i was sitting in study hall the other day and theres these really annoying know it all kids in there. one of them is a senior and the others sophmores. the senior was bragging about how he got into every college he wanted with good scholarships. then he started talking about all the classes he was going to take to become something super successful making 6 digits a year. at this point, him and the other kids he was talking to started argueing over who would make more money when they grow up. it sounded like they didnt care what kind of job they had as long as they became rich.

so my question is.....is money all that matters to people these days? would you work a job you hate, wake up in five years hating your career but tolerating it because you are making a ton of money? or would you rather work a job you love but not be making crap for money?
work isnt supposed to be fun. so yeah id take the money.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
I'd much rather be in a job I love and not make that much that make a bomb out of something I despise doing, and don't put any effort into.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by guitarslutxxx
so my question is.....is money all that matters to people these days?

Pretty much, at least in the school that I went to it was basically drummed into you that if your not on good money then you failed.

Quote by guitarslutxxx
would you work a job you hate, wake up in five years hating your career but tolerating it because you are making a ton of money? or would you rather work a job you love but not be making crap for money?

Happiness most definitely, a decision I am in no doubt I will come to regret many years from now
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I'd be a lot happier with a horrible job making big bucks, because after work what do you do? whatever the hell you want to!
definatly happyness for me. but it sucks when you are not naturally academic at all and find yourself struggling to get good gcse grades to get that happy job you want
There was this guy, in year 10 we had to do some career thing class, and my friend chose musician. Which averaged about $80AU week, and the other guy chose accountant, which was obviously more. He was bragging (like a dick) to my friend about how he would make more money.

I find it pathetic how someone could choose their greed over their happiness.

edit: I mean, how enjoys doing maths for work....
yo.

I BELIEVE
Yeah I've had this argument with my parents. My mom wants me to become some super successful doctor or lawyer making six figures a year. I don't. At the moment I'm really draw to teaching, a position that probably isn't going to get near six figures a year. My dad has encouraged me to do whatever I'll be happy doing - whether it's teaching, being a doctor, or even something involving manual labor. My mom? She's struggling to accept the idea that I don't want to be a money obsessed bastard going to work at a job he hates.
awww dude i'd definately go for something i love, ultimate aim in life is to be able to make a living off my guitar, don't have to be filthy rich, just enough to get by, would ****ing own
Quote by glowskulls
awww dude i'd definately go for something i love, ultimate aim in life is to be able to make a living off my guitar, don't have to be filthy rich, just enough to get by, would ****ing own

+50 billion gazillion million trillion, and then some
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
Well, a point that should not be forgotten is that chances are, at some point during your life, your money is not only there for you, but you've got to earn it for your family too.
It's real easy to say that you don't care about money, and I get your point, I totally do, but later, most of us will be earning money that will feed our children. That will buy them christmas gifts and pay for their education. There will be hospital and retirement home bills for your parenst.

If I have to suffer through some hard times and be stuck at a shitty job just for the money... Those alone are reason enough to sacrifice my own happines.
Quote by Renka
Well, a point that should not be forgotten is that chances are, at some point during your life, your money is not only there for you, but you've got to earn it for your family too.
It's real easy to say that you don't care about money, and I get your point, I totally do, but later, most of us will be earning money that will feed our children. That will buy them christmas gifts and pay for their education. There will be hospital and retirement home bills for your parenst.

If I have to suffer through some hard times and be stuck at a shitty job just for the money... Those alone are reason enough to sacrifice my own happines.

Yep :snyper:
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
id rather be poor and enjoy life, then hate it and be rich. Because if the money aint making you happy then why do you want to be rich?
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Id rather be happy.
Work isn't about fun, but if you work at a place you absolutely despise, all the other aspects of life begin to suffer.

EDIT:
Including your family.
Thorns Of Creation
Melodic Death Metal from Oregon
Check us out.

Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.
Last edited by Metal Disciple at Jan 13, 2007,
Quote by Mechanixx
id rather be poor and enjoy life, then hate it and be rich. Because if the money aint making you happy then why do you want to be rich?

I'd wanna be rich so I could get top of the line synths and guitars and basses and pianos and all that to play and write with to be happy.
Not making crap as in minimum wage, or not making crap as in around a teachers salary? If minimum wage, I'd take the higher paying job. If not probably the job I love.
Dickless.
I'll hate anything for money.
Killing is my business and business is good.
i'd rather have a job i enjoy AND a tonne of money.

but i couldn't do work i hate; it'd kill me. i'd rather be poor but have a job i like.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
i think i'm quite lucky to have geeky interests

i have the choice of going into a higher paid uni course of medicine which i'm quite interested in or physics courses, which have slightly lower grades, more interest in, and still has a higher than average average graduate wage within 5 years (ie more than most people) so heres hoping physics will be at least quite good (none of that listening to sounds for aliens - SETI - or mapping the sky for small movements, but something more interesting) and quite well paid.

I'd choose happiness over money, but money can help happiness, but money wouldn't be taken if it didn't allow happiness because get depressed and no point in living life you don't enjoy.
i pln on selling drugs for a living

i know, your jealous.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
I'd want to have enough money to be happy, which for me is just food, a room, guitar stuff, computer.

Really, that's not much right?
My problem is that I'll have a degree and don't know what to do with my life. My dad would hate it if I just played guitar for a living... and I think I would too until I got into a full-time band.
Put up with 8 hours of bull shit per day and get paid hellacious money for it? Hell yeah. I do that now for free so shit yeah, make me rich.
Quote by glowskulls

You know what's really sad? I read aim as A-I-M.

I need to get a life...
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
lol, I'm an aviation major in college. You think I fly planes for the money when the job market for pilots is crap? Or is it the fact that when I go to "work" I get to hop in an airplane and have blast flying around?

"The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly"

A quote from my former flight instructor.
Quote by A_New_Level
work isnt supposed to be fun. so yeah id take the money.

Just thought I'd let you know, the Boondock Saints were my inspiration for buying a blazer.

A blazer, black undershirt, and blue jeans is my favorite outfit
My God, it's full of stars!
All I know is I want an easy job where I have fun and I don't have to come home aching. Something like a music or French teacher(I only know a bit of French but I'm taking it throughout highschool) and here in Canada they don't pay teachers as bad as they do in the US. Starting from $42 000 and as you get more experience up to $75 000 a year.

It's fun, no hard physical work involved and I would probably love it.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Well that doesn't sound like a very hard job...
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by guitarslutxxx
i was sitting in study hall the other day and theres these really annoying know it all kids in there. one of them is a senior and the others sophmores. the senior was bragging about how he got into every college he wanted with good scholarships. then he started talking about all the classes he was going to take to become something super successful making 6 digits a year. at this point, him and the other kids he was talking to started argueing over who would make more money when they grow up. it sounded like they didnt care what kind of job they had as long as they became rich.

so my question is.....is money all that matters to people these days? would you work a job you hate, wake up in five years hating your career but tolerating it because you are making a ton of money? or would you rather work a job you love but not be making crap for money?

I'd rather have a job that I enjoyed and made a decent amount. I just need to make enough to live comfortably, not excessively.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
self made millionaires say you will only be rich if you have a job you are passionate about not that you cant be succesful in other areas it just helps.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
The problem with this question is that in general(Actors, Musicians, Artists, etc. excluded), noone likes their job... so basically youre doing it for the money... unless youre the type that actually enjoys your normal job... but you see what I'm saying.
Quote by guitarfan93
i pln on selling drugs for a living

i know, your jealous.

jail?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Well, your job isn't supposed to be fun, just like how school isn't fun. You're just going to have to face life, really. When it comes to you, you're going to need the money. I find liking your job for little pay to be selfish.
Sent from my iPad.
If I can live comfortably doing something I don't despise, I'll be happy.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Like most people here, I'd love to do something with music for a living, but there isn't much chance of that happening. I will most likely get a degree in college that will actually help me get a decent paying job, but I would still find interesting. I wouldn't do a job I hate just for loads of money though.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by paintITblack39
Well, your job isn't supposed to be fun, just like how school isn't fun. You're just going to have to face life, really. When it comes to you, you're going to need the money. I find liking your job for little pay to be selfish.

Wow dude, that was an incredibly douchebag statement
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by myself101
jail?

i could be a pharmacist!
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Who to say you can't have two jobs?

One of course is the one you hate, but that's the main provider for you and your future family. The other could be something you love like being a musician, but with less pay.

Or you could invest and once you retire from the job you "hate", start doing your own thing.

I'd take the money so I could support myself, my own family, and my parents when they retire.