What does it mean when its an added 5th like when people say "the aerian scale with an added 5th or 7th"
Different inversions of the note?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
First of all, what the hell is an 'aerian' scale?

I'm no expert, but maybe what you're thinking of is when someone says like a Lydian scale with a flattened seventh for example. If we take F Lydian:

F G A B C D E F

Then obvioulsly an F Lydian with a b7 would be:
F G A B C D Eb F

I've never heard someone saying "added 5th", except for in chords. But maybe I am mistaken.

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

i think hes refering to aeolian, but if you have modes like, say locrian
locrian is like this:

1, b2, b3, 4, b5, b6, b7, 1

and some people might add a 5th to that to get a sound they like more so it would become an 8 tone scale

1, b2, b3, 4, b5, 5, b6, b7, 1

also ive seen it mentioned before using chromatics, like playing from 1 to 2, people might say i added a flat 2

i also see it a lot in straight up minor(also known as aeolian)

which is:

1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 1
people, including me, will add a flat 5 to get a dimished, tension creating sound, so it becomes

1, 2, b3, 4, b5, 5, b6, b7, 1

granted, i wouldnt play through the scale like that if im just warming up with scales, but if im writing things and want a specific sound i might do that
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
You can have scales with an added tone, like for instance A aeolian with an added major 7th would be A B C D E F G G# A, the G# being the added major 7th--this is a bebop scale, but I forget which one exactly... Dorian? I forget.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Quote by gogita21
You can have scales with an added tone, like for instance A aeolian with an added major 7th would be A B C D E F G G# A, the G# being the added major 7th--this is a bebop scale, but I forget which one exactly... Dorian? I forget.

The Bebop dorian scale has a chromatic passing note between the minor third and fourth, 1 - 2 - b3 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - b7.

The scale you posted might be considered the C bebop major scale, which has a chromatic passing note between the fifth and major sixth, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - #5 - 6 - 7.. so you get C - D - E - F - G - G# - A - B.
Quote by Johnljones7443
The Bebop dorian scale has a chromatic passing note between the minor third and fourth, 1 - 2 - b3 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - b7.

The scale you posted might be considered the C bebop major scale, which has a chromatic passing note between the fifth and major sixth, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - #5 - 6 - 7.. so you get C - D - E - F - G - G# - A - B.

Ah, ok, thanks. I see now.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.