Page 1 of 5
After receiving lots of ratings, reading many reviews from several sites, personal experience, and so on, I've put together a table of the most common Marshall amplifiers and rated them on many different criteria. (see my other thread).

This isn't written in stone.
I am looking for questions, comments, suggestions, changes, etc about this table. If you think something is wrong, or should be increased/decreased explain to me why and I might change it if your idea is "valid" and makes sense. There are 315 ratings, I'm sure there could be some tweaks to make it more accurate

Questions/comments/suggestions/changes?
Last edited by Gutch220 at Jan 16, 2007,
man taht mustve been a lot of work and i commed you for it.....looks pretty good to me
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
That's great, can we get some reviews for DSL401's, DSL heads, and a few TSL's as well? I think that's important since they're what most people see in the store and I'm sure a few people on here own them.

Also, I've never had personal experiance with it, but aren't JCM800's notoriously unreliable? If so, why do they get greats and goods for construction?

EDIT: I completely missed the DSL's and TSL's.

Still, it would be nice to separate the DSL401 form the head, since the head sounds much better.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Jan 13, 2007,
Quote by TGM

Also, I've never had personal experiance with it, but aren't JCM800's notoriously unreliable? If so, why do they get greats and goods for construction?

I've never heard that. I've been playing them for years, and have never experienced any type of malfunction. I even have one thats 26 years old and everything is solid and works as if it were 1981. I've also never heard of anyone else consistantly having problems with them.
I dont think the construction quality of the Marshall MG is bad at all. Might sound crap but its a pretty sturdy thing.
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'
PM redh0tchilip3pp or rizo299 to Join

Co-Founder of the 'Magikarp was blatantly the best Pokemon' Club
PM me to join
I love how the MG's have so many red's.

This makes me want a Bluesbreaker amp.

Good job :snyper:
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
apperently the JCM 900 SL-X is perfect for me. Awesome
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

MG's are good for Hard Rock. I've gotten some awesome tones from my MG30DFX for Guns N' Roses, etc. Cleans are Medicore, and Overdrive is probably medicore/good imo. Constructions good, and with pedals MG's can sound great.

Those are my thoughts as to how you go about the table.
Quote by The_0thersid3
so, using that chart what is the ultimate guitars favourite marshall amp?

The chart is trying to find out the favourite, it's just giving stats of how good each amp is.
i no that but im just saying overall what would be the best if that chart was the only thing to go by
Quote by The_0thersid3
i no that but im just saying overall what would be the best if that chart was the only thing to go by

It'd be down to personal preference as the table has highlights for different styles of music, and the music styles vary between UG users.
Quote by The_0thersid3
so, using that chart what is the ultimate guitars favourite marshall amp?

it's not like that. it has nothing to do with UG preferences. It's just a guide to be taken however you want it. I tried to make it as objective as possible to help other people. I used sources outside of UG as well.
Need's to be stickied. I'd say it's pretty accurate and i would comment but i don't have enough experience in the amps i vaguely know.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
Great job, Gutch!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Gutch220
any other comments/suggestions to make it better?

Honestly, I don't really know what to add.

All I'm going to suggest is that you all will make a chart for laney/mesa/peavey etc.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Honestly, I don't really know what to add.

I'm just talking about from anyone in general
Quote by Gutch220
I'm just talking about from anyone in general

I know, I'm just saying it from my stand point.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Gutch this was a very good chart, i could do a new one with four rating if you want!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Just a question, what does "intangibles" mean?

This should be posted in the amps stick up top. Also, we should probably start doing this for as many amps as we can, cause it's an awesome resource.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
Just a question, what does "intangibles" mean?

I don't know, it's intangible. I guess for this chart it could be anything that can't be categorized
Ahh fair enough, like looks, mojo, desirability?
Most of it is okay, but the DSL and TSL have cleaner cleans than pretty much all the older models, and would be much better for jazz than a lot of them. I disagree with the "bad" rating there.
MG's a bit skewered.

Overdrive/crunch should get a mediocre. I've heard the overdrive do magic before.
Construction should also get a mediocre.

And finally, add punk to the genre list and give the MG a mediocre on it.

xD

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Thanks for the input. I will take it into consideration

I can't believe you play a Gibson V through an MG15
^

I love how the mg's and avt's are mostly red. mission accomplished! I don't think even I was that hard on the AVT, and I'm one of its feircest critics (having had the misfortune of owning one)!

EDIT: WTF? the TSL got green for classic rock? are you on crack?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what suggestions do you have? I want to make it as accurate as possible.

Just remember that it's all relative. If sombody really likes a certain MG tone, for example, you have to compare it to other amps on the table. Also remember, tone is subjective. Play any MG and rate the amount of "balls" it has. Some people might think it has a lot. Then go play a 2203 and compare the difference.

Also, look at the interesting progressions of "classic rock", "construction quality", "overall clean", "balls", "components/circuit", and "overall crunch/overdrive" over time (vertically)

Also notice the large range of "hard rock"
^ well, i'd give the tsl a yellow at best for classic rock, possibly even red. definitely not blue for hard rock, though granted that's a large genre. And I'd probably reduce its 80's score.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love it how the people who say the MG rating is bad are those who own the MG and nothing else, and havn't played any other Marshall amps.

Yeah, GnR tones my ass.

I'd rename intangibles to mojo, and construction to reliability, while making an additional colour (black) for MGs in that column.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Page 1 of 5