I'm looking to purchase, sometime in the future, a guitar that can soundly play a wide range of Indie music tones. Now, I know this is a broad genre so I'd like a guitar that can get a varied tone, and be able to pull of great cleans, and exceptional low to mid distorted sound. I've been told that the ‘72 Telecaster Custom is going to be the best bet for me, but I want to ask a public opinion. As a note, my price range is probably going to be around $800 or less, unless I find a guitar that's so amazing I'll save up longer for it.
Telecaster, or an Epiphone ES-335 of some description.
Quote by Abe
Telecaster, or an Epiphone ES-335 of some description.

I find the ES-335 a...let's say, "Not-so pretty" guitar, due to the fact that NO guitar is ugly, but this is far from eye-candy, plus it's pretty big around. What model Telecaster, also?

Quote by Keef-is-king
I say best of both: telecaster Thinline!

I'll be sure to check into this one!
Well, I think the 335 is beautiful.

If you're not man enough to handle a big guitar, that's one thing, but, y'know... Don't try to obscure the truth.

I'll go against the mould and say... A Gretsch.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
Well, I think the 335 is beautiful.

If you're not man enough to handle a big guitar, that's one thing, but, y'know... Don't try to obscure the truth.

I'll go against the mould and say... A Gretsch.

um...I'd really hope that is sarcasm, but putting rude comments aside, what Gretsch, any particular model?
a strat might not be a bad idea
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
-1 John 2:17
Gretsch hollowbodies are like the ES but prettier so same size I'm afraid, I'd say Tele or Hollow body (gretsch for hollow bodie fender for tele)
But the most 'indie' band i like is Marrillion well they're labeled indie i see them as prog, anyway they use Blade Strats and Tele's.
Quote by Do_the_dew910
um...I'd really hope that is sarcasm, but putting rude comments aside, what Gretsch, any particular model?

well whats you're budget? because the proper ones are over $1000, but i got my electromatic for about £350 (not sure what that is in dollars) and its pretty good for indy but really its speciality is grunge or blues.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Gretsch hollowbodies are like the ES but prettier so same size I'm afraid, I'd say Tele or Hollow body (gretsch for hollow bodie fender for tele)
But the most 'indie' band i like is Marrillion well they're labeled indie i see them as prog, anyway they use Blade Strats and Tele's.

Well, I wouldn't mind the size if it looked a little better, although I know looks aren't the main thing to go on here, most Gretsch guitars are known for looking pretty good, so I'll visit the Gretsch website to see what I can find, thanks for the information.

Quote by donender
well whats you're budget? because the proper ones are over $1000, but i got my electromatic for about £350 (not sure what that is in dollars) and its pretty good for indy but really its speciality is grunge or blues.

My price range is specified in the original post.
looking from interpol and death cab, you can make a les paul, tele, and that es/gretch sounds as indie as you like.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
looking from interpol and death cab, you can make a les paul, tele, and that es/gretch sounds as indie as you like.

I've also been told that the guitar really doesn't matter, that it was ALL in the amp, but I know that guitar has at least a little effect on the overall tone. I've seen around 75% of my favorite bands that are labeled Indie use a Telecaster at one point or another, but once again I just wanted a public opinion.
Quote by Do_the_dew910

Probably the Electromatic range of solids.

Maybe the Double Jet?

Aside from that... Considered Eastwood?

Quote by StaggHound
Probably the Electromatic range of solids.

Maybe the Double Jet?

Aside from that... Considered Eastwood?

I'll look into those right away.
Quote by Do_the_dew910
Well, I wouldn't mind the size if it looked a little better, although I know looks aren't the main thing to go on here, most Gretsch guitars are known for looking pretty good, so I'll visit the Gretsch website to see what I can find, thanks for the information.

My price range is specified in the original post.

sorry, my bad, well yeah, if you're looking at gretsch go for the electromatic.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
sorry, my bad, well yeah, if you're looking at gretsch go for the electromatic.

Yeah, but after reviewing all that Gretsch guitars you guys have recommended, I think I'll stay away, they just don't seem like they are for me. This Thinline Telecaster really has my eye, plus the guitar I originally mentioned.
Quote by Do_the_dew910
I've also been told that the guitar really doesn't matter, that it was ALL in the amp, but I know that guitar has at least a little effect on the overall tone. I've seen around 75% of my favorite bands that are labeled Indie use a Telecaster at one point or another, but once again I just wanted a public opinion.

it's not ALL the amp or ALL the guitar. there's a million things that contribute to the overall tone. my les paul through my shitty crate practice amp almost sounded exactly like interpol. not saying it's always the guitar, but in this case, the amp only needs a tad of gain with mids and highs.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Do_the_dew910
Yeah, but after reviewing all that Gretsch guitars you guys have recommended, I think I'll stay away, they just don't seem like they are for me. This Thinline Telecaster really has my eye, plus the guitar I originally mentioned.

Well, if you want a Telecaster, get a Telecaster, don't pussyfoot around saying "I want a telecaster, but what do you guys think?" we can't tell you what you like.

Quote by StaggHound
Well, if you want a Telecaster, get a Telecaster, don't pussyfoot around saying "I want a telecaster, but what do you guys think?" we can't tell you what you like.

I'm not saying that is my final choice, just compared to everything else shown, it is superior to me. So don't say I'm pussyfooting about anything.
Tele Thinline FTW
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

get a G&L Bluesboy those are better off the shelf than fender telecasters
Quote by MAXWELLMURDER
Tele Thinline FTW

they are absolutely marvelous. my favorite guitar.

72 thinline, natural finish.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Well, indie is all about getting an obscure guitar that nobody's ever heard of before. Actually if you're into arts and crafts (lol) go to warmoth.com and build your own. That's what I would recommend!

I think Telecasters are pretty popular for indie.. I personally would recommend a semi-hollow of sorts.. see if you can find a cheap Gibson ES on ebay, otherwise go for an epiphone one. Gretsch makes some pretty funky looking stuff as well.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
It seems to me like the lower your gain is, the more difference the guitar makes. But that could be just me. Idk.

I'd say telecaster... good for what you want, plus an all-around great guitar as long as you aren't planning on playing any lamb of god in the future or anything.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
Quote by WayToSuck
It seems to me like the lower your gain is, the more difference the guitar makes. But that could be just me. Idk.

I'd say telecaster... good for what you want, plus an all-around great guitar as long as you aren't planning on playing any lamb of god in the future or anything.

yah,
Id say thats just you.

in jazz, a fender deluxe reverb will sound totally differnet than a roland jazz chorus.

Not to mention that in High-gain guitars make a huge difference..
Wanna sound like Slayer or Metallica(first four albums)?
Same amp, different guitar wood.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Teh_Zombie
Get a Telecaster '72 Deluxe, I have one and I love it.

So, even though it has 2 humbuckers it's still pretty good on cleans? This goes for the Thinline as well!
Quote by sandyman
a strat might not be a bad idea

Lets see, the dude from arctic monkeys uses a strat. Billy from the subways uses an SG but i dont reccomend the sg. I would say a strat or semi hollowbody
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Anything stupidly trebly, then just carelessly crank the amp.

Just kidding, although that's the case for most new "indie" music.
A Tele Deluxe '72 would suit Indie stuff, Alex Kapranos uses one a lot.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30