what makes a band "progressive"? i've noticed with so-called progressive bands like rush, mastodon and blind guardian that they have a lot of musical talent, but that can't be the only thing.
actually mastodon and blind guardian aren't prog. i'm not sure what mastodon is, but blind guardian is power metal. dream theater, opeth, and nevermore are good examples of prog. i'm not sure exactly what prog is defined as, but i typically consider anything that blends old ideas and new ones from all sorts of genres and comes out with something fresh and new to be prog.
To be progressive bands need to try things other band's don't. Bands are progressive because they do a lot of things that are unconventional.
Pink Floyd is the ultimate progressive band.

To me progressive is music that progresses. You know, not just verse chorus verse crap.

Oh, and metal != prog
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I've noticed a common factor in most prog bands are the use of keyboards and synthesizers. I'm not saying that you need these to make a prog band or that having these makes a prog band, I'm merely making an observation.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by Muphin

To me progressive is music that progresses. You know, not just verse chorus verse crap.

yeah a big key to it is the songs dont go

intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus solo, outro

they have like maybe 2-3 verses, a couple choruses, some riffs that they only play once and whatnot

and also a lot of progressive is often associated with odd time signatures, polyrhythms, and polymeters

eg

money, by pink floyd, which is in 5/4 time
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Progressive bands do a lot of unconvential things in music, like odd time signatures, unusual effects or sounds, diverse song structures, and the like.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Random, but, my friends drum teacher might be opening for Mastodon on Valentines Day.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
I had a huge debate in an Iron Maiden and an Iced Earth Forum over this subject. In my opinion a progressive song is one which progresses in the way it is played. Moving from Heavy to soft, changing rythem every now and then and also changing the timing when there is a rythem change. Progressive also seams to have lyrics about "nerdy" subjects, eg. Science Fiction.

The debates i got into involved making claims that Iron Maiden and Iced Earth showed signs of progressive rock. I still believe that Iron Maiden's past 2 albums have been Progressive rock, but as was pointed out to me, there is no timing changes through the song. Without those timing changes, the argument was that you can't call a band progressive.

I suppose to answer your question, there is no definate answer of exactly what progressive is. Its just a style of music that doesn't fit anywhere else.

EDIT: Listen to some Dream thetre and you will get a good idea of what to listen for with regards to prog rock.
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
yeah, dream theater is amazing prog, check out the glass prison
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by EZLN libertad
yeah, dream theater is amazing prog, check out the glass prison

Stream of Consciousness is also good song to demonstrate progressive elements. There's a lot of interesting time changes and time signatures, plus really complex song structure.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
weird time signatures.
if consequences dictate my course of action

i should play god and shoot you myself
DT, Tool, PF, Opeth those are some big ones.

and just seconding everyone else. Time signatures, un-orthodox patterns of songs, and out of the ordinary synths are the biggys when it comes to prog. Prog is all about pushing the boundrys on music, so if something is way out there, chances are its probably prog. Oh, and the melvins are pretty prog also.
Quote by stringmagician
The Mars Volta are prog, end of story.

to bad they are horrible...
stuff that progresses lol...pretty much what everyone has said

take opeth for example - ive just listened to thier entire discography for 8 hours straight

their songs have werid timings, riffs change alot, they mix death metal, jazz,acousticy stuff and make it sound dark while also having some shred-esque solos

they use really werid chords and structures to songs....plus the songs last along time

black rose immortal lasts 21 mins

coheed and cambria can also be considered a prog band - check out "the crowing"
Porcupine tree is definatly a perfect definiation of modern day prog
From all the answers here, I feel compelled to ask- What is the difference between progressive and avant-garde?
Quote by madbasslover
actually mastodon and blind guardian aren't prog. i'm not sure what mastodon is, but blind guardian is power metal. dream theater, opeth, and nevermore are good examples of prog. i'm not sure exactly what prog is defined as, but i typically consider anything that blends old ideas and new ones from all sorts of genres and comes out with something fresh and new to be prog.

actually, mastodon is a band that some consider prog, others don't..
They really blend a hell of a lot of differnet sub genres of metal like sludge, doom, and other genres outside of metal, like hardcore, and even some straight up Rock 'n roll..

Blind Guardian isn't really prog though, I can agree with that.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Muphin

Oh, and metal != prog

Ever heard of Prog Metal?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Paz363

Too bad theyre absolutely amazing.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by Paz363

Unfortunately, that is an opinion, thus making it completely null and void to the point I was making.

Not that it was relevant anyway come to think of it.
i think everything about prog has been answered above, but The Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater is pretty much like...idk how to describe it...Uber Progressive? that song is freaking insane, who knows where they got the ideas for that song.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3d5dG-H3oFo
ultimate prog song. odd time sigs, instruments etc.

although they hate prog and they don't like that label.
The more you lick them
The more you like them

Not for the first time in my life, I curse my bad luck.
Last edited by Rundle at Jan 13, 2007,
also check out schism by tool, and as someone said, porcupine tree, i suggest arriving somewhere but not here
Quote by beadhangingOne
I've noticed tons of prog bands are a lot slower than most bands. They slow things down, emphasize on melody, but will still blow your ass out of the water with solos, and can still be heavy as shit.

And like msot said, time signature experimentation, different sounds, etc.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
many of the examples given as prog are closer to progessive metal.

If you want a more "pure" prog sound, you can check out any of the older prog bands,
Yes, Genesis, Rush, and Kansas are good examples, but you have to make sure you're not getting into their "pop" music, because they all went there eventually.

More modern "pure" prog would be the Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Tiles, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse

Also, Porcupine Tree, and King's X are good "prog" bands
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Spock's Beard? haha

Never heard of them, but the name is CLASSIC!!
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20