Page 1 of 2
Who are you three Favorite Guitarists and why. What are you favorite pieces from each?
John Petrucci - The complexity and invetiveness - Metropolis Pt 1
Joe Satriani - Powerful melodies - Time Machine (song)
Adam Jones - His awesome odd-time-sig riffs - Lateralus (song)
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Alexi Laiho - living dead beat
DimeBag Darrel (R.I.P.) - either cowboys from hell or walk
Matt Heafy - anthem (we are the fire)
and Zakk Wylde, no favorites lol
they r just kickass guitarists
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Last edited by deathmetalboy at Jan 13, 2007,
John Mclaughlin (with the Mahavishnu Orchestra) - Sanctuary
Django Reinhardt - Les Yeux Noires
Robert Fripp - Requiem
Randy Bachman-Looking out for #1
John Mayer-Neon, or any of his live stuff
John Frusciante-Acoustic work is amazing, along with his stuff with the chili peppers.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Pat Metheny-Bright Size Life
Michael Romeo-Inferno
Doug Marsch-Distopian Dream Girl

BTW, thread is done all the time on pretty much every forum on here
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Page: Since i've been loving you
Gilmour: shine on you crazy diamond I-V
Lifeson: A farewell to kings
Joe Satriani: Pure technique, very melodic, creative use of effects to create own tone...also taught steve Vai how to play. song: Devil's Slide
Steve Vai: so original, so skilled . song: Probably "For the Love of God" hard to choose though.
John Petrucci: shred so accurately, every note hit perfectly, song: "Jaws of Life"
Yngwie Malmsteen - Got me into shred, and neoclassical style. WIll always love him the most.
Muhammad Suicmez - Showed me that neoclassical shred can also be extremely brutal.
Joe Stump - Also one of my favorite neoclassical shredders.
Steve Vai - Boston Rain Melody or I'm the Hell Outta Here
Faraz Anwar - Chairoscuro
Neil Zaza - Melodica (and his version of Purple Rain is outstanding)

Steve Vai for his mixture of different elements of life into his playing...his playing resembles that of a man who's internal struggle for spirituality is displayed through his art

Faraz Anwar for his abstract style and sheer virtuosity mixed with themes that perfectly express his personality in his playing

Neil Zaza for his amazing ability to masterfully display and express his feelings, using his guitar as the tool - his melodic style mixed with outbursts of technicality blend beautifully with exactly what he's trying to say

i have way too many guitarists to choose from, and there are many others
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Carlos Santana: Europa, Smooth
-He has the cool Latin stuff, but never forgets how to play rock.

Richie Blackmore: Kill the King (Rainbow)
-He has great technique and blends classical, shred, and blues into an interesting sound. If you haven't heard "Kill the King," I highly suggest downloading it.

Dave Murray: Number of the Beast
-He's the ace guitarist in my favorite band. He can play fast without sounding like a machine.

Marty Friedman: Tornado of Souls
-He plays so many interesting things. His solo in "Tornado" involves almost no blues, which I find amazing. It's based a lot on arpeggios and it is exactly what he talks about in "Melodic Control."

Quote by kirbyrocknroll
May have been edited... to BGC
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jan 14, 2007,
Larry LaLonde: Jerry was a Racecar Driver, Wynona's Big Brown Beaver. He's versatile and the music he makes with Primus is unique.

Marty Friedman: Tornado of Souls, Lucretia. You can tell a Marty solo from a mile away.

Chris Poland: Chasing the Sun, Cosmo's Thumb. His Megadeth stuff was good, but I love his solo work.

Eddie Van Halen: Hot for Teacher, So This is Love. Gotta love EVH
john petrucci - super clean technique
john fursciante - for his melodic tunes
satriani - for his nutty ones
david gilmore - to much to describe
Steve Vai is my favorite, and For The Love Of God is my favorite by him.

but...Slash, Jimmy Page, Roy Buchanan, Alex Lifeson, and Yngwie are all up there in my favorites though.
I've gotta give it to Randy Rhoads, Diary, Crazy Train, and Mr. Crowley are freaking great.
I like Anything with Eddie Van Halen (before Haggar), he set the new standard for rock guitar.
Allen Collins is 3rd. If you don't know, he was the lead guitarist for Lynyrd Skynyrd until the plane crash. Other favorites, Dimebag R.I.P., Yngwie, Kirk, Slash, SRV and Jimmi.
Jade Puget (AFI)- The Leaving Song Part II
John Mayer- Your Body is a Wonderland
Dave Matthews- Crash
Carlos Santana- Marie, Marie and Smooth
paul gilbert- "curse of the castle dragon" or "get out of my yard"
steve vai- any song by him is amazing (not that gilbert's arnt)
billy sheenan- bass is still guitar and he is amazing
Seve Vai - his music oooozes creativity and soul
Jari Mäenpää (wintersun, ensiferum) - technically brilliant and all his rhythm guitar work is amazing, hes a genious
Marty Friedman, Jason Becker - EVERYBODY SHOULD OWN SPEED METAL SYMPHONY
Shawn Lane - RIP mate, that guy was a guitar god
Last edited by Canada911 at Jan 14, 2007,
slash is my fav. guitarist, and my biggest influence, what he did on nightrain is probably my fav solo...
jimmy page is probably my second, amazing composer, he's written some amazing stuff, since i've been loving you is my favorite solo from him
david gilmour - i like his style a lot, real bluesy like those other two, but he gots his own signature techniques that i like, my fav solo from him is comfortabely numb (of course, lol)
Derek Trucks - Just about anything by him. Not too technical of a slide player but amazing still. Preachin Blues is probably my favorite.

Eric Clapton - Very fluid player. Not terribly technical but great at both lead and rythym. Overall great player.

BB King - Do I really have to explain it?
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Derek Trucks - Just about anything by him. Not too technical of a slide player but amazing still. Preachin Blues is probably my favorite.

Eric Clapton - Very fluid player. Not terribly technical but great at both lead and rythym. Overall great player.

BB King - Do I really have to explain it?

solid choices

my real list would be:

Jerry Garcia- For all of his fluid solos with the Dead and some of his cool solo stuff like Shady Grove

Steve Kimock- Always tears it up, but his defining moments in my mind were My Favorite Things with Phil & Friends, Ice Cream, and Tounge n Groove

Me- All of the jazzy shit I play
Jason Becker - Go Off! (song and entire album) Becker was an AMAZING composer. not to mention player. crazy mario like intros, and lightning sweeps

Marty Friedman - Tornado of Souls (well anything off Rust in Peace to be precise )Megadeth solomaster, amazing, simply, crazy exotic solos, melodic control and beautiful overall playing

Alexi Laiho - Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood - crazy synth'ish lead guitar, amazing violin like solos, soo fast
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
1. carlos santana-because he doesn't play licks, but he plays more of a melodic sound to his solos. his sound is very hard to copy.

2. Angus Young-because he has bluesy sound to his songs even though they're hard rock

3. John Fruscianate-because he too has a sound that's hard to copy.
jimmy page- so much of his stuff is good, its hard to pick, maybe dazed and confused, or since i've been loving you
slash- even though he doesn't play rhythm, his leads are awesome
malcolm young- he writes most of it, most songs angus just plays the solo
Quote by FarewellMemory
Joe Satriani: Pure technique, very melodic, creative use of effects to create own tone...also taught steve Vai how to play. song: Devil's Slide
Steve Vai: so original, so skilled . song: Probably "For the Love of God" hard to choose though.
John Petrucci: shred so accurately, every note hit perfectly, song: "Jaws of Life"

Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Shawn Lane : Aga of the Ladies
Allan Holdsworth : Sand
Guthrie Govan : Waves
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Quote by seek_&_destroy
Jason Becker - Go Off! (song and entire album) Becker was an AMAZING composer. not to mention player. crazy mario like intros, and lightning sweeps

Marty Friedman - Tornado of Souls (well anything off Rust in Peace to be precise )Megadeth solomaster, amazing, simply, crazy exotic solos, melodic control and beautiful overall playing

Alexi Laiho - Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood - crazy synth'ish lead guitar, amazing violin like solos, soo fast
what about cacophony
Ritchie Blacmore: Most influential guitarist ever in my opinion. Any live footage especially 16th century greensleves, mistreated, highway star, Blind man....

Malmsteen: One of the founding fathers of neoclassical, technique unsurpassed, great tone and performer too..... "Rising Force" "Icarcus Dream Suite" "Blitzkreig"

David Gilmour: Need i say anymore..... "Dogs" or "Sheep"
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Randy Rhoads --- Eric Johnson --- Yngwie Malmsteen --- Jake E. Lee --- Tony Iommi --- Jimi Hendrix --- Steve Vai --- Eddie Van Halen ---Zakk Wylde --- Rory Gallagher
Hmmm... Synyster Gates is a pretty good "nowadays" guitarist. seize the day was awesome.
but i dont think anyone could beat Slash....
Joe Satriani - Uber Godlike abilities and Originality
- Super Cool
- Unbelievable knowledge of music and his instrument.
- Just that damn good..
- Fav Song = Love Thing (unbelieveably beautiful song), and so many more
i choose not to list, because this thread would flood.

Steve Vai - If there was a galactic war and a it was down to the final battle and the winner
would be determined by his skills with the guitar, I VOTE STEVE VAI FOR 'TEAM
EARTH' TO SAVE US ALL. If it is do'able with a guitar, Steve Vai can do it, if he
can't no one can.
- Fav Songs = Touching Tongues, Die To Live and many more..

Eric Johnson - What a guitar tone.
- All round nice dude
- Originality in abundance
- Fav Songs = Manhattan, Cliffs Of Dover, Desert Rose (yes, i actually like it)

Peace!!
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Quote by joannamcbeth
Hmmm... Synyster Gates is a pretty good "nowadays" guitarist. seize the day was awesome.
but i dont think anyone could beat Slash....
Syn!!!! **** NO DONT SAY THAT SHIT

any1 who uses a sweatband to mute their strings LIVE should be shot, unless they are doing some crazy 14string 2 hand tapping of some sort

you dont know any virtuoso guitarists im assuming

,......obviously...you like my chemical romance
ive seen that sweat band thing.. i think its weak.. LEARN TO MUTE!!
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Jimmy Page - fave song would probably be ..... In my time of dying, or heartbreaker

Jack White - fave song Black Math... or Ball & Biscuit

Eric Clapton - fave song Strange Brew.. or Layla
Zeppelin Rule!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2