I have an Ibanez RG1570 and I've never had any tuning problems with it until now. I used to always play in standard tuning, but recently I wanted to tune down half a step and I've been having some serious trouble.

Ok so I can tune it down grand, lock the strings again and everything is fine...for about 5 seconds. Pretty much immediatly after I tune down, it automatically tunes back up to standard tuning. So, I repeat the tuning down process but the same thing happens again. Not only that, but as this is happening the floyd rose sinks slightly more into the guitar each time, eventually causing the strings to rest on the pickups.

I'm new to floyd roses and I've never changed the strings or anything so I'm guessing I'm doing something fundamentaly wrong here. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Help would be much appreciated. :snyper:

With a Floyd, the string tension needs to be equaled by the tension provided by the springs in the back. It's a pain in the ass to set-up each time you change tunings, but then fairly easy to maintain thereafter. What is likely going to need to be done is that the screws holding the claw in the trem cavity need to be loosened a bit. Do this very slowly as a small movement will provide plenty of change in spring tension. If you still need help I can do a tutorial with pictures, if you wish.
^thanks for the quick replay, it's much appreciated.

By "the screws holding the claw in the trem cavity need to be loosened a bit", do you mean the screws that will cause all the action to be raised?

You should have something similar to this on the back:

The screws at the very top. Give them each a little turn to pull them out slightly, and then retune to desired pitch. (you'll have to tune multiple times to get it right.) Repeat until you get the bridge where you want it.
Ah i see, I'll give that a shot. Thanks a lot buzz, you've been really helpful.

Quote by Witch-king
Ah i see, I'll give that a shot. Thanks a lot buzz, you've been really helpful.

No problem, I had troubles with my first Floyd Rose equipped guitar too. It'll get much easier with experience.
Anyways, The 1570 owns, doesnt it? Did you get Mirage Blue, or Mirage Red?
I'm back, you douchebags.
Quote by One Way Ticket
Anyways, The 1570 owns, doesnt it? Did you get Mirage Blue, or Mirage Red?

I used to have one that was stripped and refinished in "Desert Yellow." I ended up selling it because I needed the money for my car .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4

idk if this will help or not...

its for changing strings, but he uses a wood block about the size of a 9V battery to keep the bridge in one position... it might help with keeping the tension the same

just to let ya know, i dont have a guitar with a floyd, but i thought i might as well help
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
Tuning Floyd Rose

1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licensed Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by Buzz762
I used to have one that was stripped and refinished in "Desert Yellow." I ended up selling it because I needed the money for my car .

That sounds awesome. Too bad you had to let it go. Did you put a pickgaurd on it, or did you leave it the way it was?
I'm back, you douchebags.
accually its a really easy concept to understand and is really easy to tune once you get a hold of it oyu need to set up your fine tuners in a certian way that will allow you to tune down that half step and back to normal tuning when you want it.
Quote by One Way Ticket
That sounds awesome. Too bad you had to let it go. Did you put a pickgaurd on it, or did you leave it the way it was?

Had a blackened mirror pick guard made for it. It was by far the coolest looking guitar I've ever owned. I sure miss that thing... I almost want to buy another one to do recreate it.