Page 1 of 2
I want to know which one is all around nicer. More particularly the les pauls because i want to try out a nice les paul w/out spending 1k and then if i fell like it i will move up to a gibson w/in a year or two. Agile is cheaper and they look just as nice but how do they sound and play in comparison to epi?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
epiphone is nicer and its actually made by gibson, agile is a rip off brand, go with the epiphone
epi les paul customs are lovely
probably cant beat them for a non gibson les paul
but when you make the transition up to gibson dont go for less than the standard,
ive heard from many sources that the epi lp custom is as good asthe studio for example
AGILE, i bet none of the the posters above me have played both like i have... PLEASE get the agile unless your going for the top of the line Epi elitist. i would recommend a AL-3000. it an amazing guitar for the price.
My Gear
Agile AL-3000 Prestige Slim Profile Neck
Schecter C-1 PLUS
Washburn WD18SW Solid-Wood Acoustic
Vox AD30vt with the VFS2 footswitch
Fender PT-100 tuner
Vox wah pedal
I'd go with the less expensive Agile AL-3000. It'll be just as nice if not nicer then an Epi Custom for about half the price.
I can't speak for the Agile, but, I have three Epiphone guitars including a Les Paul. They all play and sound great. My advice is always the same, play both brands and several offerings from each. See what you think. An opinion is just that. What I play may not work for you.
Quote by danmanstx
AGILE, i bet none of the the posters above me have played both like i have... PLEASE get the agile unless your going for the top of the line Epi elitist. i would recommend a AL-3000. it an amazing guitar for the price.

Quoted for truth.

Seriously, the only Agile I've ever played that was flawed was an Interceptor in Violin Sunburst. Apparently those were from a different manufacturer than the other finishes, or at leas that was the explanation I got for that.
Quote by epiphonist13
epiphone is nicer and its actually made by gibson, agile is a rip off brand, go with the epiphone

with a username like "epiphonist", i think its safe to say you have a slight bias.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
if you're starting out agile's would be perfect if you don't mind not being able to try them out, i'd say them and epiphone are on par with each other, i prefer epiphone's , have never had any problems with them at all you'd want a pickup swap for either of them
Quote by Chad11491
if you're starting out agile's would be perfect if you don't mind not being able to try them out, i'd say them and epiphone are on par with each other, i prefer epiphone's , have never had any problems with them at all you'd want a pickup swap for either of them

Im not starting out, ive been playing for like two years and i just want a les paul without spending 1k. It wouldnt be my main guitar unless i REALLY liked it.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
agiles use cheaper electronics than epi but theyre basically the same
i perfer epiphone.
but nothing beats gibson!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Epiphone, that way when you want to get an upgrade you can go to a gibson.
actually. play on them and see which one gives you the tone your looking for, who knows maybe you like one better than the other
Quote by soul_power
Im not starting out, ive been playing for like two years and i just want a les paul without spending 1k. It wouldnt be my main guitar unless i REALLY liked it.

most epiphone's aren't 1k
Quote by Chad11491
most epiphone's aren't 1k

I was refering to gibsons.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Epiphone.

Most epiphones sucks balls compared to gibsons though. Just letting you know.

And no epiphone les paul custom on the face of the earth could ever beat a gibson les paul studio.

Well, i guess its possible for one or the other freak "accident", but its just the exception proving the rule.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Epiphones really aren't worth the money , and epiphonist13 , they are made in korea not by anything related to gibson either .
especially not the more expensive epiphones , there is pretty much no improvement in spec between some of the most costly versions(excluding elitists).
get the best agile les paul model you can afford and you'll get a guitar closer to a gibson in materials than an epiphone.
Quote by danzig-_-
agiles use cheaper electronics than epi but theyre basically the same
i perfer epiphone.
but nothing beats gibson!

Agile has upgraded their electronics. I recommend the Agile AL-3000. You will not be disappointed.

Alvin
I'd reccommend Epiphone - They are quality guitars, but not the cheap Epiphone juniors or something. Agiles are good, I've saw and heard sound clips of them, and I liked it, but I prefer my Epiphone.

:snyper:
Quote by soldar
get the best agile les paul model you can afford and you'll get a guitar closer to a gibson in materials than an epiphone.

I lol'ed at that. According to Algee-eater (Who is a luthier) the agiles als are made with lower grade woods than the epiphone ones. He appearantly checked it himself, and i don't know why he'd lie. And i don't doubt his competence.

Also, the electronics felt cheap when i tried the ones i've tried. One of them was the AL2000, while the other one was a 3K.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
Quote by Guitar-freak
I lol'ed at that. According to Algee-eater (Who is a luthier) the agiles als are made with lower grade woods than the epiphone ones. He appearantly checked it himself, and i don't know why he'd lie. And i don't doubt his competence.

Also, the electronics felt cheap when i tried the ones i've tried. One of them was the AL2000, while the other one was a 3K.

epiphones aren't even made of whole mahogany , it's a mix of alder and mahogany , u can't get much worse than that. and Algee has a beef with agile in general ;p
the higher end has the proper 3/4inch maple cap too compared to epiphones
That doesn't matter much when the quality of the mahogny and maple is shit.

And the reason for the alder in there is weight relief. A solid mahogny construction on that epiphone, with only a maple veneer cap, it'd weigh a ****ing ton.

Conclusion: Epiphone rules all, and agiles sucks balls.

hahaha, jk...

But only by a hair

Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
Quote by Guitar-freak

And the reason for the alder in there is weight relief. A solid mahogny construction on that epiphone, with only a maple veneer cap, it'd weigh a ****ing ton.

:

what you mean like a gibson les paul omg0z0rs!11! ;p
and they weigh 9-10lbs
Epiphones? I dunno. Isn't that what the gibsons weigh?

Epiphones are definately somewhat heavier than gibsons though.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
the weight i gave was for agile , and you're contradicting yourself if you say epiphone weigh more then a gibson , you just said the alder and the veneer is for weight relief
which to be clear it is not , it's just epiphone being cheap . the elitists got full mahogany and a maple cap(though supposedly only 1/2inch instead of 3/4)
Quote by soldar
epiphones aren't even made of whole mahogany , it's a mix of alder and mahogany , u can't get much worse than that. and Algee has a beef with agile in general ;p
the higher end has the proper 3/4inch maple cap too compared to epiphones

how is that bad? they're both excellent tone woods, if not the highest quality, that doesn't mean they're the worst, i don't see why agile's are so special, you get what you pay for
Quote by Chad11491
how is that bad? they're both excellent tone woods, if not the highest quality, that doesn't mean they're the worst, i don't see why agile's are so special, you get what you pay for

and the woods don't have to be bad , but you don't get a whole mahogany body like a les paul should be(and you don't know how exactly the whole process of combining them goes)and they're only special because you do get what you pay for , when in epiphones you do not ;p
best example of that would be the epiphone zakk wylde , passive emgs in a 800$ guitar ,makes me sick ;p
Quote by soldar
and the woods don't have to be bad , but you don't get a whole mahogany body like a les paul should be(and you don't know how exactly the whole process of combining them goes)and they're only special because you do get what you pay for , when in epiphones you do not ;p
best example of that would be the epiphone zakk wylde , passive emgs in a 800$ guitar ,makes me sick ;p
What the hell are you on about? Of course you get what you pay for, not to be obliged so would be a breach of the law.

n00b.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
What the hell are you on about? Of course you get what you pay for, not to be obliged so would be a breach of the law.

n00b.

do you have a reading comprehension ability of a four year old? damn kids
Quote by soldar
do you have a reading comprehension ability of a four year old? damn kids
It was a joke you dozy jebend.
Quote by MrCarrot
It was a joke you dozy jebend.

hehe sorry then , you never know around here ;P
Epiphone definately, i have never heard of agile in my life.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by soldar
hehe sorry then , you never know around here ;P
Hehe yeah, 'tis a 'musing place
Quote by metallica_death
Epiphone definately, i have never heard of agile in my life.

This mean's they arent as good as epiphones then??
No, no it dosent, you obviously have an inferior penis.

Soul_power, I suggest you go to your local guitar shop and play both.
It's the only way, different guitars sound and feel good to different people.
E.g I prefer my Squire tele thinline to a Fender tele.
Its just the sound and feel i want.
anyway
That was my 'Wisdom'
Leaders Of Men
IndieStore

-Gig Rig-
Fender MIM Strat (arctic white)
Boss ME-50
HH Performer 150.

-Practice Rig-
Squire Master Series Deluxe Thinline Telecaster. w/ Bill lawrence XL-500
Boss ME-50
Marshall MG15CDR
Quote by northy
This mean's they arent as good as epiphones then??
No, no it dosent, you obviously have an inferior penis.

Soul_power, I suggest you go to your local guitar shop and play both.
It's the only way, different guitars sound and feel good to different people.
E.g I prefer my Squire tele thinline to a Fender tele.
Its just the sound and feel i want.
anyway
That was my 'Wisdom'

I would but my local shops dont carry agiles.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
I don't think any local shops (save Rondo's in NJ) carry Agiles. So, you can't really try them out.

If it's Agile vs. Epiphone (ignore my sig ), it would really depend on the amount of money you're paying. If it's $300-$400, you can get a low-end Epiphone or a high-end Agile. In that case, it'd be better. However, if you have money for, say, an Epiphone LP Custom, I think the custom would be better than the Agile. So it really does vary.

It's not just one is better than the other in all cases. Generally, the more money you have, the better Epiphone you can get. I'm not sure at which point Epiphone gets better though. It may be the LP Custom, it may be something else.

Now, I'm not completely sure on the woods used on Agile, but I do know that mine is pretty much all mahogany, and with the slightly different body (the low end is a little wider), it outweighs every Epiphone and Gibson I've tried. I haven't weighed it yet, but I think it would be over 12 lbs.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
people who are down on Agile don't have one... I had the money to buy Epiphone - even went to the GC to buy one but after reading about Agile and Rondo Music - I ordered one - I'm really glad I did. I will be getting another soon as my AL-2000 is sweet but I'm sure the 3000's are even sweeter. Don't be fooled by the NAME on the headstock... Agiles are every bit as good as comparative Epiphones and for less money. I played Gibson in my younger days and Epiphone's ARE NOT GIBSON by any stretch of the imagination.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Epiphone, no doubt. It is 100% true, you cannot get any closer to the real gib, without an Epiphone. I have played both, have the epi, and nothing compares, honest. Don't be a fool.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Quote by Saltydog914
Epiphone, that way when you want to get an upgrade you can go to a gibson.
actually. play on them and see which one gives you the tone your looking for, who knows maybe you like one better than the other

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's not like he can't buy a Gibson later on because he gets an Agile now.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 2