Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new amp in the next 6 months and would like some suggestions to go try out. I'm looking for an all tube amp. I play Metal (metallica, Iron Maiden), blues and classic rock. My price range is large which is between 300 - 600 pounds. It can be anywhere between 30 - 60 watts( seriouse maximum).

So far I've found:

1) Peavey Valveking 112
2) Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
3) Marshall DSL401

Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages and anything else to add to me list. I dont mind having to buy an overdrive.

Thanks
If you can get up to £600, you can get better amps than that. The laney tt50 combo would be worth a look, as would a traynor ycv50, and an engl screamer (those last two may be like £40 or £50 over). A laney gh50L and framus 2x12 might also be worth a look. Or a peavey windsor + framus cab, or second hand jcm800 + cab.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i own the 212, it isint as bad as people say, i guess I got a great one (well, they did service it at the shop i bought it from) hear awesome stuff about the other two though, just try them out.
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
avoid the vavleking, other than that its really a matter of tonal preference, try them both out.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well im not certain if i can go to £600 cos im not certain i can get a job. Can anyone tell me of other amps to go try out below 500
Dude don't buy something just because you don't have the 100£ extra at this exact moment to buy something better. A good amp will serve you for years, keep that in mind. And being in the UK and playing mainly classic rock/metal and blues, you definitely need to check out the Laney TT. It's extremely versatile, and it's heaps better than the amps you've listed all around.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Chuck the Laney VC-30 212 into the mix too, saw somebody using one last night...lovely tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've played a vavleking and I absolutly loved it, I played a 112 in a store, and I actually prefered it to a JCM900 I played in a studio once. Preference I know, but I love that amp.
Originally posted by jimmeh
I'm gonna try and teach my gf bass. I've only tried once, and we were both naked and still in bed, so it didn't work so well.
yer but alot of people say they have issues with how reliable the valveking is. I'm struggling to find laneys anywhere except on GAK and i wanna try it first. The dont have them on the sound control website and last time i went they didnt have them. If they had them i'd try the laney vc30 with a tubescreamer. That'd work well right?
I have the valveking and it kicks ass
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
theres nothing wrong with the valveking I got. Changing the tubes on it will work wonders with it though. A great amp but u have to tweak and work with it to coax the sweet tones out of it.
The ashdown can do the heavier stuff you want, and its got decent cleans too. Plus they're going for really cheap at the moment. But its your choice, take your guitar to the store and try them out
As ive said its hard for me to find a laney to try out but hey ill add them to my list. I can't even find them on GAK (the TT). I cant find too many engls either

My List

1. Peavey Valveking (might aswell try it out)
2. Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
3. DSL401

If i can find them

4. Laney VC 30 with TS-9.(would this get metallica tones??)
5. Laney TT

Again if i can find it

6. Engl Screamer Combo

Any other amps that r maybe a little more expensive would be nice so like 600 pounds would be okay but any more slightly cheaper amps like between 300- 500 would be great to know about.
O yes i was wanting ur guys verdict on some of this amps.

Laney VC 30

just so i know its worth tracking down.

Also i havnt heard ,much about the dsl401. Are there any good fender amps aroudn any of my price ranges
Quote by The Postman
As ive said its hard for me to find a laney to try out but hey ill add them to my list. I can't even find them on GAK (the TT). I cant find too many engls either

My List

1. Peavey Valveking (might aswell try it out)
2. Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
3. DSL401

If i can find them

4. Laney VC 30 with TS-9.(would this get metallica tones??)
5. Laney TT

Again if i can find it

6. Engl Screamer Combo

Any other amps that r maybe a little more expensive would be nice so like 600 pounds would be okay but any more slightly cheaper amps like between 300- 500 would be great to know about.

where are you (roughly) in the UK?

Quote by shav0r
DSL401. It's just that good.

no, it's not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I agree with Dave, If you can spend 600 pounds, then do it now, even if you have to wait.

Better to get a nice amp now than to get a Valveking or a DSL and want to upgrade later on.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^ +1. Even though you +1'ed me. So I guess what I'm saying is,

"Yes, do what that Dave_Mc character said, he's a friendly, knowledgeable chap."

No he's not, he's a wanker.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im 45 mins away from leicester. I only really shop at sound control and this other place and none of them stock laney. You guys know any stored that do?? Well hopefully i can get a job over the summer. Can u guys suggest anything else other than the engl screamer combo and laney TT. I'd like about 3-4 amps to try out.
^ is there anywhere else that you're closer to than leicester? I'm not too familar with it, lol, and you sometimes find great guitar shops out in the middle of nowhere!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Birmingham and derby. But u c im right in the middle of all of tehm. The cities r like 15 - 20 miles from where i live
^ ah.

PMT is in birmingham, isn't it? I'm not sure if they have laney or engls.

best bet is to go to the laney and engl websites, there's bound to be a dealer list or distributor list, and you should be able to find out from there where the closest dealers are...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ anything that you can find within your pricerange, lol. I think we've hit on the main ones, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok well Would a head with a fairly cheap CAB work out better. Well if so heres a few I've found

Laney Vh100
http://www.laney.co.uk/site.htm

DSL 50/100

Okay i went on the Marshall site and there is a new amp out called the JVM. I have no idea of cost.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JVM410

I'm struggling to understand about wattage. Say for instance the dsl 100 costs like 100 pounds more thn the dsl 50. What i want to do is practise at home but i wanna play at some small pubs and my town hall. The thing is if the Laney VH100 cam in a 50 watt size then I'd go for that and if the JVM had a 50 watt I'd go for that. Would it be worth getting a 100 watt amp or would it be a waste. Remeber i also want to use it at home.
Thanks for all your help so far.

Heres me list to check out:

Laney VC 30
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40

Laney 50tt

Laney VH100

marshall dsl 50

Marshall JVM

Also if i did get a head what would be a suitable cheap cab? Like under 300 pounds.
i have the vavleking 212 for almost a year and i love it. you get a lot of bang for the buck. and soungs great all on its own or with pedals. u can get almost any sound u like out of it.
its versitile, sounds good on high and low volumes. and gives u pleanty of options for ur sound. its not too heavy. and its solidly constructed. but thats just my opinion.
Well ill go check it out. But my main question is to do with wattage. The 212 is 100 watts right? Is that too loud to use at home. Do u play live with it??
Quote by The Postman
Well ill go check it out. But my main question is to do with wattage. The 212 is 100 watts right? Is that too loud to use at home. Do u play live with it??

100watts and a 2x12" isnt too loud for home...just turn it down lol. Dont be fooled here by the "Get a smaller tube combo so you can practice at home!" Because its gunna sound the same when the volume is on 1 whether you have a 5watt amp or a 100watt amp lol.

Ive gigged with my 100watt JCM900 and its a 2x12". The volume was only at about halfway and it was blowing my loud ass drummer out of the water lol.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
100watts and a 2x12" isnt too loud for home...just turn it down lol. Dont be fooled here by the "Get a smaller tube combo so you can practice at home!" Because its gunna sound the same when the volume is on 1 whether you have a 5watt amp or a 100watt amp lol.

Ive gigged with my 100watt JCM900 and its a 2x12". The volume was only at about halfway and it was blowing my loud ass drummer out of the water lol.

that's a bit of an exaggeration (i can crank my 5 watter without earplugs which I can't do with my 100 watt halfstack, even in triode mode), but I agree. Anything over about 15 watts (and more likely, anything over about 5) is too loud to crank at home.

Depends on the size of your gigs, mainly- a 30 watter might be crankable at gigs, while a 100 watt halfstack probably isn't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so its a bit of a waste then to buy a 100 watt amp.? O well do u guys think they will release a 50 watt JVM. What r ur guys thought on the DSL 50. Thanks alot for all ur help.
Dave: lol I know. Exaggerating helps get the point across.

I dont think a 100watt amp is a waste of money. If it gets you the tone you want - get it. Dont matter if its 100watts, 43584383watts or whatever...because it really just boils down to the tone. Ya know?
^ +1.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Dave: lol I know. Exaggerating helps get the point across.

I dont think a 100watt amp is a waste of money. If it gets you the tone you want - get it. Dont matter if its 100watts, 43584383watts or whatever...because it really just boils down to the tone. Ya know?

That depends, if your a blues/classic rock player you want a smaller amp because you want power amp saturation. That's easier to get on a 30w amp.

But in all fairness, most 100w amps get thier tone from the preamp and sound great without pushing the poweramp. That's good cause that means they also sound good at low volumes.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Yeah thats what I mean. Its all about the tone you want; if your tone requires a small cranked amp- get a small amp. Ya know?

I consider a small cranked amp a kind of tone..for the record lol.
^ yea, it is though, Jimmy Page used it on alot of his songs.
U mean even if its a 100 watt amp and ur only using like 30 - 50 watts?

Well u guys have been a real help and im very gratefull.

Any more advice would be great.

The DSL looks good to me but i dont have tonns of experience with it. What r ur guys thoughts on it.
Page 1 of 2