what is the difference between white and black korina? is there a major tonal difference, and what is it. i ask because i am saving up to build a guitar, and i want a korina/maple setup (korina with quilt top.)

on the subject, has anyone had experience with korina neck? if so, what kind of korina?
i think that the korina v's might have korina necks, so i guess i will play one of those.

while i'm here, i guess i can post the specs of the guitar so you guys can comment.

Neck
25.5 in scale
Abalone Inlays in custom shape
Korina or Maple neck
Mahogany or Ebony fretboard (depending on neck)
C profile neck (i think that's it: the wide nut)

Hardware
Gold Hardware
T.O.M. Bridge
layout: H-S-S OR H-S-H OR S-S-S OR H-H-H
GFS pickups, perhaps lipstick tubes.
Abalone knobs

Body
Korina body
Quilt Maple top
Transparent Red finish
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Light and dark Korina sound pretty much the same. The dark stuff is a little lighter in weight than the light colored stuff. I've never seen a neck from the dark stuff so I have to wonder if there is something about it that makes it less stable than the light stuff. I don't really know though. The light stuff is good for necks.

I'm wondering if you got a little mixed up on your fretboard materials.

"Korina or maple neck
Mahogany or Ebony fretboard"

Mahogany won't work for a fretboard. It's too soft. Did you mean to say Maple fretboard?
Not taking any online orders.
What kind of music will you be playing with it? I'm just asking because SSS lipstick pickups will be VERY different from a HHH configuration.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
"layout: H-S-S OR H-S-H OR S-S-S OR H-H-H"

Change to HSS, HSH, SSS, HH or HHH
Cos you should also consider two humbuckers.

He already has HH, in the HSH.
cord: i meant rosewood, thanks for that correction.
it would be rosewood on maple or ebony on korina. i actually might consider maple on korina for the neck/fretboard. the reason i was doing this is because of the tonal difference in korina and maple, because i like the warmth the rosewood adds to the maple neck, so i was hoping that the ebony would add a little bite to the warmer korina, which is also why i want maple on the top.

to the HH guy: i will not have a selector switch, so HH will be possible via one volume control for each pickup, as i have too much eq already.

and thanks to cord for the info, looks like i might go with a neck-through even, cuz i can just make light korina all around.
My Blog

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by mr_hankey

He already has HH, in the HSH.

Yes, but unless you go very custom, you can't have both humbuckers on together without a single coil.
haha
but i just explained how i can:

all pickups are always on, and the volume control turns it off. maybe i'll have dpdt switches for out of phase.
My Blog

i modded my strat copy to act similarly to the LP black beauty with its three volume knobs. also, my love of tonal versatiliy and converse hate of tone pots brewed up this layout. i might consider a dpdt switch on each pickup for off/on/out of phase.
My Blog

You could also try blend pots.

One pot, controlling the balance in output between two pickups.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
^ no, but nice suggestion. i might consider tone morph pots, switching between singe coil and humbuckers. they are just a volume control for one of the two coils of the pickup.
My Blog