my guitar is an ibanez grg170dx.. ad i just changed the strings on it, now the action is rly high and the tremolo bridge is bending of the body.. how do fix this
Quote by your mom
wow.. ggmIdas is so good in bed
Quote by your dad
basically, ggmIdas can pleasure the ladies better than me.. and he could totally kick my ass
It sounds like you increased the spring gauge.... i would highly reccomend taking it to a shop and getting them to show you, however here's the gist....

If the action has gotten a lot higher, you need to straighten the neck....

MAKE SURE THE GUITAR IS IN TUNE FIRST! If you look down the length of the neck from the headstock to the body, it should be roughly a straight line. If it's not, it needs tightening.... To do this, you need to take the truss rod plate off (little plastic plate after the nut) and use an allan key (or hex wrench) and tighten it by turning it to the right. Be very careful and move it maybe 1/4 of a turn at a time. Repeat until neck is straight.

To fix the bridge (i'm assuming based on your description that it's a floyd rose style) You need to take the back plate off the guitar (the one with the springs underneath) and tighted the springsa little way at a time (retune the guitar every now and again as it will go sharp) repeat until the bridge is parallell to the body.

Now check all the frets to make sure none of them buzz. If they do, either
A - you've over-tightened the truss rod (slacken it off a bit) or,
B - you need to raise the bridge (on both sides of the bridge there should be the stud pieces that hold the bridge in place, use an allan key (usually the same one for the locking nut) and raise this ever so slightly... 1/4 turn at a time, retune, and recheck

Hope this helps cause it took awhile to type! PM me if you still have problems

Lewis
OR he could have just bought higher gauge strings, in that case just tighten the springs in the back and return every full revolution of the 2 screws back there (if you don't, you will snap your new strings ).

But as far as trussrod audjusting....... I'd wait to see what tightening the spring screws in the back does first. As that's something that really shouldn't be attempted by someone this new to guitars and how they work . I think you really jumped a full minute before the gun there buddy , lol...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
i meant string gauge, it was a typo

the guy asked possible ways to fix it, thats what i gave him....

and by the way, tightening the trem screws before adjusting the neck will increase the neck tension, and bow it more... meaning more chance of fret buzz

sorry for being helpful

Lewis
Last edited by Lcollins1 at Jan 21, 2007,
ok thanks for the help
Quote by your mom
wow.. ggmIdas is so good in bed
Quote by your dad
basically, ggmIdas can pleasure the ladies better than me.. and he could totally kick my ass
If you don't know what you're doing take it to a shop and get it set up a few $$$ saves many $$$