in a guitar battle, but I imagine that I will eventually.
I'm a person.
I've never been in a guitar battle, but when I get my 4nps faster than 100bpm (16th notes) I want to shred my ass off in a battle lol. But till' then, I need to work on a lot of aspects of being a shred guitarist.
well, i dunno if this counts but...
When my brother was starting to learn bass, some bloke across the road would like put his amp loud just to show off whenever my brother started to play (because you know, bass can be heard from far away). He was pretty bad and it annoyed me, so one time i just turned up my amp and showed him up. I haven't heard him play since.
Quote by blynd_snyper
my dad works in the UN, and in the building they have this old AK 47 that had been converted to a guitar. It's amazing

i have one too. just look at the picture
well my freind would "try" to challenge me. It was all in good fun, he would try to to some bluesy licks(hes only been playing for a year or so) and then i would kick his ass with mine, then one time he grabbed my slide and tried to play something. so i tuned to open G and beat him again needless to say.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
well, whenever I'm just dicking around with some ska progressions, metalhead friends of mine realize they're better than me and start soloing and shit. So I'm just like: "sooo...? you're better than me and I don't give a crap." and they're like: "I'm totally owning you!" It gets so annoying after a while.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by _Mayday_
I've been in a few Crab battles.

It's...It's looking straight at me.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I've been in a couple, played rythm i my bass for a couple of guitar vs guitars one.
And battled aganist a couple of guitarists.. Its not about whos winning, its just for fun.
I'd like to play in one some day, but at the moment, I'm slow and suck at improvisation. When I learn to play at...er...3 times the speed I can now, then I'll consider myself good enough to shred some n00bs under the table.

And besides guitar battles, why not have a Banjo Duel? Or a Ukulele Armageddon? I'd love to see that.
Yeah i have...

That day my guitar didnt have a G string... Id been playing everything i do on that in a different spot...

Then this guy, dan, hes like 20 or somethin.. he's an awesome guitarist

He came up on stage with us and we were muckin around..

And most of the solo stuff i play is on G

I got pwned..
Quote by MarchOfEternity
Oh, and azza, you're a pretty good writer! Graybass is a god amongst men and you're turning real quick to be his new messiah lol.

Quote by graybass_20x6
You're doing good, mate.

Keep up the good work.

I'll take A for $500, Alex.
yeah, i have. a couple of "unannounced" ones at guitar center. then with a kid at my school who thought he could beat anyone at guitar (couldn't shred to save his life or his reputation) and the other guitarist and i in the band Tritone (we're a local stl band at the moment. nothing big yet) are planning to have one soon in an upcoming show.
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
i've been in one, this arrogant stupid emo kid thought he was better than me...long story short, i was shredding, he was powerchording
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
^^^ ahahahahahahahah stupid emo kids
The Big Three

i know, seriously, it was just a minor annoyance, really...it was all gay, he picked up an acoustic and played some gay progression...and he's like "beat that"

so i grabbed someone's guitar, plugged it into a battery amp and started shredding

and walked off
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
A little off topic, but I dont understand why shredding is so popular. Id rather listen to a good powerchord riff than 90% of shred.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
powerchord riffs take no talent, shredding is terribly difficult to do and way less common than powerchord riffs
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

But most people who shred make it so boring and generic.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
true, but its when you can do it, people know you can, and you don't have to shred or you use it sparingly, instead of going all yngwie, that its sounds beautiful and adds to the music. a perfect example is Lotus Feet by Steve Vai. he doesn't to any real shreding until the end and it works amazingly well
The Big Three

i could've done a powerchord progression, i could've done boring soloing, but since i didn't have any band behind me, i did some all out shredding, much more impressive than anything else i could've done without a band behind me
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

Not yet but me and my friend are planning on dueling once both our bands get sorted out.
Quote by wylde_guy
powerchord riffs take no talent, shredding is terribly difficult to do and way less common than powerchord riffs

That's one of the most childish things i've ever heard.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air

My Gear:
1981 Gibson Spirit
1979 Ovation Balladeer
1999 Jay Turser JT 72F
1981 Fender Strat

Messa Boogie 60 watt tube
Marshall 12 watt practise amp
I won
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
Mine was in a guitar store, and this guy brought his girlfriend in to show her his stuff on a guitar. So I was sitting there already just jammin to myself when he starts to play what I play, showing off to his girlfriend. so I kinda got just a little mad, this guy is making me look bad, so i just pull of some penitonic shred with some arpeggio tapping, and after that he got up and left with his girlfriend.....Served that guy right:P:
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

I was playing my first solo gig, and there was an interval in my set, so in the interval this guy comes up to me,(emos, why?), and claimed to be better than me. At the time I said nothing, jut laughed and walked away, but when i started my set again I invited this guy onto the stage for a deul, n the crowd went nuts! shame was that he sucked,(i mean sucked balls), and tried winning with green day riffs! so i just got my modal licks out the bag n owned him lol.

trouble is, now every emo on the planet hates me. Ah well...
Quote by wylde_guy

probably one of the most immature/ignorant things I've ever heard. Also, I went to your "home page" myspace and listened to the recordings there, and theres nothing technically impressive at all, not to mention that almost all of the rythym tracks use nothing but 5th (power) chords. So I'd keep your mouth shut unless you have the ability and maturity to back it up

Actually, most of the people in this thread are extremely arrogant about their playing, so I guess i can't really single you out. Get over yourselves, people.
Quote by priest.fan.
probably one of the most immature/ignorant things I've ever heard. Also, I went to your "home page" myspace and listened to the recordings there, and theres nothing technically impressive at all, not to mention that almost all of the rythym tracks use nothing but 5th (power) chords. So I'd keep your mouth shut unless you have the ability and maturity to back it up

Actually, most of the people in this thread are extremely arrogant about their playing, so I guess i can't really single you out. Get over yourselves, people.

I went to the myspace too...
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
I don't find shred particularly impressive. It shows you have put a lot of work into your playing, but really it's nothing special. Play me a solo in minor pentatonic with all the emotion in your soul, then I'll be impressed.

It's the age old debate, speed vs emotion. Emotion will always win.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by rich_sg
I don't find shred particularly impressive. It shows you have put a lot of work into your playing, but really it's nothing special. Play me a solo in minor pentatonic with all the emotion in your soul, then I'll be impressed.

It's the age old debate, speed vs emotion. Emotion will always win.

Amen, playing just to be impressive is rediculous. It's great to have the ability to shred, but it should be used sparingly, if at all.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
Its funny how you all say its not impressive and shit, but if you guys could then you wouldnt be talking like that. I know Just pure shredding is pretty boring but just because you cant even do a little bit doesnt mean you have to say" It not impressive and its boring to listen too." Just aprecciate the skill and the time this guitar player went through to achieve where he is.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Back on topic...
Me and the lead guitarist in my old band had a star wars battle. Basically you do pick scrapes with wah and try and emulate the lightsaber sound effect. Pretty crazy, but we sounded like crap. It works well if you have the bass and the drums pounding out the Imperial March or whatever from the movie.

Crowds love it. But as i said, we sounded like crap.
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Quote by preludetowar
Its funny how you all say its not impressive and shit, but if you guys could then you wouldnt be talking like that. I know Just pure shredding is pretty boring but just because you cant even do a little bit doesnt mean you have to say" It not impressive and its boring to listen too." Just aprecciate the skill and the time this guitar player went through to achieve where he is.

We can appreicate it, but it's not something people should gawp over like the guitarist is some sort of God.

EDIT: Sorry for going off track, guitar battles!

I've never been in one, but I've seen a few. It's cool to watch when the two players are good, and they continually make it more difficult for each other.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Last edited by rich_sg at Jan 13, 2007,
Page 1 of 2