Iv heard about nylon strings and was wounder what is the difference between steel strings and nylon.

my guitar has steel and it feels like it is digging into my fingers. do you get this with nylon???
Quote by somewhat_here
nylon strings are for classical acoustic guitars.

exactly, with nylon strings you won't have that feeling like its digging into your fingers.
they sound flatter than steel string though. if you want nylon strings just put them on your guitar, but if you have a classical guitar don't put steel strings on it !!!!
the neck will bend immediatly cuz a classical guitar can't hold the pressure of the steel strings.
nylon strings are used in classical guitar most of the time, the sound is smoother and if you have a good picking handm you can make it sound amazing (listen to andres segovia)

Steel strings are used in most guitars, they have a brighter sound, listen to doc watson
If you plan on playing steel string, which you probably should if you plan on playing any sort of pop song (Led Zeppelin or whoever else might be on the radio included) then tough out the steel string. If you plan on actually learning classical music, and learning right hand technique, then get a nylon. I suggest against using it as a stepping stone though, it's really not worth it. Most every single guitarist had to play through that pain.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
i was wondering, which bass gutair is the best for a low price i was thinking of a fender and ibanez do u think those would be good?
SmashingPumkins is awsome\headbang:
Quote by nightwind
If you plan on playing steel string, which you probably should if you plan on playing any sort of pop song (Led Zeppelin or whoever else might be on the radio included) then tough out the steel string. If you plan on actually learning classical music, and learning right hand technique, then get a nylon. I suggest against using it as a stepping stone though, it's really not worth it. Most every single guitarist had to play through that pain.

Pop? Led Zepplin? Isnt pop like Justin Temberlake or however you spell his name
As was mentioned finger pain is normal. However it might be wroth looking into getting a setup for your guitar. It's quite possible the action is higher than it should. If you get that fixed up you might find playing is a lot easier.
stick with the steel strings my friend your fingers will harden up and youll soon be able to put cigerettes out with them, or forest fires depending on your needs. fragydig is right led zeppelin is NOT pop you crazy sonofabitch
Quote by fragydig529
Pop? Led Zepplin? Isnt pop like Justin Temberlake or however you spell his name

Pop is music that gets radio play, including Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and tons of other bands.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Pop is music that gets radio play, including Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and tons of other bands.

fair point mate but i always thought that led zep never released a single in the uk and their music was album orientated and therefore didnt make the charts. pop music is generally a grey area and you talk all day about what is and isn't pop, to me pop music comes from someone who wants to be noticed and is someone your mother would like to take home, which led zep ain't.
is it possible to put classical nylong strings on an acoustic, like a dreadnought? and i'm pretty sure women in my mother's age bracket wouldn't mind a whole lotta love from robert plant, that was aroudn their time wasn't it?
ha ha good comeback, but i ment take home to mother not take home to bed!
dont mean to sound like an idiot but whats a dreadnought? im pretty sure you can put nylon strings on any guitar bacause they dont have as high a tension as steels, i think its only bad to put steels on a classical guitar.
a dreadnought is just some a type of acoustic. kinda the generic shape i guess that most come in. my old classical strings that i just replaced had the metal bulb things at the end but i didn't wanna unstring my acoustic too and check if they would work. anybody know?
Quote by somewhat_here
is it possible to put classical nylong strings on an acoustic, like a dreadnought? and i'm pretty sure women in my mother's age bracket wouldn't mind a whole lotta love from robert plant, that was aroudn their time wasn't it?

Yes, you can put nylon strings on a steel-string acoustic, but it might not sound the greatest. However (though I'm sure you know this, some might not) NEVER, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, put steel strings on a nylon-string guitar. The guitar will bend over double in no time.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.