My friends and i have started a band im gonna need amp to gig at the moment i got a crappy washburn practice amp im wondering should i go with a line 6 spider 3 head and cab or go straight for a peavey 6505 head and cab i know theres a big difference but i dont know how long we will last so help.

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
If you're serious about playing long term, go with the peavey.
What type of guitar do you play?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Later on down the road, you'll thank yourself for buying the 6505.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
if your just starting in a band the peavy might be jumping the gun a bit, but it is a better amp.

whats the other guy got?
i have two at the moment an old jackson from the early nineties and epiphone les paul custom

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
Quote by biotech_godzila
whats the other guy got?

hes about the same as me a crappy practice amp

Quote by Gabel
probably

Quote by Gabel
Out of curiosity, what made you decide to choose between those two specific amps? It seems odd that you would chose a solid state modeling amplifier and high end Peavey tube amp.
Quote by Buzz762
Out of curiosity, what made you decide to choose between those two specific amps? It seems odd that you would chose a solid state modeling amplifier and high end Peavey tube amp.

well the peavey 6505 is a common metal which is the music we are gonna play and the line 6 III has lots of different modes but then again they all sound the same.

ps nice avatar

Quote by Gabel
If you can find a used Peavey 5150 for less than the 6505, get that. As far as I know, the circuits are exactly the same.
Quote by guitarphillip
well the peavey 6505 is a common metal which is the music we are gonna play and the line 6 III has lots of different modes but then again they all sound the same.

ps nice avatar

Thanks, and honestly, if I were in your position, I would avoid Line 6 equipment as it is all modeling, and, to me, sounds cheap. I can't comment on the 6505 as I have never played one.

I do think that going from a small practice amp to some serious gear like that, you may be in for a major "culture" shock. Tube amps require more maintenance and behave differently. Another thing you may want to consider is whether you actually have a need for that. While you can get great tone and volume from it, will you be able to make the most of it? Can you justify spending that much on something like that, or would something else be more suited to your needs? If you can answer those questions, then go for it. I actually started off gigging by using a 50watt combo amp, and my next jump up gear-wise was a 75watt spider II (Spider III is a big improvement, but still sounds cheap to me). I was looking for a good high-gain amplifier, and actually almost got a 5150 but seriously questioned it. Once I realized what my needs were, I got a cab and picked up a Carvin Tone Navigator, second-hand power amp, and a cab. It's got enough versatility to do everything I demand of it, and cost less than I would have otherwise spent.
i;d actually suggest a RH150DG3 G3 Series
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt