hey guys, Im taking lessons with this guy. He is a great teacher, but lately he has be teaching me a lot of jazz type stuff and songs. Im more of a hendrix type blues guy, but also like the jazz. So my question is if Im doing this jazz stuff,(and still my own stuff too) it wont hurt me in playing other stuff like blues and stuff will it because the jazz seems like it should help me in the other areas with all those crazy chords, and theory. Like I said Im still practicng the stuff I want to too. Thanks in advance.
dude learn as many styles as possible, only a bad musician is closeminded

if i had the time/oppurtunity, i'd learn every single genre known to man, even the dreaded rap

just because, it helps, with other genres, and anything musical

it also brings you to appreciate other types of music
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
jazz is actually similar to blues IMO except more complex...id say taht learning jazz would help you build on your blues skills
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
DUDE.
any sort of music will help yo udevelop,
give you new ideas and methods of playing and change how you look at musical playing,
many thrash metallers enjoy a lovely clean piece of work thats bluesy aswell.
to be a good musician, you should listen to all types of music really [apart from grindcore] to help you develop
Just learn the jazz. If you're still learning, EVERYTHING is good practice. I personally can't stand blues. I recognize and respect the talent and soul behind it, it's not for me. I play from Guns and Roses to Metallica to Killswitch Engage. That blues stuff really helped me with feeling the music itself rather than just playing it. If you trust your teacher enough to still take lessons, then he can't lead you wrong.
9 times out of ten jazz will sneak up on you in the middle of a blues riff and beat you up. Beware!
Hendrix was quite into jazz. He wasn't a jazz player, but there was an influence.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Only if you let it keep you away from what you like to play, like don't stop playing because you can't do a jazz thing, but realize that it might become what you like to play, and you just don't know it yet. Hendrix influences included R&B. Miles Davis was known for Jazz, but he loved "Machine Gun"!
Quote by timmEH
jazz is actually similar to blues IMO except more complex...id say taht learning jazz would help you build on your blues skills

That is very true.

It is not going to hurt you. You will gain a deeper understanding of music in general, and learn a ton of theory to boot.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Ive been going through Jazz stuff for the past year...

Improved my playing by alot!
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I don't understand how expanding your musical boundaries could possibly hurt your playing in any way

to the guy that mentioned miles, he actually sort of covered the wind cries mary - it was called mademoiselle mabry, on the in a silent way sessions (the sessions were chopped up to make the actual album) with john mclaughlin.

true story.
Quote by merfsullivan
9 times out of ten jazz will sneak up on you in the middle of a blues riff and beat you up. Beware!

It happened to me I've been devestated since...
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

Jazz will make you an immensely better musician than just playing hendrix style blues/rock. Learning music theory will make your guitar playing so much more interesting, and you'll soon find yourself writing songs and shredding like a demon.
Jazz will help your technique, teach you theory, and teach you how to improvise over incredibly complex chord progressions. You will grow as a musician so much.

That said, I see your point. You're going to start hearing things over 7th chords that aren't bluesy as much as they are jazzy. For jazz, this is fine, but not so much for blues and rock. My suggestion is to learn classic jazz, but also fusion, stuff like Steely Dan. That way, you can see how to mix jazz and blues and rock into a neat sound.

Just don't forget how to rock.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Jazz will help your technique, teach you theory, and teach you how to improvise over incredibly complex chord progressions. You will grow as a musician so much.

That said, I see your point. You're going to start hearing things over 7th chords that aren't bluesy as much as they are jazzy. For jazz, this is fine, but not so much for blues and rock. My suggestion is to learn classic jazz, but also fusion, stuff like Steely Dan. That way, you can see how to mix jazz and blues and rock into a neat sound.

Just don't forget how to rock.

Yep, for a prime example of a very jazzy blues player, threadstarter, check out Scott Henderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRp-ifFwODQ
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
jazz will teach u everything u need to know and it can be applied wherever. If u can play jazz u can solo like a madman, and be really intelligent with your note choice. Its the way forward, or for me it has been.
you sound like you're afraid it will change the way you sound and play right now. youre playing style never stops evolving, and learning jazz is never a bad idea
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
No matter what type of music you play, it will help your other genre in some way. I did metal stuff for two years, acoustic for a year, now I do alternative/hard rock/acoustic. But my acoustic playing really helped my rythym and with playing chords. My metal helped with my shred/speed. So now I can do rhythm and lead........
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by FretboardToAsh
you sound like you're afraid it will change the way you sound and play right now. youre playing style never stops evolving, and learning jazz is never a bad idea

I actually tried to learn jazz then after a little bit I was like, eh **** this. haha
Jazz is extremely difficult. But if he's playing blues, there is alot of improvisation correct? And jazz makes you like rediculous at improvising with all the little things you learn and stuff so it would help him in blues. Also I think jazz and blues are similar kinda.
But I dn I dont know much in these genre's
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

dude learn as many styles as possible, only a bad musician is closeminded

Focus on what helps you and what interests you. Master the style of music you want to play, and reach out into other genres that will help you do that. You don't see BB King practicing neo-classical shred. Why? He doesn't need to, it wouldn't help him accomplish what he wants to do.

Being open minded is about judging concepts based on their merit. If learning a particular style serves no purpose for you, it's not being closed minded to reject it and focus on something you'll use. That said, jazz and blues compliment each other enormously. Learning jazz should only help you.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Focus on what helps you and what interests you. Master the style of music you want to play, and reach out into other genres that will help you do that. You don't see BB King practicing neo-classical shred. Why? He doesn't need to, it wouldn't help him accomplish what he wants to do.

Being open minded is about judging concepts based on their merit. If learning a particular style serves no purpose for you, it's not being closed minded to reject it and focus on something you'll use. That said, jazz and blues compliment each other enormously. Learning jazz should only help you.

But it still wouldn't hurt him to learn Jazz, he said he wants to play Blues, but it's not going to hurt it. If anything it would probably help.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

Quote by yamakid17
hey guys, Im taking lessons with this guy. He is a great teacher, but lately he has be teaching me a lot of jazz type stuff and songs. Im more of a hendrix type blues guy, but also like the jazz. So my question is if Im doing this jazz stuff,(and still my own stuff too) it wont hurt me in playing other stuff like blues and stuff will it because the jazz seems like it should help me in the other areas with all those crazy chords, and theory. Like I said Im still practicng the stuff I want to too. Thanks in advance.

Yeah I agree with the others. As long as you are still playing what you want, dive into other stuff.
Quote by feltgrape
I actually tried to learn jazz then after a little bit I was like, eh **** this. haha
Jazz is extremely difficult. But if he's playing blues, there is alot of improvisation correct? And jazz makes you like rediculous at improvising with all the little things you learn and stuff so it would help him in blues. Also I think jazz and blues are similar kinda.
But I dn I dont know much in these genre's

Difficult? Ok, let me explain the simplest way to play jazz. ii-V-I chord progression, dorian over ii, mixolydian over V, and of course ionian over i. The rest, you're on your own.
Quote by IriShDroPkick
But it still wouldn't hurt him to learn Jazz, he said he wants to play Blues, but it's not going to hurt it. If anything it would probably help.

I take it you missed the sentence where I specifically said that learning jazz would help him play blues.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.