I play drums and acoustic and Im looking to buying a Epi LP Standard Plain top soon and I was wondering what amp and pickups if needed to get a sound similar to Slash's.
SD alnico II pro in neck.
and ill check what bridge he uses.
EDIT: a Fishman Powerbridge
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Jan 13, 2007,
prity sure its the same in the bridge, and some old marshalls to get his tone as well

PSN ID: ArranP
dude why would you want somebody elses tone
yea we all kno steve vai could of leveled that kid in crossroads
i dont get this part, it says i uses seymour duncan alnico II pro pickups AND a fishman powerbridge that can be "used by it self, or combined with the duncans"
what the **** is a fishman powerbridge then?
EDIT: apparently its some sort or pre amp shit built into the actual bridge. am i right on this?
i thought it was a bridge PICKUP...
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Jan 13, 2007,
Lol, what was the point of telling us you played drums? lol

Anyways, search what gear he uses, and see if you can get the same stuff, in a smaller version.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by danzig-_-
i dont get this part, it says i uses seymour duncan alnico II pro pickups AND a fishman powerbridge that can be "used by it self, or combined with the duncans"
what the **** is a fishman powerbridge then?
EDIT: apparently its some sort or pre amp shit built into the actual bridge. am i right on this?
i thought it was a bridge PICKUP...

Its an actual pickup. But Slash doesn't use one. It was built into his gibson sig model, but Slash doesn't even use those on stage (just like he doesn't use his sig wah either).

All you need to sound like slash is a used JCM800 (2205 with reverb) and a Les Paul. Pickups don't make that much a of a difference trying to get his sound when its all said and done. (as long as your pickups are decent in the first place).
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by RedHotFan182
anything besides a marshall that could get that sound?

Yes....a Traynor Blue will get you a sound just like his also. It'll run you 700 dollars new or 400-500 used.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Marshall Jubilee and his sig pick ups.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
You really ened a Marshall to get his tone - No other amps can do it as good as a Marshall. JCM 800's for that fact.
The Peavey Windsor shoudl be able to nail his tone to!

The Voxes might get you close, but a JCM800, Traynor YCV50 Blue or a Peavey Windsor will nail it.

Also the Fishman is a piezo bridge he uses to get acoustic "tones". But as said its in his sig guiatr but he doesn't use it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I thought he used Vox AC30s on the latest VR album ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Funny, we (regulars) were just talking about this yesterday.

Quote by Dirk
Thou shalt make sure you have the correct amp for the genre you (want to) play before asking about pickup swaps so you can get an awesome My Chemical Romance sound from your Peavey Classic 30 or Blues Jr.

Keep in mind that the Jubilee won't get you Appetite tones. In that album he used the studio's amp, which IIRC was a modded JCM800 (modded for an extra gain stage), that no one has been able to replicate.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
i have a fender fm212 dsp, and a usa strat, neck pickup, lots of on-amp gain, good slash tone. i love his tone but i cant afford a marshall or a gibson, but it works
Quote by xifr
Keep in mind that the Jubilee won't get you Appetite tones. In that album he used the studio's amp, which IIRC was a modded JCM800 (modded for an extra gain stage), that no one has been able to replicate.

actually it wasn't a JCM800, that's what he used for cleans on AFD, the amp was a Marshall Super Tremolo (SIR #39) or something close to that, the tremolo stage was ruined so a famous amp modding legend -Caswell- used that for an extra gain stage. i'm pretty sure George Lynch used that same exact amp for a big tour around the AFD time as well, and both him and Slash tried as hard as they could to get a hold of it. Slash actually stole it and his dumb roadie brought it to rehearsal one day and SIR recognized it immediately, taking it back LOL. great story.

anyway, this thread has a lotta slash-help info in it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880223&highlight=noobs+want+slash%27s+tone%3F

when i made it i was annoyed with all the 'i want slash's tone!' threads...but i'm over it. i enjoy trying to get his tone, with my own influence on it.

there are so many marshall type amps that it's hard to just recommend one, but DEFINITELY get an EL34 based one if you can, they make a bit of difference between the EL84s in smaller british valve amps. i think a Peavey Windsor (studio?) 20 watter would be nice b/c it's EL34s, 20 watts so it's definitely crankable and pretty affordable. it'll be a nice starting point.

in the end, a Marshall Jubilee run into at least a 4x12 would get you close, assuming you're using a heavy mahogany guitar with double humbuckers, a la Les Pauls. IMPORTANT: Slash doesn't ALWAYS solo on his neck pup!! misconception really, he does it bout half the time i would say. good luck, and don't spend too much time recreating his tone, b/c people will get bored easily with a slash-clone, make changes to it and make it original.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
why was a two year old thread bumped?

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
holy ****e....i think silverstrat posted after doing a search or something without knowing, and i assumed it was a new thread without even looking at the date...wow...

good call.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH

Yeah.

This thread is older than my account
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
lol....hey...i haven't crossed paths with 311zoso in a while since i started posting again...where's he hiding at...i get this '3 muskateers' vibe with you two
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
He hangs in the Who to listen to thread most of the time.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
necro alert!
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure