I am looking to purchase a new amp, and this amp (peavey jsx) keeps coming up while I search. My question is will this amp be able to handle heavy metal well? I am looking to be able to achive tones similar to necrophagist, wintersun, opeth, vader, slayer, empyrean sky, nevermore. I have tested the amp out and liked it, but my concern is that I won't be able to get a heavy tone out of it and will be stuck with lighter Satriani style tones. Can anyone that owns one of these amps ( or has just extensively played on one) shed some light on this for me.

If you dont like the jsx what would be some good alternatives for the type of music I listed. Price is not important, can be very cheap or very expensive, just looking for some different viewpoints.
Quote by pierce34celtic
The JSX is a beast, it is versatile, good cleans, very good crunch, and of course a nice lead channel. It will do metal very well.

Yup. Just because it's made with his name on it, it doesn't mean its *his* tone (similarly to the 5150 with EVH).
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
I do beleive it will do a good Metal tone. I have the 212 combo, and love it to death.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Chris Amott from Arch enemy used JSX amps with XXX cabinets, thats pretty metal.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Damn man it can for sure do metal. The gain doesnt even have to be up at all either.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
the jsx is pretty damn similar to the xxx

so yeah
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

wouldn't be my first choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you don't care about cleans, I'd also look into a 5150 head (or combo).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jan 14, 2007,
The JSX should be able to pull off metal, you can always get a boost if you want like insane gain. A tube change could always help if that didn't do it.
That loser shit's right out the window!
Quote by Cgc1215
The JSX should be able to pull off metal, you can always get a boost if you want like insane gain. A tube change could always help if that didn't do it.

I don't really understand the point of buying an amp that won't do the tone you know you want as well as another amp...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?