I broke my high E string a little while ago, and when it did, it went:

BRINKURAGHNNNNUGNUGNUGNNNNnnnnnn, like a REALLY cool quick'e detuning.

I would immagin a whammy pedal could do the same thing without the cost of constantly breaking a string like I did (while detuning to 1 step down from concert)?

But any tricks with a vibrato bar that can achieve the same sounding effect (I know some quick dips and "boinging" while it's slackened can achieve a similar effect, but it doesn't go a far down in pitch) that I can I learn?

Basicly speaking, how do I reproduce this sound without breaking anything? (except mabey the bank :P )
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
well sometimes ill bend a string and my finger will slip and the string will fall and kinda get muted from ringing the open note. i t kinda sounds like a broke a string. sometimes if im not looking, ill think that i did and ill check to see if i did. i havnt really done it on purpose though but im sure you could.
^yeah i do that sometimes and it does sound like u broke a string sort of, but u could never replicate the real sound of a string breaking without actually breaking one.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Well, I'm sure I can replicate the sound using various effects, espcially MOD effects. But if it hasn't been done yet, or noone can think of a way of exactly replicating it, what's the closest we can come?

BTW, thanks for the advice so far, that's close, but it doesn't go as far, mabey that + using the vibrato bar to detune it further in the same instant you let it slip?
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
i think i have a way of doing it. make your finger slip off the edge of the fretboard, then use your trem bar and dive down really fast. make sure you get a very sharp noise when letting your finger slip.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Maybe throw the whammy bar down while detuning it at the same time? You'll have to retune, but you should still have a string