it's my dream amp, so i looked up if the ac30 would perform well with an OD pedal. the thread helped a lot, pretty much exactly what i was asking, but not necessarily asking for metal tones.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500651&page=2&pp=10&highlight=vox+ac30

would my mxr zakk wylde overdrive do this amp justice?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
yup, i use a blues driver, and it sounds great.

i have the top boost channel mixed with the normal channel, top boost channel is cranked all the way up, and hte normal channel is at 2 oclock.

THe thign with the ac 30 is that the EQ works very differently than most eq, if you want to et rid of hte mids in the amp, keep the bass and treble very low on the EQ, dont boost them, the higher you put the bass and treble the higher the mids will sound out...er its weird, but thats the way it is,

But go try it out for yourself
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Last edited by ark at Jan 13, 2007,
works for me :snyper:
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

You can get a NICE hard rock distortion/tone with an OD pedal and a humbucker guitar. Its not that scooped saturated saturated distortion you get with a high gain amp and high output pick-ups but it's nice and tight. I would highly reccomend you try it first so you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Gutch220 at Jan 13, 2007,
oh oh. sounds good, though i've been bored of humbuckers and wanna get my hands on a tele and play it through the vox.

to GC!
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

yeah, i just watched it an hour ago or so. he wasn't using any pedals, and the tone wasn't overdriven enough for my taste.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Well you can get them quite overdriven, his might nt have been but it has enough gain for Led Zep by itself.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
oh right, he wasn't really cranking his much in the vid on the website, i think...?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

the vox is going to have a lot of gain if you want, i used it with a tele before, but it will never sound as saturated or as tight as modern amps. Its a very loose sounding amp, a real vintage vibe, just a high gain vintage sound. Its also very dinstinct and stands out quite a bit when youre on stage. For me, i think it works great, it really sounds different from anything youve heard before.

also its a one channel amp, so youll have to be innovative on how you want to use this amp.

i roll down the volume on my neck pickup, and when i set my amp with super high gain, i turn off the OD pedal, and switch to my neck pickup, and i get a cleaner sound, neck pickup with the OD pedal gets me a great overdriven tone, and then bridge and od pedal is rippin,

VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Last edited by ark at Jan 13, 2007,
Quote by UnsignedRecords
yeah, i just watched it an hour ago or so. he wasn't using any pedals, and the tone wasn't overdriven enough for my taste.

that's to be expected with a tele straight into an AC30
Quote by ark
the vox is going to have a lot of gain if you want, i used it with a tele before, but it will never sound as saturated or as tight as modern amps. Its a very loose sounding amp, a real vintage vibe, just a high gain vintage sound. Its also very dinstinct and stands out quite a bit when youre on stage. For me, i think it works great, it really sounds different from anything youve heard before.

also its a one channel amp, so youll have to be innovative on how you want to use this amp.

i roll down the volume on my neck pickup, and when i set my amp with super high gain, i turn off the OD pedal, and switch to my neck pickup, and i get a cleaner sound, neck pickup with the OD pedal gets me a great overdriven tone, and then bridge and od pedal is rippin,

yeah i figured since it's a vintage amp it certainly isn't going to be like today's amps, but i really wanna get into this type.

and i like your technique, i'll have to remember that for whenever i get this amp.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Gutch220
that's to be expected with a tele straight into an AC30

yeah, which is good. i don't mind that sound at all. but with my various styles, i'm gonna need more... uhm, for lack of a better term, options.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

i have some videos of my band live, ill post them sometime, so you can check it if youd like

i run an ac30 head through a marshall 4 12 cab, so its a bit beefed up from the combo, though i recomened the combo for cleans! they soudn amazing, im thinking of getting an a 2 12 combo to AB for my cleans when i have more money and a roady to help carry all the stuff on the road! hah,

VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by ark
i have some videos of my band live, ill post them sometime, so you can check it if youd like

i run an ac30 head through a marshall 4 12 cab, so its a bit beefed up from the combo, though i recomened the combo for cleans! they soudn amazing, im thinking of getting an a 2 12 combo to AB for my cleans when i have more money and a roady to help carry all the stuff on the road! hah,

hahaah, yeah please do post them. there's nothing like watching things live.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I've been thinking of getting an AC30, so far. I tried it at a store with a strat and it was just heavenly. Now I need to find a Bassman to try out. I'm stuck between those amps, but I'm leaning towards the Vox.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
I've been thinking of getting an AC30, so far. I tried it at a store with a strat and it was just heavenly. Now I need to find a Bassman to try out. I'm stuck between those amps, but I'm leaning towards the Vox.

man, thats a tough choice!!

i actually really like hte cleans on a bassman, its a lot more mellow than the vox, thats why i play my cleans on my vox at the neck pickup instead.

and yesss, ill post the video sometime this weekend,

VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by paintITblack39

hm, i've never been exposed to any bassmans, hah. tell me how that one works out.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

The Bassman is one nice amp. Of course I am a little biased, never having tried an AC30 ( I do plan on getting around to it though).
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by UnsignedRecords
hm, i've never been exposed to any bassmans, hah. tell me how that one works out.

I'll get around to a Bassman, but I'd only get to try the reissue, even though I want a vintage. Meh, I'll see how it works out.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
I'll get around to a Bassman, but I'd only get to try the reissue, even though I want a vintage. Meh, I'll see how it works out.

ahah alright good luck.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.