ok, so im big on gaming and stuff right, but my computer doesnt have a good enough video card to support really anything. i found out my computer has a PCI Express x1 (or 1x?) slot, which most likely wont fit any video cards that will support many, if any games. (correct me if im wrong)

so, other then completely replaceing my motherboard, which ive been told if i want to do i might as well buy a new com instead, is there a way to change the slot i have, put a new one in, ect. or just make my com able to support some games? (really only COD2)

idk if downloading drivers would do anything. the only thing that my current card is missing is T&L (transform and lighting) and idk if a driver would give me that, and i wouldnt know where to download one anyway.

now, im not a moron and i know a lot(fairly) about coms, but anyway, i want a way to play games with out buying a new com altogether.

please help!
John Entwistle is my God. RIP.

listening to you, I get the music, gazing at you, I feel the heat, following you, I climb the mountain, I get excitement at your feet.
<3 tommy.
Well, whatever you do, if a guy called Scourge comes in here, don't listen to him if he tells you to delete your Win32 Folder. In fact, don't listen to him at all. He has lost all coolness points.
thanks ill keep an eye out..lol

listening to you, I get the music, gazing at you, I feel the heat, following you, I climb the mountain, I get excitement at your feet.
<3 tommy.
Aren't most graphics cards made to fit PCI Express ports now?
I just got a new computer like 2 weeks ago, and I had the guy install a GeForce 7300 GT. I think they're like $125 now, maybe a little less. It can run just about every game on the market flawlessly, its well worth the money. Just do some research on graphics cards, theres reviews all over the internet. It just takes a while to find which ones will suite you best.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
no, see what the problem is is that the slot is only an x1, there are different sizes: x16, x10, ect, and mine is too small, no video cards powerful enough to run really anything will fit in it, as far as i know.

i already ahd bought 3 different graphics cards, the physicially do not fit into the slot, seeing as thier different sizes.

turns out i have the only type of gateway that either doesnt come with a good enough graphics card or doesnt have an x16 slot. just my luck.

<3 tommy.
Yeah, you do want a 16x slot, especially with DX10 around the corner. If you do get a new MoBo, go for a GeForce 7800, or 7900. The 7600 and 7300 really aren't that great and anything about the 7900 is pretty pointless right now.
I have 2 PCI 16x ports to run in SLi muahahaha. Anyway before someone with a PC worlds better than mine comes into this thread....

You would need to get a new motherboard.
And yes if you're replacing the motherboard I would just get a new PC all together.
I would also recommend waiting a while for DirectX 10 to come out. Even if you don't get a DirectX10 graphics card (which I hear are vista exclusive so **** that) the current graphics cards will go down in price when the new stuff comes out so wait a bit.
Either way if you're getting a new computer I also recommend building it yourself which requires you to do a bit of research about parts and slots etc. I built my PC and I learned quite a bit so it's all good.

Have fun.
I'm interested in building a PC and I was wondering if anybody here could recommend me a good graphics card to fit in it...
*Sigh*...Look a few threads below this one and you'll find an ONLY Computer thread.

EDIT: Oh for the love of God!
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee at Jan 13, 2007,
The only problem with getting a new motherboard is that it's quite a lot of effort for not much improvement. You don't have to get a new pc as long as your motherboard will fit in your tower/case. Also you should be able to change it yourself, so as not to have to pay for someone else to do it. Also you'd need to check if your other current components would fit. Like i said, it could be a lot of effort.
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"